Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Attn chicago women: which curves do people use around here?

yytsmommy

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 12:08 am
so as the subject says, is there anyone here who uses curves or knows other people who do here? which branch? and do you know how much it costs?
thanks!
I really want to join, but I am new here and would like to join one where I will meet other frum women (maybe...or one where no one else frequents...)
and are they all the same tznius wise? meaning, not with huge windows on the street and allowing no men inside?
and do they all have babysitting on site?
thanks again!
Wink

melbee

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 12:26 pm
I don't go to Curves, but a few friends and I all go to a place called Womens' Workout World. It's on Peterson and Lawrence, about 10 mins away from WRP, but there are a few other locations as well. It costs around $20/month with all classes included in the monthly payment (and there are a ton of classes). They are also always running deals, so it may be less now. They have a nursery on site for kids 1 yo and up (and sometimes younger if they are not busy). And the staff are used to seeing boys with long hair, kippas, etc., so I guess a lot of other frum people go there, although I only ever see my friends (it's hard to know whose frum or not when everyone is in workout clothes!) No men are anywhere in the building, and the one time they had workers there, they posted a sign on the door letting women know in case it was an issue (by the time I got there after work, the men were all gone anyway). The workout room itself is impossible to see from outside.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to give you more information or a free guest pass. Let me know. We really enjoy it.

Strudel

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 1:35 pm
They have a women only gym at the JCC. Plus women only hours for the pool.

yytsmommy

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 10:46 pm
melbee, that sounds great. is it like a regular gym (although I have never been to one)? I like curves because I like the trainer there to help me with the machines. I have little motivation to exercise and I need a good environment to help me. I did curves as a teen and liked it. on everything so short that I didnt get bored.
I would love a free guest pass though if you could get me one...
thanks again ; )

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 11:49 pm
hey yytsmommy,
Melbee and I go to the same gym (shoutout Melbee!) There's a number of other imamommies there as well.

Like she mentioned you pay a certain price per month and that entails you to AS MANY classes/workouts as you want! They have a weekly schedule of classes (super fun ones including zumba, tighter a**ets, kick n core, turbo kick, piyo, etc) throughout the day. I believe the first class starts at 6:30 am and the last class is at 8 pm. They also have weight machines, treadmills, elipticals, free weights.

If you go to Turbo kick on Monday, run on the treadmills tuesday, Zumba on Wednesday, and you use the weight machines Friday morning...it'll still cost you the SAME $20 a month!

I find the classes are incredibly motivating! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba with Lucia on Wed nights! Also turbo with Susan (or Lauren, or Natalie, or Lucia) is a blast!

I've never been the only frum woman in the gym. There's ALWAYS 2-3 others at a bare minimum. The gym windows are opaque white so sunlight filters in, but nobody can see anything from outside. Also, the age range and body fitness in the gym covers the entire spectrum. I love the fact that nobody cares what someone else looks like/is wearing.

Cons about the gym:
1) Parking stinks. They have a parking lot, but it can only fit about 30 cars. (The good news is that there is free street parking on the nearby sidestreets).
2) They close early on Sundays (4:30 in the afternoon).
3) Lockers cost a quarter each time (so either shell out the money like I do, or leave your purse/backpack/briefcase at home).
4) there is no pool.
5) the machines are older, BUT (Melbee, Lauren and Tina confirmed this) the gym is getting a makeover in the fall.

Here's the website. http://www.w3body.com/laurencewestern.php Don't sign up online for the free weekly pass. Just show up at the gym and tell whomever's behind the front desk that you want to try before you buy. They'll give you a tour, make you sign some paperwork, and then you can go workout!

melbee

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:57 pm
Hi, cbsmommy! I finally figured out who you are after all those hints Very Happy

To add to what she said, the nursery is also closed on Sunday (I just remembered that con).

Since you mentioned personal trainers, they do have those at the gym as well for an extra cost (not sure what it is as I don't have one, but the initial training session is free and it's worth looking into if you're interested). You can look on the link cbsmommy gave with a list of classes and more info. They also have all the equipment a regular gym has, so if that's your interest it's there.

I have the free passes on my desk at home, let me know how to get one to you and I'll send it over, or as cbsmommy said, you can just show up and they will let you go free (call ahead if you're planning to use the nursery that day, so they expect your child). If you want, we can all go together. Join our gym club (it's a great motivator to keep it up if you know other people are there waiting for you Smile )

Annie

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 2:51 pm
Can I tell you how you just made my day (well actually yesterday). I've been trying to figure out how to get to a gym to get started. I didn't even know this place existed.

A couple of questions --

are there really a *lot* of frum women? if so, what age range? one of the reasons I don't go to the JCC is because I don't really want to see the rest of the world (read - parents of students I teach) while I'm working out. and is the babysitting extra, or is it included? Also, what's the general neighborhood and crowd like?

Thanks again for opening up the possibliity that I might have a place to exercise.

I'm wondering if I know you ladies....

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 6:25 pm
Hey Annie,
Glad to make your day! Lucia makes my week every Wed night for zumba (6:30-7:30, except this week and next she's out of town Sad )

Anyway, age range for the gym is 18 and up. I've seen one or two senior high school girls there (altho they could honestly also be post high school/sem girls, it's so hard to tell with some kids), but the majority of frum women are between the ages of 22 and late 50's.

It's not like the JCC. There are no parents who will come up and bug you about why your child got a C instead the A+ they 'deserved' (and yes, ask Melbee, I'm a cynic!) The gym caters to women who WANT a women's only gym. This means that there is a healthy mix of Latino women, Muslim women, and very religious Chrisitian girls. As a result, some women excercise in shorts and tank tops, some women wear leggins, t-shirts, and a bandana (yep, that's me), some women are wearing pants, long sleeves and a tichel, and some women are wearing a burka. Nobody ever gets a 'point-and-laugh'. For the most part everyone I've ever met there is respectful of other women's dress/mannerisms.

Another con (some people don't consider it a con) they play a LOT of nonjewish music. If you hate that, wear headphones and don't come during zumba or turbo kick. During pilates/yoga/some stretch classes soft music without words are played. Workout THEN if the nonjewish music bothers you.

Babysitting - you can either fork over $15 and receive 15 1.5 hour passes or pay $30 a month for unlimited. I'm pretty sure that if you have 2 children it's still $30 a month rather than $60. My kid likes going and playing with Melbee's kid, and with some of the other gym rats 'regulars' that are there. CALL FIRST before dropping a kid at the nursery.

General neighborhood. Well, it's Lawrence and Western. It's not the ritziest, but neither are there nightly shootings. The population tends to be middle class Latino. Lawrence itself is slightly sketchy after dark, but the side streets are all well
well. I usually decide if a neighborhood is 'safe' by how many women I see walking a dog/pushing a stroller outside without male/police protection. I typically see a TON of bikers, lots of women taking the bus, waiting for the train (the gym is 2 min from Lincoln Square)

Annie

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:49 pm
Well, I'm hoping to check it out next week-ish. I will probably be coming during the day if I have a break in my schedule. Frankly, I don't know how I'm going to work it out, I'm still trying to figure out carpool for playgroup next year :-). I'm going to go look around and then we'll see. (I'll be the giant 40 year old who can't do much with a pre-tied/t-shirt/leggins/skirt (probably)

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:15 pm
Fyi Annie, between 12-4 the nursery is closed. This has never bothered me b/c I work afternoons, but just be aware. (It's open mornings, late afternoons, and evenings).

That being said b/c of my job I have NO CLUE who's there during the middle of the day. I do know that there are no classes, and it's the CLASSES that you should really see b/c they change the whole gym atmosphere.

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 6:58 pm
Did anyone end up trying the gym?

Also, spoke with Jen today, children ages 6 months and up are now eligible to use the nursery! SmileSmileSmile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics