Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Keep clothes for next baby?
1  2  Next

gs675

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:18 am
Did u ever manage to keep alot of clothes of one kid to the next? I just went through the clothes from baby nr 1 and I had to throw 99% out cause they were either washed out or had stains. What's ur experience?

ElTam

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:21 am
Yes, I kept a lot of clothes. I use Shout for stain treatment, plus bibs to protect once solid food starts. Some stuff has to go in the rag bag, but the vast majority got saved.

gs675

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:31 am
Were they expensive stuff? I'm wondering if it's cause the expensive stuff stayed fine while the others didn't.
Also, on what temperature did u wash them?

SingALong

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:33 am
I saved tons of clothing not only from child 1 to 2 but some things also lasted till child #3. (3 girls). now by baby #3 I have tons of clothing for her. I only buy her things to coordinate with the big ones if I want to match them. I dont buy any basics like undershirts/stretchies, etc.

stained or ripped clothes I definitely had to get rid of but most stuff I kept. also, if a stretchie to sleep in had a little stain it didnt bother me so I kept it, still use some of those. outfits to go out in I didnt keep if it was stained. so only keep what you think you will use.

obagys

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:33 am
Depends. Some of my kids spit up A LOT and from those kids I wasn't able to save much. From my kids that didn't spit up much I saved a lot. Because I have K"H 5 girls, I got tired of some of the outfits and sold them in a yard sale or ebay and used the money to buy new stuff! DS of course had a whole new wardrobe.

gs675

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:45 am
Wow I'm surprised they lasted so long. Did u wash them ever on 40 degrees?

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 10:58 am
I have clothing from my 6 yr old that my baby is using now. I have both expensive and inexpensive things and most of them were fine. I soaked all the stuff in oxyclean overnight and then washed them. even the ones that were spit up on by my faucet baby, came out good as new. I even got comments from ppl who couldnt believe the clothing was 6 yrs old.

also, I have a freind who has two boys with the same age difference as my two boys. she comes "shopping" in my boxes at the start of every season, and is bh able to save a lot of money that way as her husbands learns. after shes done with them, I get them back and put them away. as I sed, im using them now for my baby and they look brand new.

Bea21

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 11:04 am
I wash most stuff on warm or cold. Hot is only for whites, because colors bleed/fade in hot.
Also, my kids grow fast, so ds1 was only in each baby size for about 2 months. (He's ka"h size 2T now, at 14 months old!)
So, when ds2 wears the stuff, most of it looks barely worn.
It's funny, someone gave me hand-me-down clothes for ds1, and in it I found something he had as a baby, which now fits ds2. I've dressed them both in it, matching, and the one that I had looks brand new compared to the bigger one that I just got!

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 11:27 am
Baby#3 is using the baby clothes we bought before baby #1 was born. It's kinda funny because they're boy clothes (some yellow and green) and now we have a daughter after our two sons. The really funny thing is that the clothes came to us USED! Yes, I got a fabulous deal on a big box of barely-used baby clothes on ebay and that's where almost everything our kids wore until 18months came from.

IMO, good brand name stuff lasts better, A lot of our stuff is from Carter's.

Or maybe we have more clothes, so each item got used less... I'm not sure. DH said that if we had girls, they would wear the blue clothes if they were in good condition. B"H, we've gotten some pink clothes as gifts... I'm fine with DD wearing blue at home and going out to the grocery store, but I am not bringing my blue-dressed baby to a friend's bris and have people ask about how my baby's bris was...lol.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 1:58 pm
We passed down alomst all the clothes from baby to baby, assuming the season and size matched up.

My kids didn't spit up.

imaima

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 2:05 pm
Jacuzzi wrote:
Did u ever manage to keep alot of clothes of one kid to the next? I just went through the clothes from baby nr 1 and I had to throw 99% out cause they were either washed out or had stains. What's ur experience?

There is nothing wrong with washed out, IMO. In fact, some people davka buy used stuff on ebay, like ewa-jo, because washed things don't have these chemicals that the brand-new things have. Like, when you buy for a baby, you wash everything once before putting it on them, anyway, right?

So, I definitely used things that are washed-out, at least for a newborn, as for the stained things, I reuse pyjamas and other stuff that is not worn in public. If I am very attached to some item, I might even reuse it if it has an inconspicuous stain.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 2:35 pm
Yes, we definitely keep clothes to pass down to the next child. My baby is now wearing clothes that both of her older sisters wore. Some still look new; others show their age. I don't mind if they look faded. After sitting in storage for a couple years, some outfits did come out of the box with stains that weren't visible when the clothes were put away. I just soak them in oxygen cleaner and most of them look great after a single treatment.

Although each subsequent child seems to get fewer gifts, I think each of my kids received at least one or two outfits when they were born. So I usually have a few things that look newer if I want my child to look especially nice for some reason.

melalyse

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 3:40 pm
I put away all of my kids stuff. Baby #1 was a boy, #2 a girl and #3 a boy. I am disappointed in how dirty all of the things are when I am taking them out. I don't remember putting things away that filthy. A lot of things are very yellow. As a newborn I didn't care so much because he was swaddled and sleeping most of the day, but now at 7 months I don't want him to wear dirty clothing. I hear how people pass down clothing to 4 or 5 kids, but I am really only using maybe 10%. I am not seeing a difference in different brands.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 3:49 pm
My babies 0-3 months seem in great condition even the things I took from my mother that she had from my brothers...although at this stage even thinking of another baby gives me chills but I wont give it away or throw it out because you never know Wink

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 3:52 pm
Make clothes wet with cold water before pretreating.
Use Zout spray for regular stains.
Soak in OxyClean dissolved in boiling water, according to pkg directions, for tougher stains.
Wash darks on cold.
Lights on warm.
Use bibs, especially if baby is formula fed!

Clothes may need to be soaked before using for next baby.

Hashemlovesme

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 4:19 pm
I find that I throw out more stuff I.e. they're all stained, after the Summer than Winter.

torahtots

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 4:38 pm
BinahYeteirah wrote:
Yes, we definitely keep clothes to pass down to the next child. My baby is now wearing clothes that both of her older sisters wore. Some still look new; others show their age. I don't mind if they look faded. After sitting in storage for a couple years, some outfits did come out of the box with stains that weren't visible when the clothes were put away. I just soak them in oxygen cleaner and most of them look great after a single treatment.

Although each subsequent child seems to get fewer gifts, I think each of my kids received at least one or two outfits when they were born. So I usually have a few things that look newer if I want my child to look especially nice for some reason.

Wait, you can soak clothes in Oxyclean years later and it will get the stains out?! That is GREAT news b/c I am b"H expecting and I have clothes from previous kids that I never threw out but never got the stains out of and just put away to deal with "one day." Do you think they can be saved??

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 4:42 pm
torahtots wrote:
BinahYeteirah wrote:

Wait, you can soak clothes in Oxyclean years later and it will get the stains out?! That is GREAT news b/c I am b"H expecting and I have clothes from previous kids that I never threw out but never got the stains out of and just put away to deal with "one day." Do you think they can be saved??
Usually the OxyClean will take out yellow age stains that develop in the storage boxes. But if the clothes were put away with stains on them, you might be out of luck.
Worth a shot to try with a few pieces first, before you decide to throw them out.

torahtots

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 4:45 pm
Thanks! Definitely worth a try!

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 8:13 pm
Newborn stuff lasts from kid to kid, crawling stage clothing gets trashed after each kid, usually its too stained to salvage. 12 month and up is usually good to pass on too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries