Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Learning centers

rivkag

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 10:11 am
I'm a teacher for 4-5 years old and would like to do learning centers this year .
Anyone here that is doing it already and want to give me some tips and advice or good websites. I would really appreciate it.

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 10:45 am
Creative curriculum is a great book to guide you. It goes through all the centers in great detail.

runninglate

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 8:07 pm
im familiar with classrooms with centers. What exactly do you want to know?

rivkag

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 3:37 pm
How to run it smoothly, kids doing it independently with minimal help
Ideas of learning centers for different themes/parsha

runninglate

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:28 pm
a good way to run it smoothly is to limit the amount of children in a center at once by requiring students to have a necklace in order to enter a center. This way u decide how many students can be there at a time. Ive seen some teachers use keychains instead bec of choking hazard concerns. Pls pm me. I can tell you a lot more, im just not sure what you know and dont know.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:43 pm
I've never seen necklaces done. from what I've seen, center time starts with everyone waiting for their turn to pick a center. have a chart made with velcro pieces. interchangeable center pieces on velcro should be used as well as name cards. each kid puts their name under the center of their choosing. the number of velcro strips under each center indicates the number of kids allowed there. I think four kids per center is appropriate, though I don't know how many are going to be in your class. there should be a minimum time per center. kids are allowed to switch into a center with an open slot, with your permission, after x number of minutes. the kids don't have to do every center every day.

centers I have seen:

blocks (any type of construction toy), generally combined with toy cars
dress up/kitchen
sand table
paint (easel or bingo dots on a table)
peg boards
lacing boards
arts n crafts with morah in attendance
writing
play doh
magnet boards with alphabet magnets
magna doodles/tracing activities
listening centers (set up with headphones)-- this is often combined with a book center. comfy kid sized seats, and a selection of audiotapes for kids who can follow along appropriately
computer-- I've only seen this in schools with state grants for computers in every classroom.

I don't really see how you can do a parsha center unless you have a parsha-themed arts and crafts. however, if you do this, be aware that many parents hate those projects when they are too well done. you need to find something the kids can do on their own. for example, if you must have a parsha picture for each kid, photocopy a black and white illustration, but let the kids color it and then cut out the figures to glue on another paper. it doesn't matter if the head gets cut off completely, at least they're working on scissor skills. parsha projects often show off the assistant teacher's cutting skills rather than the child's. my suggestion for parsha projects is actually to do circle time before centers, and have the kids make up their own interpretation of what you taught with whatever materials you offer them. you can write their explanation on the back so the parents can discuss it with the kids.

a lot of this obviously depends on your classroom setup. have fun!

runninglate

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:54 pm
ive heard of this way of doing it, but the prob, especially with boys, is that some children who want to go into a center with no room available will just pull off someone elses card and replace it with theirs. If the teacher wasnt watching, she then has no way of knowing who really is entitled to be there.

mom22qts

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 11:40 pm
Centers can be a great time to target specific skills that some children may need help with. I will usually take the theme of the week and break it down into skills in the different areas that I want to cover- ie math, science, art, writing, literature, etc

With 4-5 year olds ABCs/Aleph Bet always need more work.
Counting and/or identifying numbers
Basic math concepts- more/less, bigger/small, basic addition,

I've only worked in really small classes so I'm not sure I can help, but maybe post a bit more of what specific topic you do want to teach so that others can help you break that down into centers.

rivkag

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 1:20 pm
thank you all for your replies!
I am working now on the beginning of the school year, so besides getting to know the class also Ellul and the Yomim Tovim.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 4:22 pm
runninglate wrote:
ive heard of this way of doing it, but the prob, especially with boys, is that some children who want to go into a center with no room available will just pull off someone elses card and replace it with theirs. If the teacher wasnt watching, she then has no way of knowing who really is entitled to be there.

the sign does not have to stay within reach. once everyone's chosen, move the sign to a higher spot where it can still be seen. take it down after fifteen minutes or when a kid requests a change.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics