Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Hamodia's new serial Changing Faces
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 1:12 pm
[quote="Bundy"]
bashinda wrote:
Being from a family who had issues with lying and exaggeration, I think it depends on how big the lie is. I try to be very careful not to exaggerate though. What's the difference between exaggeration and lying? Is there really a difference al pi halacha.

Bundy, the way you're writing the serial it's hard to see where the truth really lies. If this is intentional, it's very thought provoking. Because at the beginning, I was Rolling Eyes at Reuven's mother because she's so melodramatic.

At any rate, it's a very interesting, if somewhat perplexing serial at this point. B'hatzlacha.

Hi Bashinda,
Actually, when I researched compulsive lying for this story, ]

Compulsive lying?? Did you just give something away? Wink
First thing DH goes to, and he's not a fiction reader. I'm still reading it...I like good writing. I think as a writer, you're having more fun than this reader though. That's ok, different strokes.

Bundy

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 6:05 pm
[quote="PinkFridge"]
Bundy wrote:
bashinda wrote:
Being from a family who had issues with lying and exaggeration, I think it depends on how big the lie is. I try to be very careful not to exaggerate though. What's the difference between exaggeration and lying? Is there really a difference al pi halacha.

Bundy, the way you're writing the serial it's hard to see where the truth really lies. If this is intentional, it's very thought provoking. Because at the beginning, I was Rolling Eyes at Reuven's mother because she's so melodramatic.

At any rate, it's a very interesting, if somewhat perplexing serial at this point. B'hatzlacha.

Hi Bashinda,
Actually, when I researched compulsive lying for this story, ]

Compulsive lying?? Did you just give something away? Wink
First thing DH goes to, and he's not a fiction reader. I'm still reading it...I like good writing. I think as a writer, you're having more fun than this reader though. That's ok, different strokes.

Aha, Pinkfridge, I didn't say who is/are the compulsive lair/ liars, though, did I? Chuckle... LOL
However, maybe I should scuttle off this site in case I DO give something away Wink
Thanks for the compliment about good writing...hope you'll be able to open your fingers a bit wider soon...YOW!!!
And yup, I'm having LOTs of fun!! LOL

ILOVELIFE

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 11:31 pm
Just had to say that this week's installment made me so sad. It made me sad to see Esther get so close to opening up and then disappear....back into her protective shell. I was so like that embarrassed

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 8:15 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
Just had to say that this week's installment made me so sad. It made me sad to see Esther get so close to opening up and then disappear....back into her protective shell. :

Yeah, me too. Get your banjos out: dueling train wrecks, a family about to implode?

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 11:58 am
just wanted to say that my heart goes out to Reuven and I think I'm ready to do something really bad to Alisa's father. And I'm absolutely drawn to this serial more than any other! Will we get to see what led her to begin lying? I think that's important.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 12:30 pm
I was a little upset that the serials werent in the hamodia magazine this week. I buy hamodia pretty much solely for the serials. gotta wait another week... sigh.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 1:13 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
just wanted to say that my heart goes out to Reuven and I think I'm ready to do something really bad to Alisa's father. And I'm absolutely drawn to this serial more than any other! Will we get to see what led her to begin lying? I think that's important.

I sort of assumed that she was lying because her whole life she was under this immense pressure to be perfect because of her abusive father. Then when she got married she was so scared of not being perfect enough that she started lying to create her "perfect" image.

soulful music

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 1:18 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I was a little upset that the serials werent in the hamodia magazine this week. I buy hamodia pretty much solely for the serials. gotta wait another week... sigh.

I was extremely annoyed too! I would not have bought the newspaper, had I known they left it out.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 1:32 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I don't buy it for the serials, there are a lot of things I enjoy about it. But I was still irritated by this, I think it's way over the top to skip ALL the regular features for this. Yes, 9/11 was a big deal. A VERY VERY VERY big deal. And no it shouldn't be forgotten ten years later. But to skip your ENTIRE magazine? And, what's more, did they do this for tisha b'av? Get your priorities straight. I thought the 9/11 magazine was in ADDITION to the regular one. I think it would have made an amazing SUPPLEMENT. But it is not a replacement for editorial, halacha column, parsha column, chinuch column, serial story, humor column, feature stories, etc.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 1:37 pm
seeker wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

I don't buy it for the serials, there are a lot of things I enjoy about it. But I was still irritated by this, I think it's way over the top to skip ALL the regular features for this. Yes, 9/11 was a big deal. A VERY VERY VERY big deal. And no it shouldn't be forgotten ten years later. But to skip your ENTIRE magazine? And, what's more, did they do this for tisha b'av? Get your priorities straight. I thought the 9/11 magazine was in ADDITION to the regular one. I think it would have made an amazing SUPPLEMENT. But it is not a replacement for editorial, halacha column, parsha column, chinuch column, serial story, humor column, feature stories, etc.

I agree completely. I subscribe to Hamodia so I got it regardless, but in fact I subscribe to it ONLY because of the magazine (I prefer the Yated for the other features). I think the 9/11 insert was excellent, but it should have been in addition to the regular magazine not in place of it. I feel like a week of my subscription was wasted.

May write a letter to the editor about that (anyone have the email address handy -- I like to send 2 both to the regular paper and to the Inyan (magazine) email)?

May

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 9:13 pm
Can someone give me a brief synopsis of what has happened so far? I only started getting the Hamodia recently - the past few weeks, so I had to start the serial from the middle.

September June

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 11:51 pm
Alisa grew up in a dysfunctional family and learned to lie to escape her father's anger. She is a compulsive lier and lies to get out of any and every uncomfortable situation. Her husband still believes her stories and hasn't caught on about her lies.
Now, her father is threatening to stop supporting her (her husband's in kollel) if she doesn't let her sister move in with her.

May

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 6:57 pm
Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room