Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dh lost job, can't pay tuiton

amother

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 2:27 am
please no bashing. I need advice, dh just lost his job, a pt one, dh is in school. there is another job that we still have b'h. but this job covered tuition and extra things like diapers and clothes etc... I signed a tution contract for dc#2's school. there is no other school for dc#2 I have the money for one child and not another one. I registered dc#1 in a school, problems at old school, now dc is able to get the help that they need. but no scholarships. set price only. I do not have the money for any tuition at this point. we are both looking for work. I need to give checks in by the end of august. should I just say sorry but I can't send my kid b/c dh lost job. I have to find another school and hope that they will work with us. I don't know what to do. take out more student loans? hopefully finish in this year? I would if I knew that this was the last year of the degree

chavs

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 9:38 am
I dont have any advice but I just wanted to let you know that I am sorry for this, it sounds really hard(underestimation). I hope something works out for you quickly! ((((hugs))))

ElTam

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 11:58 am
I wasn't clear from your post: have you talked to the financial aid committee at the school. At our school, contracts can be altered in the event of a lost job. Hatzlacha.

momaleh

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 12:08 pm
It's hard to believe they won't work with you on this. Many institutions say one thing, but if you talk it out with them they are often willing to work with your needs. Will you be able to pay something at some point? If nothing at all, you'll probably have to look for something else. If all it is is a matter of time and soon enough you will be able to contribute something toward tuition, discuss it with them and see what kind of break you can get and how long you might be able to push it off.

Barbara

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 12:15 pm
amother wrote:
please no bashing. I need advice, dh just lost his job, a pt one, dh is in school. there is another job that we still have b'h. but this job covered tuition and extra things like diapers and clothes etc... I signed a tution contract for dc#2's school. there is no other school for dc#2 I have the money for one child and not another one. I registered dc#1 in a school, problems at old school, now dc is able to get the help that they need. but no scholarships. set price only. I do not have the money for any tuition at this point. we are both looking for work. I need to give checks in by the end of august. should I just say sorry but I can't send my kid b/c dh lost job. I have to find another school and hope that they will work with us. I don't know what to do. take out more student loans? hopefully finish in this year? I would if I knew that this was the last year of the degree

Sending hopes that your husband finds another job soon.

As to what to do, you need to figure out what you can pay, and what you can't, given current income. Then figure out if there's anything you can cut.

It wasn't clear if you can't afford any tuition at all, or if you can afford for one child, not both. It *would* be easier if both were in the same school, as they wouldn't want to lose one full tuition, even if its covering two kids. But it is what it is. You call both schools, and tell them what happened. Tell them what you can pay, and when and how you can pay it. If you think that you can make it up later, say that. *DH lost his job, and we can only pay 50% tuition now. We're hoping that he will find work soon and, if so, we'll be able to pay you back the rest of the money over the next two years* If not, be honest about that.

Call your shul. Tell them the situation, and ask what, if any, resources are available to help families in your position.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 12:21 pm
You can check out the homeschooling threads on this site.

Here is a list of threads under the homeschooling forum:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....f=213

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jan 04 2016, 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 12:24 pm
If they won't budge, is it insane to mention home schooling (ducks)?

There is frum, Torah homeschooling, going on for some years now. Google it. I think there is a Forum about it right on this website. Not as a total switch, perhaps just as a filler until your situation changes.

Some people love homeschooling. Naturally you have to put in some of the effort you were paying the institutions for, but - you economize on transportation, wasted time, mean kids, cliques, boredom.

You could probably obtain teaching materials and syllabi, all thought out for you already. Supplemented with tutoring visits, perhaps. Certainly not free, but cheaper than yeshiva. Beats public school, maybe. Just a thought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics