Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Suddenly refusing bottles

amother

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 2:11 pm
DS is 4.5 months old and exclusively breastfed. I did begin pumping and giving him bottles here and there from the time he was about 6 weeks because I knew I would be returning to work when was 5 months and I wanted to get myself used to pumping and him used to bottles. I had read that 6 weeks was best- avoid nipple confusion, but not so attached to breast that bottles are refused. That seemed true in this case, he took bottles no problem, never experienced any nipple confusion, and all was well as long as someone other than myself was giving the the bottle (from me, he wants the real thing Very Happy ).

Anyway, I will be returning to work in a bit over 2 weeks, and he is suddenly refusing bottles. He screams, and flails and turns his head away, and in the end, I end up nursing him. One time, I even had to cut an errand short, b/c DH called and said he just wouldn't take it. Luckily, I wasn't far and I got home within 5 minutes. This isn't gonna work when I go back to work though. I asked the doctor about it, he gave a few possible explanations that seemed plausible, but when I asked what to do, I just got "You'll have to make it happen or else quit work". Um, yeah, if SAHM was an option, I would (and I'm INCREDIBLY lucky to have been able to take this much time off).

So- how can I make him take the bottle again?????

amother

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 3:52 pm
bump

amother

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 5:15 pm
No ideas? No one has ever had this issue?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 5:29 pm
I would try different varieties of bottles and see if he tolerates any. I know he was fine with this one til now, but you can't exactly reason with him Smile. Also, make sure he is really hungry, not crying for another reason. And have it done when you're not around. Good luck!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 6:16 pm
I had the same problem! I kept on buying new formulas (similac/materna/enfamil) but nothing helped! I bought different type of bottles... she stared solids at 6 months and I was her bottle. Whenever I wasnt home or she was by a babysitter, she ate solids and was spoonfed some water to quench her thirst. At 9 months the dr diagnosed her with a tongue tie... so it might be she wasn't able to drink from a bottle due to this reason... the dr clipped her tongue yesterday, id idnt have a chance to give her a bottle yet.

Did you try other formulas? might be s/he doesnt anymore the formula you are giving her/him.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 6:33 pm
amother- he has never had formula, only pumped breastmilk. Not about to change that. I doubt he has tongue tie, b/c he has no problems nursing and has taken bottles without a problem in the past.

Mabellevie- even when I'm not around, he doesn't take them. I will try maybe new nipples for the bottle- any suggestions?

wifey

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 9:18 pm
I would try the different nipple/bottle thing. Does DC take a pacifier? If they do try that manufacturers nipple. I "fought" with DS for 3 weeks to take a bottle (starting at 3 weeks) and the only one he would take was the same company as his pacifier.

paprika

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 10:44 pm
Maybe nipple needs a bigger hole? You can cut the hole in an "X" shape.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics