Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
ISo stuffed cabbage - the hungarian way!
1  2  Next

Motheroftwins

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 11:49 am
I am looking for a recipe for stuffed cabbage that tastes hungarian - what I mean by this is very thick, sweet sauce - very saucy...anyone have a recipe they would like to share that matches this description? I am not looking for a recipe that uses tomato sauce - I think one w marinara sauce might work better....
TIA

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 11:52 am
This one from Pomegranate is very sweet and saucy.

Stuffed Cabbage

• 1 head cabbage, centers removed

For easy preparation, put the cabbage head in the freezer for 4 days before you pan to make the stuffed cabbage. Remove and soak in hot water to defrost. Use a sharp knife to remove the tough centers of the cabbage and gently separate the leaves. Rinse each leaf well.

Meat Filling:
• 2 lbs. ground beef
• 1/2 cup rice, cooked
• 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 2 Tbsp sugar
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/4 cup paprika

Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Place about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the meat filling on one cabbage leaf. Tuck one side of the leaf in, over the meat, and roll upward, tucking in the other side after the leaf is completely encircling the meat. Transfer the cabbage, seam side down, to a baking pan. Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and filling.

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
• 1/2 of a (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
• 1-1/2 cups cold water
• 1 can tomato sauce
• 1/2 of a small can tomato paste
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup white vinegar
• 2 Tbsp paprika
• salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Gently pour the sauce over the stuffed cabbage. It should reach the top of the pan.
Cover the stuffed cabbage with a sheet of baking paper. Then cover the pan with foil, sealing tightly. Bake at 350 for 2-1/2 - 3 hours.

It's simpler than it sounds!

sarahd

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 12:16 pm
I hope you get a good recipe, but thought I would point out that Hungarian stuffed cabbage is not sweet. Polish stuff is sweet, not Hungarian.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 7:29 pm
sarahd wrote:
I hope you get a good recipe, but thought I would point out that Hungarian stuffed cabbage is not sweet. Polish stuff is sweet, not Hungarian.
Depends on the region Smile
The Polish background we have it completely savory. Sweet is saved for desserts.
And the Hungarian background we have is totally sweet.
Really, truly depends on what part of Poland, and what part of Hungary.

culinaryk

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 6:46 am
My recipe is similar to RA mom but the sauce is different. It is delicious but any Hungarian cook (the older generation) that I know would only cook this in a pot on the stove and never in the oven. I love doing it in the oven, but then again I don't consider myself in the league of the Hungarian cooks:)

The sauce I use is as follows:

4 Meat Bones
1 can/s Tomato Juice
1/2 cup/s Brown Sugar
1/2 cup/s Lemon Juice
1 can/s Small Tomato Paste Or Ketchup

Cook the ingredients on a low flame for about 30 minutes until nice and thick.

enjoy!

zzzz

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This one from Pomegranate is very sweet and saucy.

Stuffed Cabbage

• 1 head cabbage, centers removed

For easy preparation, put the cabbage head in the freezer for 4 days before you pan to make the stuffed cabbage. Remove and soak in hot water to defrost. Use a sharp knife to remove the tough centers of the cabbage and gently separate the leaves. Rinse each leaf well.

Meat Filling:
• 2 lbs. ground beef
• 1/2 cup rice, cooked
• 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 2 Tbsp sugar
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/4 cup paprika

Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Place about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the meat filling on one cabbage leaf. Tuck one side of the leaf in, over the meat, and roll upward, tucking in the other side after the leaf is completely encircling the meat. Transfer the cabbage, seam side down, to a baking pan. Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and filling.

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
• 1/2 of a (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
• 1-1/2 cups cold water
• 1 can tomato sauce
• 1/2 of a small can tomato paste
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup white vinegar
• 2 Tbsp paprika
• salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Gently pour the sauce over the stuffed cabbage. It should reach the top of the pan.
Cover the stuffed cabbage with a sheet of baking paper. Then cover the pan with foil, sealing tightly. Bake at 350 for 2-1/2 - 3 hours.

It's simpler than it sounds!

I am short in ground beef. How would it taste if I use some ground dark chicken in combination with the beef?

momofqts

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:13 am
Would taste fine. A little lighter than plain beef. My kids actually prefer a mix of beef and chicken

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:23 am
Agree with Ramon on the Hungarian an polish style of taste when it comes to sweet and savory.
Dh and I abandoned that and we make it how we like it . I actually don't put any sugar or vinegar in my sauce. I leave it as is and just add salt and fresh garlic. I also bake it and don't cook. It's less messy. And it keeps the shape better. And the heat doesn't escape like when cooking. So your not worried of overspill. And yes you can put ground anything either chicken turkey or meat or veal. Meat works the best because it bakes for long. And the fat makes it stay moist

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:30 am
Should be fine zzzz!

zzzz

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 9:39 am
ra_mom wrote:
Should be fine zzzz!

Thanks,for posting this recipe. I made it last year, it's came out delic!

Davida

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 4:23 am
hi! I would like to attempt the stuffed cabbage this year. How many servings do you get with this recipe posted above? TIA

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 4:27 am
Davida wrote:
hi! I would like to attempt the stuffed cabbage this year. How many servings do you get with this recipe posted above? TIA

It makes a lot. How many people do you need to serve? Do they eat this as the only main dish?

L K

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 7:51 am
How long does it take to check one head of frozen and defrosted cabbage?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 7:53 am
L K wrote:
How long does it take to check one head of frozen and defrosted cabbage?

Not that long. Freeze the head for 2 days and defrost for half a day so it's nice and translucent and easily to check and roll. But each step put together is time consuming. Just break it up into steps and it won't be difficult.

Davida

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 8:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It makes a lot. How many people do you need to serve? Do they eat this as the only main dish?

9 people. probably main dish with mashed potatoes and veggies/salad. The meal starts so late on simchas torah. maybe an appetizer first? (open to ideas without fish, sesame, eggs, mayo..lots of allergies)

will it be enough?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 8:48 pm
Davida wrote:
9 people. probably main dish with mashed potatoes and veggies/salad. The meal starts so late on simchas torah. maybe an appetizer first? (open to ideas without fish, sesame, eggs, mayo..lots of allergies)

will it be enough?

Serve it with a little something else as well and should be enough.

happinessseeker

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 6:21 am
How is this recipe? I'm looking to make stuffed cabbage for the first time. Want it to be really good and not too complicated Wink

happinessseeker

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 11:01 am
Is it a half a cup of raw rice that is then cooked? Or a half a cup of cooked rice?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 11:22 am
happinessseeker wrote:
Is it a half a cup of raw rice that is then cooked? Or a half a cup of cooked rice?

Cook up half cup rice (2 cups once cooked)

macadamia

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 3:58 am
So its a day before and I didn't freze the cabage head. Here's the boiling method I found at joy of kosher:
Cut out the cabbages hard core. About 3 inch deep.
Boil heads of cabbage until leaves begin to come apart. About 15-20 minutes. Remove from water and set aside to cool.

Doesn't mention there but what kind of bug am I looking for when im checking?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus