Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Master Torah, R. Meir Pogrow
1  2  Next

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 11:10 am
Rabbi Pogrow from EY has a program that he calls Master Torah, the goal is for the average child, to master the entire Torah - Chumash and Tanach, Mishna, and the average teen, adult go through Shas, and master it, retaining all the knowledge that one has learnt. He has a website where there are shiurim in Tanach, Mishna, Gemara, Rambam, in which he demonstrates an entirely new derech in learning that will accomplish this.

Has anyone researched this, or implemented it in their classroom? It sounds fascinating to me. It's a goal that I have had for myself at various times, although not pursued unfortunately, and that I still have for my children. I would love for my children to reach this kind of be'kius and focus in their learning.

I wonder if any posters here on imamother have looked into it, or worked with it?

Last edited by TzenaRena on Sun, Jul 31 2011, 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Chavelamomela

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 12:20 pm
Don't know about the program, but I know the Rabbi. he was a teacher of mine in Michlala over a decade ago...
He's brilliant.

I don't agree with him hashkafically, but that's another conversation Very Happy

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 4:27 pm
what are his hashkofos?

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 10:01 pm
Please fix title - There was a type - his name is Rabbi Meir Pogrow.

LisaS

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 3:44 am
Chavi was nice enough to say that she disagrees with his hashkafa.
[reference to deleted post deleted. -mod]
Rabbi Pogrow is a well respected mecahnech who is teaching Torah, not apikorsut, though you are welcome to disagree with him.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 9:57 am
Regardless, I only wish to discuss the method. Exactly what is it? One of the teachers in my son's Yeshiva tried it and said it works. His students learned and retained a great amount of b'kius in Gemorah. Other teachers may be using it this coming year. I will be thrilled if my son uses more of his "kop" this year, and wastes less time. I want to know more about it.

kalsee

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 2:08 pm
I believe the method is similar to the zilberman method- which includes lots and lots of chazara.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 12:01 am
kalsee wrote:
I believe the method is similar to the zilberman method- which includes lots and lots of chazara.
what's the Zilberman method? And how is the chazara done?

kalsee

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 2:28 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
kalsee wrote:
what's the Zilberman method? And how is the chazara done?

I don't really know much about it. The Zilbermans are an old Yerushalmi family, who have a cheder and a yeshiva. They go according to the mishna in pirkei avos about 5 lemikra 10 lemishna 15 letalmud. They are very into yedios and being baki in everything they learn.

I believe shalhevet's sons go to a zilberman-style cheder, maybe she can help you with this.

connie

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 11:16 am
his program might or might not work for you. its intense and requires alot of chazara which most people find difficult.

that said, he is very smart and knows the torah by heart but he is not someone you should go to for advice on personal matters. I say this from personal experience. just because he has some sort of photographic memory that allows him to memorize things does not make him an expert at giving life advice. we tend to think that talmidei chachamim by definition are good to go to for life advice. that might be true in some cases but not all and this is one of them.

to summarize, you want to learn torah from him, great. but stop there do not go to him for personal advice!

connie

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 11:27 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Rabbi Pogrow from EY has a program that he calls Master Torah, the goal is for the average child, to master the entire Torah - Chumash and Tanach, Mishna, and the average teen, adult go through Shas, and master it, retaining all the knowledge that one has learnt. He has a website where there are shiurim in Tanach, Mishna, Gemara, Rambam, in which he demonstrates an entirely new derech in learning that will accomplish this.

Has anyone researched this, or implemented it in their classroom? It sounds fascinating to me. It's a goal that I have had for myself at various times, although not pursued unfortunately, and that I still have for my children. I would love for my children to reach this kind of be'kius and focus in their learning.

I wonder if any posters here on imamother have looked into it, or worked with it?

why dont you just look at his website where he spells out the whole program. you basically learn something and keep reviewing it forever together whith everything you continue learning. if you can keep up eventually you have learned everything and reviewed it a million times. if this is something that you think your son can do, go for it!

if this seems extreme to you, that is exactly the point. he is very intense and it translates into extreme advice when people go to him for personal matters.

jewishmom1011

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 1:18 pm
Hi Connie,
Can you please email me at jewishmom1011@yahoo.com? I went to him for personal advice and it wasnt the best decision, so I agree with you. just wondering if were in the same boat with the same experience.

pecan

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 3:47 pm
This is the first year that my kids teacher's used his method. It's been great. My kids learned so much, and they really know the stuff, plus they have a chayus to learn which hasn't been before this year.

jewishmom1011

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 10:30 pm
My husband uses his method to learn and it works well for him. I went to him for advice, and wasnt too fond of him. anyone else have a similar experience?

jewishmom1011

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 9:30 am
why did the administrator delete the comments by "IMAMOTHER"?

Welcome to Imamother! Please read the forum guidelines. In this case, the amother comments added nothing appropriate to the thread. Feel free to pm a mod or Yael if you have questions.

kalsee

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 12:10 pm
FYI

http://daattorah.blogspot.com/......html

merpk

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 3:56 am
kalsee wrote:
FYI

http://daattorah.blogspot.com/......html

And now several years since, I'm wondering if the posts upthread by @jewishmom1011 that were deleted as "against forum rules" were relevant to this.

Which is in itself part of the problem.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:32 am
hmm no less then 3 people in one short thread had serious reservations about him.

crbc

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:07 am
Makes me sad and angry at the same , looks like many people knew about this for years

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:13 am
http://www.jpost.com/Israel-Ne.....57329

Please read this article posted today by the Jerusalem Post.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics