Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Rosh Hashannah at Carlebach Shul- whats it like?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 4:23 pm
DH and I want to be in a different minyan this R"H. Thinking of some hartzig, deep place and I thought of the Carlebach Shul. I live in BP. Would the Carlebach Shul be total culture shock (possible there are women singing along, etc?)? if Id want to be on theWest Side, could I rent a room with kitchenette somewhere? Any other ideas?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 11:20 pm
You can go to Rabbi Meir Fund's shul in Flatbush, its carlbachy, and beautiful davening. I miss it since I got married. It was and is the only Inspiring davening I have ever had. the singing is beautiful, Rabbi fund was very close to Shlomo Carlbach, and it is Carlbach inspired.

I think you will have culture shock in the Carlbach Shul or by Rabbi fund. Its not a typical BP chassidish davening. But both are really Lovely inspiring places to be.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 12:34 am
I like Carlebach davening. I think it really adds to my kavanah.
In our shul (not Carlebach), women sing along with songs anyway, so that's not an issue. I don't know if it will be a "culture shock" for you -- depends what you are used to.

If I were xtian, I'd join a Black gospel church. Smile

amother

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 12:43 am
DrMom wrote:
In our shul (not Carlebach), women sing along with songs anyway, so that's not an issue. I don't know if it will be a "culture shock" for you -- depends what you are used to.

Sounds nice, but Im no Rabbi, but there is the Kol Isha issue.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
DrMom wrote:

According to some Kol Isha does not apply to davening.

Most rabbonim hold that a group of women is not kol Isha, only one woman. Its the psak widely used in girls camps. When I was in camp, the camp rabbi (charedi on steroids) sang eishet chayil with us every shabbat and shalom Aleichem. He also always stayed in the dining room during zemirot and singing during the week.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 11:27 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
amother wrote:
DrMom wrote:

According to some Kol Isha does not apply to davening.

Most rabbonim hold that a group of women is not kol Isha, only one woman.

^^This is what I learned.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 1:07 pm
Anywhere that DH and I can experience Carlebach type davening and rent a room with fridge, hot plate?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics