Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hashem's wonders - Potatoes heal burns

ccolfrum

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 10:36 am
I learned a new trick of Hashems wonders, did u ever know the Best way to heal a moderate burn is by putting on the burn peeled potatoes ?
Did anyone ever have success with this ?
Please fill me in with more details.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 10:47 am
They do this in the yeshivas these days?

ccolfrum

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 10:55 am
I have no clue,
My niece burnt herself yesterday, and my SIL called me at night asking me if I ever heard of putting potatoes on the burn, her neighbor told her about it that there's a woman in Monsey who specializes in this etc. But she didn't know much details, interested if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks

grin

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 11:51 am
I can't even imagine how one would go about doing this - lavender oil works wonders, though.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 12:00 pm
ccolfrum wrote:
I have no clue,
My niece burnt herself yesterday, and my SIL called me at night asking me if I ever heard of putting potatoes on the burn, her neighbor told her about it that there's a woman in Monsey who specializes in this etc. But she didn't know much details, interested if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks

This is total bunk.

My brother is an EMT and responded to a call for....the New Square Arsonist (remember him?). The "potato lady" had been hiding him and had his hands soaking in vats of shredded potatoes - one batch had ALREADY COOKED by the time my brother got there. The lady was all proud of herself but as my brother and the doctors told us, it's one of the WORST things you can do for burns - insulating the heat with potatoes (or oil, or mayo, or whatever else you think will help).

The arsonist had severe, severe burns on his hands and the potatoes were not helping (surprise, surprise) so they finally called the EMTs. Oh, and then he was arrested. Thank goodness.

6coop

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 2:02 pm
Our pediatrician told us to try rubbing a raw (cut) onion on a minor burn. It's supposed to help with the pain and prevent blistering. I have no idea why.

myself

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 2:10 pm
A neighbour of mine who is trained in first aid told me about this. She said to put raw peeled potato on the burn and wrap it with cling film. I've tried it once, although my immediate reaction would be to soak under running water.

earthmama

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 2:21 pm
Never tried potato.Second the vote for lavender oil, its great also for cuts.I keep a bottle in the kitchen.Also miso if you have it.

myself

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 2:23 pm
What do you do with the lavendar oil. Just apply it to the burn?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 2:24 pm
Basic first aid is to keep a mild burn under cool running water for an extended period. If you want to try potatoes or oil or milk the next day, gezunteheit. But don't skip the first step please!

IloveHashem613

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 2:27 pm
I once got a bad burn on my hand (not bad enough to go to hospital, but bad enough that it was very painful) and I tried all sorts of home remedies that I found online to make the pain go away, potatoe included and it didn't help at all...that was my experience

earthmama

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 2:32 pm
Lavender oil-just drip it right on.This is for mild to moderate burns AFAIK.OBVIOUSLY call medical help if it's needed.Just for the record this means essential oil which is strong plant essence and not really oil.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 3:37 pm
I have just finished treating my son for a third degree burn on his palm with the potato method.

The first thing that you're supposed to do is keep the area under cold running water. After a couple of minutes - at least 5-10 min. apply fresh grated potatoes - about 1/2" thick to the area and cover it with saran wrap. Put an ice pack on top and wrap it all in something that's absorbing. Keep it for 1 -1 1/2 hours. AFterwards rinse with water and I had healing cream and powder applied. This was changed every 48 hours until the new skin appeared. Now I'm applying an aftercare cream which will hopefully remove any scars that might appear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics