Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hard contacts

amother

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:13 pm
My teenage daughter was recommended by her eye Dr. to get hard contact lenses. I always thought these were unsafe, but her Dr. claims they are not. Has anyone here ever had, or know someone who has had hard contacts? Did it cause any problems?
Thank you

sequoia

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:27 pm
I had them, and they were torture. But then I'm happy to wear glasses.

Supposedly they are better than soft when you are very near-sighted (which I am), so that could be why her eye doctor recommended them.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:36 pm
Did you get used to them after a while?

My daughter has astigmatism. Her Dr. said she can get soft ones, but they won't correct her vision as well as the hard ones.

sequoia

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:38 pm
Yes, he's right.

I did not. I threw them away and continued wearing my glasses.

chanahlady

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:40 pm
I had them and had no problems with them. I only wore them for a few years, and I don't know if they helped my eyesight or not. How can you prove something didn't happen? Anyway, they act as "braces" to keep the curvature of the eye in check so the vision doesn't get worse. The biggest problem I had was trying to get them out of my eye -- typically the way you do it is you stretch the corner of your eye and blink hard, and the contact pops off. The contacts were always popping out onto the bathroom floor when I tried doing this and I had to get someone to help me search for them.

sequoia

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:45 pm
I simply could NOT get them out...

chanahlady

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:50 pm
They also make a little suction cup with a stem -- you put it smack in the middle of the lens and pull it off your eye. I used that a few times, too.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:56 pm
Besides for the health risk, I'm also worried about spending the $250 for the fitting + $100 for the first pair, and then having her decide it's not worth it.

I advised her to stay away from contacts altogether, but she really wants them.

mandksima

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 4:04 pm
My son started wearing them when he was about 7 to fix really poor eyesight. He never complains they are uncomfortable but doesn't have anything to compare it to although he did have soft contacts in the beginning that never really fit as properly or worked as well. He is 10 now and we still have to put them in (easy) and take them out for him every night (harder - we use a suction tool.)

What are the safety issues from hard contacts? I actually got an infection with ulcers in my eyes from monthly throw-a-ways and had to go to daily disposables but I don't know if hard lenses have the same risks. I did start with them when I was a teen but haven't worn them in years. Soft are definitely more comfortable for me.

My father has to wear hard because of the curvature of his eyes so maybe that is why your dr is recommending them for your dd?

sim

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 9:49 pm
I had them (age 12), hated them, and refused to wear them after a year of trying. They hurt, dried out my eyes, and were a pain to put in and out. I switched to soft ones (which I love) when I was a little older. My husband, however, got hard lenses at about the same age I did and he still wears the same type. He has never had a moment's trouble with them. go figure. Seriously, though, if she CAN wear soft ones (if it's not an issue of curvature that would make soft lenses difficult to wear) I would go with those b/c she's more likely to adjust to them better and wear them long term. Also, soft lenses make your eyes look prettier -- hard lenses make them look beady.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:50 pm
Well, I've worn hard contact lenses for more than 30 years. Many years ago hard lenses changed to become gas permeable lenses (also hard) which "breathe" more, and are safer for the eyes, so there is no longer the concern that they are not safe to wear.
It does take some time to get used to having something in ones eyes, but they are great lenses. I too have an astigmatism, and usually soft lenses do not correct that as well as hard lenses. (There are some soft lenses, toric, that work ok with some degrees of astigmatism.)
I had been told years ago that hard lenses tended to help prevent the eyes from becoming weaker, so they were prescribed for those people who had frequent changes in perscription. I don't know if that is still the going belief or not.
As to getting them in and out of the eye. You get the hang of it! We learned the hard way (My sister dropped hers down the drain)...best to put them in or take them out while sitting at the table or leaning over the kitchen counter, using a cup of water instead of the sink. Supposedly, hard lenses give sharper vision, and once used to that, it is hard to change to soft.
I'd find out why the eye doctor suggested hard lenses, and then if your daughter will benefit from them, teach her how to care for them and let her get them.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:57 pm
Quote:
Also, soft lenses make your eyes look prettier -- hard lenses make them look beady.

Huh? I've never heard or noticed this. I wear hard lenses as do many friends. No beady eyes here! My kids wear soft. We notice no difference.
Hard lenses even come in colors. Don't know if soft do.
Soft lenses do take much less time to get used to. There is a period of adjustment time w/hard lenses, but there are usually reasons that a person is told to get hard (really gas permeable) vs. soft.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:57 pm
Quote:
Also, soft lenses make your eyes look prettier -- hard lenses make them look beady.

Huh? I've never heard or noticed this. I wear hard lenses as do many friends. No beady eyes here! My kids wear soft. We notice no difference.
Hard lenses even come in colors. Don't know if soft do.
Soft lenses do take much less time to get used to. There is a period of adjustment time w/hard lenses, but there are usually reasons that a person is told to get hard (really gas permeable) vs. soft.

STovah

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 9:45 am
I've been wearing hard lenses for the past 14-15 years. I was always under the impression that they are safer and more hygienic than soft lenses (at least that's what a number of eye doctors told me). Eye doctors have also told me that hard lenses do a better job of maintaining the eyesight than soft lenses (as in, they somehow keep vision from getting worse).

chillax

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 10:40 am
I didn't even know they still made them Smile

amother

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 11:52 pm
I also wear hard (gas permeable) lenses for the past 20+ years and same as the two other posters said about them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics