Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Applying for child health plus NY

amother

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 11:13 pm
PLEASE HELP!!
What address do I send the application to? I printed the application from the website but nowhere does it give me an address to send it to! Do I need to go down to an office or can I mail it? I called them and they gave me an address in MN. Does it make sense that I should send it to MN if it is for NY?!

mosma

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 12:12 am
no! it needs to go to the chp building in your county. I would go in person. it only takes a few minutes. I mailed mine to the wrong place once (although same county, I sent it to medicaid by mistake) and they made me pick it up and drop it off at the chp building (in the same complex!) and then chp called me and told me I needed to come in person anyway. but the whole thing took about 5 minutes. they were very efficient.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 1:49 am
How do apply for a newborn?

mosma

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 7:18 am
U don't. Newborns until age one are eligible for Medicaid under the no child left behind law. If the baby's not born yet, apply NOW. I was told to wait until after DD was born and then after she was born it was a nightmare because apparently I was supposed to do it while I was pregnant and it ended up going retroactively but she technically had no insurance for a month and even after u had to chase Medicaid and the hospital to file the claim and get my money back. It was awful.

shosh22

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 5:25 pm
Mosma- would you be able to please tell me what I apply for now? I am iyH due in six weeks and we keep getting told different things in terms of applying now or after the birth and we can't seem to figure out what or where we should be applying for now to have CHP.

Thanks in advance!

mosma

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 5:36 pm
shosh22 wrote:
Mosma- would you be able to please tell me what I apply for now? I am iyH due in six weeks and we keep getting told different things in terms of applying now or after the birth and we can't seem to figure out what or where we should be applying for now to have CHP.

Thanks in advance!
apply for Medicaid and do it BEFORE the baby's born no matter what they tell u on the phone. I made too much money to get chp but was eligible for Medicaid. It was weird. My son was on chp but the regulations r different for kids under 1.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 5:41 pm
Call up COJO of Flatbush they will help you with the entire process. It is well worth going through them they tell you exactly what you need and which documents to submit. You can google their phone # or check the yellow pages.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 7:38 pm
How do you apply for insurance for CHP for a unnamed, not born child?

mosma

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 9:34 pm
prob ull be eligible for Medicaid not chp. U leave the baby info out I guess. I don't know bec I did it too late but the supervisor told me I was supposed to do it before she was born.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 9:47 pm
I don't need medicaid. I don't qualify for it and I have separate insurance. I'm asking about CHP for my future child. When would I apply for that?

mosma

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 10:19 am
lamplighter wrote:
I don't need medicaid. I don't qualify for it and I have separate insurance. I'm asking about CHP for my future child. When would I apply for that?

I understand what you're asking. I also had my own separate insurance from work and my son was on CHP bec we made too much for medicaid. but when I called to put DD on they said that I make too much for CHP for newborns and I need to apply for medicaid. it sounds weird but ppl who don't qualify for medicaid and qualify for CHP for their kids DO qualify for medicaid for newborns (and do not qualify for CHP for newborns). once she turned one, my dd lost her medicaid and I put her on CHP.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 1:33 pm
Thanks so much for helping me through this (even tho I am not the OP).
So do I still apply before s/he is born? How?

mosma

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 2:07 pm
I don't know what you're eligible for, but I would call ur local social services office and ask them.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 3:30 pm
For Child Health Plus you can only apply once the baby is born. The application needs to have the baby's name and date of birth on it.
If you apply by the 20th of the month the child will be covered the first of the next month.
If you apply after the 20th you will need to wait more than a month for the child to be covered.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics