Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Lunches for a low fat/low sodium diet

Anon1

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 1:55 pm
I'm hoping someone can help.My husband has been put on a low sodium low fat diet due to health issues. Specifically,he can have 2 whole eggs per week,whites whenever.beef once a week, mozzarella never but other cheeses occasionally. fish,chicken,and turkey are fine. everything else he does eat needs to be low fat and no added sodium.Here is the problem:he is extremely picky,and doesn't like to spend time preparing lunches either. He will not eat tuna . he is not interested in egg white omelets or anything like that. What lunches are quick to prepare on the spot,or can be prepared easily the night before/for the week/frozen in advance? Thanks for any and all help !!!

takeiteasy

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 1:58 pm
VEGGIE BURGERS, SALAD WITH CHICK PEAS, LENTIL BURGERS, BROILED SALMON.

Anon1

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 2:05 pm
takeiteasy wrote:
VEGGIE BURGERS, SALAD WITH CHICK PEAS, LENTIL BURGERS, BROILED SALMON.

Well,he won't eat 3 out of 4 of those things, but the veggie patties might work-he used to order them in restaurants all the time. Thanks !! !

greeneyes

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 2:11 pm
What does he like?

A few ideas:

low fat cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon, vanilla extract, & sugar or sweetener on whole grain cinnamon raisin bread (I buy Ezekiel cinnamon raisin English muffins which are delicious)

chicken breast or turkey breast in a wrap or sandwich

a container of brown rice with lentils or beans

farmers cheese mixed with chopped vegetables (scallions, colored peppers, persian cucumbers etc.) on whole grain bread (I use Ezekiel sesame bread or sesame buns, yummy)

a container of whole wheat pasta mixed with low fat cottage cheese, cinnamon, & sugar or sweetener

All of these can be made pretty quickly. Add a sandwich bag of veggies like baby carrots, grape tomatoes etc.

Anon1

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 2:21 pm
greeneyes wrote:
What does he like?

A few ideas:

low fat cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon, vanilla extract, & sugar or sweetener on whole grain cinnamon raisin bread (I buy Ezekiel cinnamon raisin English muffins which are delicious)

chicken breast or turkey breast in a wrap or sandwich

a container of brown rice with lentils or beans

farmers cheese mixed with chopped vegetables (scallions, colored peppers, persian cucumbers etc.) on whole grain bread (I use Ezekiel sesame bread or sesame buns, yummy)

a container of whole wheat pasta mixed with low fat cottage cheese, cinnamon, & sugar or sweetener

All of these can be made pretty quickly. Add a sandwich bag of veggies like baby carrots, grape tomatoe
s etc.

Thank you so much for the ideas !! He doesn't eat cottage cheese,and won't eat salad type things-as his main food.pasta he doesn't like too often.The rice and beans or chicken wraps would work if I could get him to make it in advance,and bigger deal,get him to eat them as lunch since he considers them supper food.I told you-he's crazy picky. I would leave him to his own devices,but he's just not eating lunch,and it's not helping his mood(which affects the rest of us)... he normally would have either a deli sandwich, a nutella sandwich,or a peanut butter sandwich to give you an idea of the starting point here.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 2:27 pm
You mentioned that he likes deli sandwiches and pb sandwiches. Maybe he could still have those if he used oven roasted turkey breast (or does that stuff have a lot of sodium?) as opposed to smoked, and for PB he could limit the amount to 1 T. of natural unsalted PB on a filling whole grain bread?

Good luck! I know it must be difficult with the food restrictions and the fact that he's a picky eater!

elmos

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 8:20 pm
why not make a turkey or chicken roast and slice thin for him to make sandwhiches out of on whole wheat or multi grain bread or wraps . try making him soups in thermoses I find if I do not make food and have it ready in the fridge for him to grab or actually pack it most days he will not take it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics