Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Betty?
Previous  1  2

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 6:37 am
Batsheva

merelyme

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 6:46 am
shalhevet?

Monsey Mama

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 7:31 am
What about Yitty or Gitty?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 9:59 am
YESHASettler wrote:
amother wrote:
Quote:
My husband and I want to give our children only Hebrew names (ie, no secular name on the birth certificate).

I'd rather give a non-Hebrew name than name after a non-Jew. A name for a person can have an (indirect) affect on your child. If you want to call your child "Betty" find a Jewish woman in history or a special ancestor to name after and then call her whatever you want.

Obviously you missed the part where the OP said she'll take it up with a Rav if she feels it's necessary.

OP, when you say you have a Batya 'in the family' does that mean you have child already named Batya, or is your mother/MIL/grandmothers named Batya?

amother, that was really unnecessary.

Thank you YESHASettler. Actually, Batya is one of my own names, I just wasn't sure whether I wanted to post as amother and immediately tell people my name....

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 10:29 am
Ah, the only reason I asked was some people take the not using names to some extremes. I share the same first name with 2 first cousins... and I have several cousins and a sister who all named for our grandfather.

DovDov

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 10:47 am
I don't know about your family, but I know my extended non-religious (and in some cases non-Jewish) family consider it to be "naming in honor of" so long as the first letter is the same. So Batsheva would certainly work. You can call her Betty as a family pet name to bring back your own warm feelings about that aunt.

And I don't think naming in honor of someone is the same as naming after someone. Besides, I know many non-Jews I'd expect to be better "influences" than some Jewish ancestors. I'm fighting with DH about one ancestor in particular that his father really wants us to name after, in the Jewish sense, but who really wasn't a person I'd want to link my child to.

Shuly

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:22 pm
Bracha Tova

imaima

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:08 pm
Aliza, after Elizabeth?

marshmellow

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 9:01 pm
I love the name Betty! I think it's really sweet and elegant at the same time

Raizle

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 9:12 pm
I don't see why your uncle won't get the connection if you used Elisheva.

Elisheva is a beautiful name and you can tell him it's the hebrew equivelant of Elizabeth (which must be betty's name, isn't it?)

being as you are frum it should be pretty obvious to him why you used the hebrew version.
I think it's simple enough to explain but then again I don't know your uncle

amother

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 2:55 am
No, as far as I know Betty's name was just Betty, not short for Elizabeth.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 25 2011, 1:40 pm
My grandmother was Betty and my two cousins were named after her. One is Bette (pronounced like the hebrew letter) and one is Batya.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 9:37 am
I just found this thread again, years later! I'm the OP, and I have a one-year-old whose second name is Elisheva Smile

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
I just found this thread again, years later! I'm the OP, and I have a one-year-old whose second name is Elisheva Smile

Mazel tov! If you had any boys in between mazel tov on them too Wink
I must remember to check the thread dates.

myself

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:15 am
Mazel Tov! It's always nice to hear the 'end' of a story. Have a lot of nachas.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:30 am
Mazel Tov! I love the name Betty. It's sweet and old fashioned (in a good kind of way.)

My grandmother's name was Leola Doris, and in Hebrew it was Leah Devorah. She had everyone call her Lee.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:36 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Mazel tov! If you had any boys in between mazel tov on them too Wink
I must remember to check the thread dates.

Thanks! She's my one and only, after many years Smile

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 11:30 am
And even though we call her by her first name, which isn't Elisheva and sounds nothing like Betty, my uncle (and most of that branch of the family) calls her "Betty Junior" and I think it's adorable.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names