Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Betty?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 10:51 am
I've been thinking lately that I'd really like to name a girl after an aunt I was close to, named Betty. She wasn't Jewish, this aunt, but she was a major baalas chesed, was a second mother to me, and is a big part of why I'm frum now.

(Please, nobody tell me that I shouldn't name after a non-Jew. I'll take that up with a rav if I need to.)

My husband and I want to give our children only Hebrew names (ie, no secular name on the birth certificate). How can I name after Betty in a way that would be meaningful? The only thing I can come up with is Elisheva, since Betty is a form of Elizabeth which was originally Elisheva...but I don't want to go to Aunt Betty's husband and say "hey this is my daughter Elisheva who is named after your wife"...it wouldn't mean anything to him, nor the rest of the family.

Any other ideas for how to name after a Betty in Hebrew, in a way that non-frum and non-Jews can relate to it?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 10:54 am
Batia? Bitia?

CatLady

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 10:56 am
Batya would be the closest equivalent name that I can think of. Since "Betty" as a name isn't so common and people do go for fancier versions, this would probably be fine as far as they are concerned. What a wonderful way to commemorate your favourite aunt!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 10:57 am
Ah, that's a good one Ruchel! Unfortunately I can't use it, because we have a Batya in the family. And I think Bitya is basically the same name, no?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 10:59 am
And thank you as well to CatLady, I think our posts went through at roughly the same time...

Barbara

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
I've been thinking lately that I'd really like to name a girl after an aunt I was close to, named Betty. She wasn't Jewish, this aunt, but she was a major baalas chesed, was a second mother to me, and is a big part of why I'm frum now.

(Please, nobody tell me that I shouldn't name after a non-Jew. I'll take that up with a rav if I need to.)

My husband and I want to give our children only Hebrew names (ie, no secular name on the birth certificate). How can I name after Betty in a way that would be meaningful? The only thing I can come up with is Elisheva, since Betty is a form of Elizabeth which was originally Elisheva...but I don't want to go to Aunt Betty's husband and say "hey this is my daughter Elisheva who is named after your wife"...it wouldn't mean anything to him, nor the rest of the family.

Any other ideas for how to name after a Betty in Hebrew, in a way that non-frum and non-Jews can relate to it?

Well, you could always follow in Natalie Portman's footsteps. Alef. Bet.

All joking aside, I think your uncle *would* get the connection between Betty and Elishva, the same way he'd get it if you named the baby Elizabeth. Especially if you explain the connection.

And unless I'm misreading you, b'shaa tova.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 11:02 am
Thanks Barbara! Nope, no b'sha'ah tovah for me at this point...just, Aunt Betty passed recently and I got to thinking about possibly honoring her that way in future.

gila-rina

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 11:28 am
I think any name that starts with the same sound (either B or E) would work

CatLady

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 11:57 am
How about Batsheba? She can be called Beth as a nickname, which is contemporary and very pretty IMHO.

torahtots

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 1:37 pm
I love Bat-Ami/Bethami.

checkbefore

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 6:13 pm
My mother's hebrew name is baila, and her english name is Betty.

Blue jay

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 8:04 pm
This may sound a little out there, but how about keeping"Betty" which I hear is making a comeback and spelling it out in hebrew. I wonder if there is any gematria with the letter Bait. Or bet means house .... and you can add to it or come up with a cool middle name. Also, I think its really special that you are honoring your aunt in this way.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 8:09 pm
Etty? Like Betty sans the B?

smile85

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 8:13 pm
I know a woman in her 50s, her english name is betty, hebrew name is baila.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 8:14 pm
my grandmother was betty, hebrew was basya

Isramom8

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 8:37 pm
Batel / Bat-El
Batzion / Bat-Zion
Batami / Bat-Ami

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:39 am
Would Bessie do? Does it sound more Jewish than Betty? To me, Betty does not sound Jewish.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 5:40 am
Quote:
My husband and I want to give our children only Hebrew names (ie, no secular name on the birth certificate).

I'd rather give a non-Hebrew name than name after a non-Jew. A name for a person can have an (indirect) affect on your child. If you want to call your child "Betty" find a Jewish woman in history or a special ancestor to name after and then call her whatever you want.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 6:19 am
amother wrote:
Quote:
My husband and I want to give our children only Hebrew names (ie, no secular name on the birth certificate).

I'd rather give a non-Hebrew name than name after a non-Jew. A name for a person can have an (indirect) affect on your child. If you want to call your child "Betty" find a Jewish woman in history or a special ancestor to name after and then call her whatever you want.

Obviously you missed the part where the OP said she'll take it up with a Rav if she feels it's necessary.

OP, when you say you have a Batya 'in the family' does that mean you have child already named Batya, or is your mother/MIL/grandmothers named Batya?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 6:33 am
Betty is very Yekke.
Basya, Breindel, Elisheva, Beila...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names