Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2 and half year old sleeps too much

amother

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 9:05 pm
My daughter has been sleeping way too much lately. She hasn't taken naps since pesach, but lately has been sleeping 14 hours a night with a 2 hour nap during the day. She's been doing this for about a week. She's not dehydrated cuz she drinks throughout the day. I took her to the doctor today, and he wasn't concerned. Did a throat culture just in case it's strep, but it was negative. I really concerned, though. The doc said if in a week she's still sleeping so much he'd do bloodwork, but I don't think this is normal, and I'm really worried. While she's awake she's fine, eating OK and behaving fine. She just gets really tired at some points and needs a nap. Or to go to sleep for night (at 6pm) and wakes up after 8 the next morning with a 2 to 3 hour nap at around 12.

ElTam

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 9:16 pm
If the doctor says it is okay, I am unsure why you think it is too much. My children always slept about 12 hours and also took a nap at that age.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 9:19 pm
If everything else is ok, I would do the bloodwork in a week to be safe. Otherwise, kids do go through different phases, and growth spurts. Hope all turns out well!

canada

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 9:51 pm
Probably a growth spurt.
Some kids need more sleep and others need more food (some want both), when having a growth spurt.

Hope all is well.

good wifey

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 11:07 pm
Either your toddler is more active during the hours that he is up so he tires out faster. Or your toddler is not doing enough activity and that pulls him down.
Sounds very normal to me,I experienced both. I don't see it as a problem.

maofboys

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 8:24 am
canada wrote:
Probably a growth spurt.
Some kids need more sleep and others need more food (some want both), when having a growth spurt.

Hope all is well.

I agree my 2 1/2 year old sleeps 12 hours at night and takes a 2 hour (sometimes longer) nap during the day and I think its normal. my kids napped for a long time. my 4 yearold can barly stay up after camp and at least once a week he crashes by 4:00. my rule is never wake a sleeping child no matter what age (even teens or preteens need sleep during growth spurts). when I was about 14 I would come home from school at 5 sleep till 8 then get up do my homework and go back to bed at 10 or 11 I couldn't function after a long day at school I grew 4or5 inch in one yaer.

anonymom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 11:50 pm
my daughter was like this and I worried a little. Now she's 19 and does not need more than 4 hour a night and she's fine.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 1:03 am
My daughter is three (in may) and she sleeps, usually for 12 hours a night or at least 10 hours and then she can easily sleep for two hours during the day.
I never even thought to think that something could be wrong.
Some children just need more sleep than others.
And at different times also. There was a point where my daughter was waking at 5 or earlier. And then that passed as well.

melbee

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 1:37 pm
My 2 1/2 year old does something very similar. He goes to sleep at 8, wakes up at 8 AM when I wake him for camp. On Shabbos he may sleep until 9 or even 10 sometimes (usually that late indicates he's not feeling well though). Has a nap around 1 and will sleep until 4 or 5. It's pretty crazy and I always worry he's sleeping too much, so I did some snooping. Turns out, anytime I think he's been in there too long, he's not asleep! He will sit and talk to himself, sing, or just lay there silently petting his stuffed duck, reading a book, or looking out the window. He also sits awake for awhile after being put down, sometimes an hour or two before he finally falls asleep.

So your toddler may not be sleeping just because she's quiet. Are you peeking in to confirm she's actually asleep all that time? I also agree, if she is sleeping, it may be a growth spurt. He sleeps even more during those times.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 12 2011, 1:59 am
melbee wrote:
My 2 1/2 year old does something very similar. He goes to sleep at 8, wakes up at 8 AM when I wake him for camp. On Shabbos he may sleep until 9 or even 10 sometimes (usually that late indicates he's not feeling well though). Has a nap around 1 and will sleep until 4 or 5. It's pretty crazy and I always worry he's sleeping too much, so I did some snooping. Turns out, anytime I think he's been in there too long, he's not asleep! He will sit and talk to himself, sing, or just lay there silently petting his stuffed duck, reading a book, or looking out the window. He also sits awake for awhile after being put down, sometimes an hour or two before he finally falls asleep.

So your toddler may not be sleeping just because she's quiet. Are you peeking in to confirm she's actually asleep all that time? I also agree, if she is sleeping, it may be a growth spurt. He sleeps even more during those times.
I am sure you were writing this to the OP, but I will just say, and I just posted above you, that my daughter sometimes has to be woken up after two hours so I am sure that she is sleeping and not just talking to herself. She comes straight out of her bed when she is ready.
Should I be worried if my 3 year old is sleeping that much? I wonder.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics