Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
4-1/2 year old has crossbite - what to do

VeryBusyMom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:40 pm
My 4-1/2 dd has a crossbite, apparently caused by her sucking on her blanket every night. I just realized that her teeth don't line up - the bottom on one side sticks out further than the top, and it seems that this is an expected result of sucking on something like a pacifier, just in her case it was a blanket. It seems to go along with some other things I've always noticed but that I never realized were connected to the blanket - like tongue thrust. Well, I immediately got rid of the blanket, but my question is - what now?

Will it correct itself on it's own? Should I take her to the dentist soon? Or wait to bring it up at the next checkup? I have an appointment at the dentist with her in October - should I go earlier?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any dentists or speech therapists here that know anything about it? Or has anyone asked their dentist?

TIA!!

mamommommy

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:49 pm
I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes these things correct themselves when your child stps sucking on the pacifier/thumb/blanket etc. If not, she may need orthodontics, but that wouldn't begin at this age. They would wait until she gets in at least some of her adult teeth.

I'm sure her dentist will keep an eye on it and let you know when/if it becomes an issue. I certainly don't think you need to bring her in sooner.

My ds had a cross-bite since he was little and he received a palate expander when he was 9. It wasn't a big deal.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 12:00 am
I have a cross-bite. it runs in the family. I was told I could get braces if I wanted, but it was for purely cosmetic reasons. it's really not noticeable.

don't go crazy over it. you can ask a dentist, but I'm sure it's not urgent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics