Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Has anyone tried this?

Mommy F.

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 1:42 pm
I heard that buying reusable sanitary pads like this:
http://www.newmoonpads.com/home.html
Can come out to 90% cheaper than the disposable kinds.

Apparently, they're a lot more comfortable, easy to use and clean, and very cost efficient.

Just wondering if anyone has tried them and what they thought about it.

I hear about washable diapers all the time, but it's the first time I have heard of washable pads.
Let me know if you have ever heard about them. And if it really saves money in the long run.

TIA

amother

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 1:50 pm
I bought a diva cup a few years ago when it was on sale for about $15. They recommend replacing it every year, but mine still works fine. I sterilize it once a month to keep it clean. This has saved me a on of money on tampon expenses. Even buying it at full price is a worthwhile investment.

Optione

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 1:51 pm
I don't really know much about these but I just want to point out one thing: the website that you posted seems a little bit extreme in their "savings calculator" where it estimates that you could save 90%. They say that you spend $8-9 a month on disposables. I don't spend that much- do you? Also, they say that theirs will only cost you about $100 but based on their prices, shipping, and the amount that you will need to order, I can't imagine that it will only be $100 one time. Their calculations are based on 10 years but even cloth pads need to be replaced every couple years... good luck!

cm

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 2:04 pm
Do your own math, and don't believe the hype about savings. I purchased a "starter set" from a different company at age 35, and figured I might break even by menopause!

I only used them routinely for a year, for a variety of reasons. But they are comfortable, at least as far as one could reasonably expect from a pad.

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 2:11 pm
Obviously, it depends how much you use them, but I have been using the same cloth pads for maybe five years. They still look new. I admit that I don't use them that frequently, due to lactational amenorrhea. I use them for 1-2 months straight postpartum after each baby, in addition to those few periods I have tended to have between babies.

If you really want to save money, I suggest making your own pads. There are a number of free patterns online. Google it. If you aren't the sewing type, shop around. There are many women making these in their homes. Some make "luxury" pads with hand-dyed organic fabrics and decorative stitching; others make basic pads using inexpensive materials.

I do think it saves money over time. It's hard to remember the exact numbers, but I don't think I've spent more than $100 on the pads I have and I wouldn't be surprised to have them last longer than ten years. The cost of laundering them is negligible. I soak them in a small container filled with cold water, rinse them out in the sink, and wash on hot with either towels or diapers. They are so little and slip in with laundry I'd be doing anyway, so they don't affect the number of loads I wash. After the initial investment, the only ongoing cost is for the small amount of water I use to soak and rinse them.

zigi

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 2:32 pm
peniless parenting has a tutorial on how to make your own http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

chavs

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 3:52 pm
I use reusable pads and they are so much more comfortable then regular pads are. With disposable I am more prone to yeast infections and get itchy whereas reusable are very comfy. They were quite cheap as well. I got in different colours as well because its more fun and for when I am spottingI can catch the drops but remain tehora (spoken to a Rov of course).
I hear that the mooncups and what not are quite good as well so it might be worth looking into as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics