Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My toddler needs to gain weight
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 7:11 pm
My son is 18 months old and we went for his check. Since his last at 15 months old he only gained 2 oz.
He is now off the chart in weight he is so low. His curve went from being in the 50th percentile at birth, then a few months later down to 25th then down to 10th and now not even on the chart.

My dr. said I have one month to have him gain something....be it a few oz. or ideally a whole pound....or they will have to run a panel of bloodwork.
My son eats but he is very active. I need to focus more on his meals - they tend to go quickly. He eats what he wants then wont eat anymore. If I give him something he doesnt want it goes on the floor and when he is done anything left on his tray goes on the floor. He doesnt eat meat or chicken yet. He eats eggs, pizza, spinach patties, pasta. I am going to buy chicken nuggets and try that - regular baked chicken he rejected. He eats ice cream everyday.

My dr. said to give protein shakes like ensure now.

I am nervous....I dont know why he is gaining nothing.
What can I try to do for him?

interboro2

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 7:20 pm
I have a similar problem with my now almost 2 year old. by his 18 month checkup the doc sent me to a nutritionist cause he's almost not gaining any weight. he is also very active and eats almost anything I give him. when I told the nutritionist what he is eating throughout the day, she said oh well try to give him milk instead of water. I guess its a nature of a child.

sarahmalka

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 7:26 pm
Oy, I so sympathize with you! Similar situation, older child now (3) but the weight and eating issues started about 1 and a half years ago and continue. I couldn't tell exactly if your son is rejecting foods or simply too busy and distractible, but anyway, here are some things you can try:
- definitely introduce meat, chicken nuggets, drumsticks, lamb chops (things he can hold on his own)
- yogurt (whole fat, not low fat or non-fat) and try plain and add your own sweetener b/c the sweetened varieties have so much sugar.
- pancakes: and you can increase their fat and nutritional content by adding things like bananas, pureed zucchini or sweet potato, coconut oil, ground flaxseed
- with scrambled eggs you can add a bit of tahini to increase fat and nutrition
- avocado pieces, cubes of cheese
- nut butter (peanut, cashew, sunflower seed, almond, etc.) on toast, rice cakes, waffles
Avocado & nuts have good fats to help with weight gain
- serve his meals and snacks in a tray with a bunch of small compartments, like a small ice cube tray. Put his food in small pieces in each cubicle. It's interesting for him, nice to look at, distracting.

Keep offering foods, even if he rejects them once, twice, 3 times... just keep trying. An OT friend just told me to try these 2 strategies: if he rejects a food, tell him he just has to 'give it a kiss' even if he's not going to eat it. Continue that, then eventually he has to touch it with his tongue/give it a lick- the idea being to gradually get him used to different flavors and textures. The other strategy is if he is not eating something on his plate, to say "Ok, I'll eat it then." Kids being the possessive creatures that they are will often say "Nooo, it's mine" and then eat it. Believe it or not, this is working for us. I am going to look into getting my son evaluated for feeding/sensory issues by an OT just to make sure I'm covering all the bases. This is free in the USA up to age 3, so you might consider that. Any Early Intervention program can help guide you.
Finally, let him play with something at the table while he is eating, to keep him there for longer- a book or special toy- something to distract him while you are getting food into his mouth!

grin

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 8:05 pm
first off, he needs to eat nutritious filling foods - don't give him ice cream, the sugar can actually kill his appetite. and no matter what your weight is, empty calories are still empty. I wouldn't give him pizza either.

does he eat fruits and vegetables? a lack of vitamins can depress your appetite. maybe even consider a daily multiple vitamin.

and what's so terrifying anyhow about blood-work? sounds like a good idea to me.

IloveHashem613

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
My son is 18 months old and we went for his check. Since his last at 15 months old he only gained 2 oz.
He is now off the chart in weight he is so low. His curve went from being in the 50th percentile at birth, then a few months later down to 25th then down to 10th and now not even on the chart.

My dr. said I have one month to have him gain something....be it a few oz. or ideally a whole pound....or they will have to run a panel of bloodwork.
My son eats but he is very active. I need to focus more on his meals - they tend to go quickly. He eats what he wants then wont eat anymore. If I give him something he doesnt want it goes on the floor and when he is done anything left on his tray goes on the floor. He doesnt eat meat or chicken yet. He eats eggs, pizza, spinach patties, pasta. I am going to buy chicken nuggets and try that - regular baked chicken he rejected. He eats ice cream everyday.

My dr. said to give protein shakes like ensure now.

I am nervous....I dont know why he is gaining nothing.
What can I try to do for him?

My daughter also didn't gain any weight from the time she was 15 months until 18 months and was barely eating...I was going nuts. Something that works for me (and I feel a little bad doing it sometimes but it works and it has helped her gain weight) is to put on a video while she eats. She generally doesn't have patience for food and would rather play then eat, but when there is a video on, she is already entertained and busy so if I put the plate of food there while she watches a video, she will eat instead of throwing the food on the floor. My daughter also likes pasta so I've snuck pieces of chicken in the pasta sauce, she doesn't notice or taste it but its there and it helps gain weight. What about pediasure?

merelyme

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 2:18 am
You checked that it's not a medical disorder, right?

You could try fried foods, sour cream ... anything high in fat and calories.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 4:20 am
merelyme wrote:
You checked that it's not a medical disorder, right?

You could try fried foods, sour cream ... anything high in fat and calories.

I agree ruling out medical disorders, though I would think her doctor would be on top of this if he is concerned with weight.

I don't agree with loading a kid up with fried, heavy foods though just to give extra calories.

Some kids, especially when they become active (I assume your 18 month old is up and running very well now?) just gain very little to no weight. My almost 5 year old is about 32 pounds, tall and ridiculously skinny, and he's been that weight for a good 2 years without gaining anything. He eats well. Often asks for seconds. And we give him protein shakes on top of his regular meals and snacks. This is just who he is. Doctor says we shouldn't worry. There will always be some kids who are just those bottom of the chart skinny kids. It does not mean anything is wrong. But if you are still worried it's not a bad idea to consult a nutritionist. Sometimes insurance will pay for it if your doctor will recommend it.

Frum

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 4:43 am
As mommy of a toddler with little apetite (and big pickiness :-) I tend to get crazy myself. Try giving avocado for extra calories, my little one loves it. Also, she only eats well if I read her a story during the meal. She doesn't focus as much on her plate then and before you know it she eats like there's no tomorrow. Just pick one of his favorite books and you're good to go.

Good luck!

PS. The charts don't really mean much. As long as your son is active, healthy and doesn't wake up crying from hunger, there is no need to worry!

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 4:58 am
when my dd was that age we had the same thing dr told us to give ice cream although I dont think it wouldve helped she ate a lot of sour cream , veg, chicken... she had her nutrients but was active. (in the end she chunked up at age 18-20 months but hasnt gained much since shes now over 2 and has gained only a lb or 2 so she got skinny again but ik she eats well is active im not worried.

this is normal to happen in little kids especially picky eaters because they are active they give off their energy instead of keeping it in Howeer it all is stil related with the nature of your kid.
I would let my dr do bloodwork to rule out any medical problem if that is a concern otherwise as long as kid is eating/active I wouldnt be concerned.

Good Luck!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 5:38 am
OP here
Thanks for all the replies. I have a pit in my stomach from nerves. I asked the dr. to do the bloodwork now and not wait a month to try to rule out anything medical but she said no, wait the month and try to work on his eating and his taking the protein shakes and see then. I would have rathered know now if anything is up CH"V - to me earlier is better but I had to listen to the dr.
So now I am left trying out your suggestions. Thanks for all of them.
I hate to say this but I think he needs distraction at meals. Ever since he was little we always had to put a toy on his tray to feed him. So I think maybe trying a video would work....I will see today what I can do.

ElTam

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:12 am
If there is anything you give him that you currently bake that can be fried, fry it. That will really help.

There is also a nutritional supplement called duocal that you can add to milk, yogurt, etc. (You can buy it on amazon.com.) Ask a rav first, as it is not hechshered. Our little one is very underweight and our rav gave the okay because it is like medicine for him.

The other suggestions were really good.

And I'm sorry you are going through this. My baby just dropped back off the charts after finally getting back on them for a little bit. It is nerve-wracking.

IloveHashem613

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
OP here
Thanks for all the replies. I have a pit in my stomach from nerves. I asked the dr. to do the bloodwork now and not wait a month to try to rule out anything medical but she said no, wait the month and try to work on his eating and his taking the protein shakes and see then. I would have rathered know now if anything is up CH"V - to me earlier is better but I had to listen to the dr.
So now I am left trying out your suggestions. Thanks for all of them.
I hate to say this but I think he needs distraction at meals. Ever since he was little we always had to put a toy on his tray to feed him. So I think maybe trying a video would work....I will see today what I can do.

You don't have to "hate to say" that your child needs a distraction at meals...that is VERY normal!! Toddlers are super curious about the world and they want to play and explore, sitting at a table with food just doesn't interest them, that is soo normal! My daughter is the exact same way, food just doesn't hold appeal for her and that's why she just wasn't eating enough, cuz she didn't care. It wasnt that she didn't like the food, she just didn't care about it enough to sit and eat a meal. Now I think she is going through a growth spurt so she's eating better, that happens too so don't stress so much, they go through their phases (I know exactly how you feel about the pit in your stomach, I had that too). I have a friend who sings to her daughter and acts all silly and makes her daughter laugh and as she's laughing, she sticks a piece of food in her mouth and her daughter is having so much fun that she doesn't realize that she's eating lol... Other mothers have told me they take their kids outside in the sprinkler/pool and while their kid plays and splashes around, they sneak some bites in and the kid is too busy to notice. You just gotta find what works for your kid, you will figure it out...good luck!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:46 am
I don't understand why the doctor wants to wait a month. did you ask her why? blood tests are difficult with toddlers, but if there's concern, a month shouldn't make a difference.

I'm also bothered that she's making a big deal out of this. I wouldn't worry unless he LOSES weight.

did this kid nurse as an infant? my daughter nursed, but the doc went by the formula charts. different percentiles. I told him no when he suggested supplementing, and that was that. you should absolutely be able to request a blood panel now, she shouldn't refuse.

as long as the child is eating a normal amount and doesn't seem hungry AND doesn't lose weight, I would assume he's fine. but you can do the blood panel to be certain. find out what she wants to test for.

also, many toddlers eat less in the summer. as long as they drink enough, it's fine. (on the say-so of my pediatrician, who I feel is a very good doctor, regardless of our disagreement over supplementing Smile )

grin

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:51 am
I disagree - I think that distracting him at meals could be setting him up for obesity or other food issues when he gets older.

WEIGHT MEANS NOTHING!! as long as he's generally healthy, sleeps through the night, and is basically a happy kid. he can eat nuts, avocado, and such freely - but only nutritious calories!!!

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 10:07 am
grin wrote:
I disagree - I think that distracting him at meals could be setting him up for obesity or other food issues when he gets older.

WEIGHT MEANS NOTHING!! as long as he's generally healthy, sleeps through the night, and is basically a happy kid. he can eat nuts, avocado, and such freely - but only nutritious calories!!!

Agree!

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 10:11 am
Peanut butter, whole milk, eggs, small fatty trimmings from cooked beef and chicken. Exactly what you don't think you should eat ourself. He needs animal fats! Offer only one little piece of food at a time. Don't focus too much on his decision-making about it. If he doesn't want it, take it away immediately and put one other thing in front of him. In a neutral way.

Food may be holy, but eating is not a moral performance.

A liking for frozen French cut green beans is a valuable thing, they are the only vegetable one needs. The color is crayon green, the form is simple like a crayon, and they are alwaysexactly the same as last time.

grin

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 10:42 am
Peanut butter, whole milk, eggs, small fatty trimmings from cooked beef and chicken. Exactly what you don't think you should eat ourself. He needs animal healthy fats! Offer only a wide variety of healthy, nutritious foods. don't feed him garbage - not junk food nor fat trimmings form your beef.

I raised kah 10 healthy children based on the theories and teachings of T. Berry Brazelton, M.D. (author of Feeding: The Brazelton Way and Touchstones)

read these (if you can't read it from the source):
http://blogginaboutbabies.word.....lers/
Read more on FamilyEducation: http://life.familyeducation.co.....JGH8f
http://life.familyeducation.co......html
http://www.childrenshospital.o......html

Last edited by grin on Thu, Jul 21 2011, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

mommalah

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 10:49 am
If he is not eating chicken or meat he could very well be anemic ( unless he is eating copious amounts of vegetables that have iron). If he is anemic it will further reduce his appetite which will further lower the hemoglobin, which will in turn reduce his appetite. Vicious cycle. I would check his hemoglobin immediately. It's a simple finger stick and instant results.
And I would cut out any food that will not benefit him nutritionally, like the ice cream.
Good luck.

imamama

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 10:50 pm
Make sure it's not some kind of digestive disorder. My friend's kid was also not gaining, falling off the charts. They went to a million different doctors. He was finally diagnosed with celiac disease. I'm not saying that your child has the same problem, I'm just saying there are some disorders that are not always obvious or easy to diagnose, and before you start pumping him full of protein shakes make sure that is actually the treatment he needs.

In general, though, if he is gaining (it doesn't have to be as much as the chart says he's supposed to gain) and developing normally, you don't have to worry too much about his weight. I have a super skinny 4.5 year old, who started in the 75 percentile and just dropped and dropped and dropped, and finally leveled out at about the 10th percentile and there he has stayed. And B'H he's normal and smart and healthy. Just very thin and a super picky eater.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 11:39 pm
Speaking from personal experience with a very similar situation, I will give a bit of additional advice:

Make sure you act "cooperative" toward your doctor while the weight issue is going on. Even if you don't always take the doctor's advice, make sure the overall impression is that you are involved, listening, cooperating, and on the case. Between appointments, stay in touch with the doctor by phone to update about any progress and ask questions, etc. Otherwise you could ch"v end up with a visit from social services.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics