Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Starting Solids

willow

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 1:51 pm
I am really excited because my baby is starting to show interest in solids.
While my first nursed without anything till almost 2 this one is different.
I have no idea where to start.
How much do they need?
What food groups do I target?
I have pureed carrots and he likes to nibble on rye crackers (they turn into mush in his mouth)

Also he is still regularly nursing so its all very confusing to me. Does he need water bottles; or will that
fill him up and he won't be getting nutrition?
Any advice would be appreciated.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 1:52 pm
How old is he?

willow

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 1:53 pm
OOh good question he is almost 10 months

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 1:57 pm
1. No need for water at all -- your milk is great hydration Smile
2. He's old enough not to need purees; textures are fine as long as he's using his mouth properly to mash things down before swallowing.
3. Target meats/proteins for iron and zinc primarily. Veggies as a second. Fruit is not as necessary, and no need to rush into dairy. Boiled chicken and meatballs are good foods at this age.

willow

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 2:32 pm
So if I have a piece of chicken how do I do it?
I may sound stupid but I really feel new to all of this.
Also he is used to having a bottle of formula a day to lull him to sleep. I want to stop this practice because of all the learning I am doing in these recent thread posts here on formula. How do I replace it in a way that makes sense? I can not pump so that is out.
By the way for those who remember my thread about what to send to the babysitter and you all insisting food is better then formula I just got it now.:Smile)
Hey better late then never right!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 9:12 pm
Boil the chicken in your soup for Shabbos, and take it out and cut it into tiny pieces and see what he does with it.

Honestly, for me, it's not about the formula lulling him to sleep, but the bottle...you want to break that habit...but that's a sleep training question probably best devoted to its own thread Smile

willow

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 10:49 am
Thank you HY.
The past few days have been a learning experience.
I did a lot of research and it is a bit clearer.
I have to say thanx to the formula thread.
Now I don't want to give him it at all. Even for
once a day.
How do I get rid of him relaying even on a water bottle?
He refuses a pacifier and if I nurse him to sleep he wakes no matter how long I wait to move him to bed.
Also he chokes on small bites so I am going to wait on the small chicken. I may buy a blender to blend the chicken.
The thing is now I am afraid I am not giving him any protein besides for nursing of course. He loves the crackers that melt and carrots.

willow

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 10:50 am
Also still with all of this he still wakes every two hours at night to nurse how do I make this less? I thought it would be easier once he starts solids.

willow

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 1:21 pm
K I threw out that emergency can of formula but he needs something in a bottle. I made carrots and put the water in and he refused it. I can put water in it but isn't it bad for a nursing baby to get full from water in between feedings? The amount of solids he is eating really does not amount to much at all right now.
Please help!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 1:30 pm
How full will he really get? If he's nursing every 2 hours and instead nurses after 4, at this age, I would not be worried. He can take more in a feeding if he needs it and will NOT go hungry.

Don't worry about how much protein he's getting -- right now it's a learning experience. It's great if he takes protein as it's more "necessary" than a different food group, but really his main source of nutrition is from you.

At 10 months if he has no allergies, I think he can handle some yogurt or cottage cheese as a testing food. That does have protein if it makes you feel better, and the texture is easier. If he takes it, you can add in mashed up fruits/veggies.
E.g. avocado and cottage cheese, applesauce and yogurt -- it gives it flavor as well as more diversity.

Is there a reason you can't nurse before bedtime? It might be easier to break that habit if you can switch it than a bottle since nursing has 2 components (sucking and touch) and you can eliminate one without getting rid of the other when you phase it out. Meaning, if he takes to nursing to sleep, you can lessen the feeding time gradually, hold him before bed...and wean him to holding by bedtime only, at which point that is lessened...you have more room to do things gradually.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 1:51 pm
FTR, my daughter is almost 18 months, and a solid meal for her consists of oatmeal or yogurt, banana, and a few whole wheat crackers. (That's what I pack for the sitter).
At home, it varies based on what we have but I don't really pay much attention if she's eating a lot as it all balances out and she wouldn't let me put her to sleep hungry!

willow

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:20 am
hy he does nurse before bedtime but he wakes the second I move so I have been giving him the bottle and usually it works. Now what? Is it bad I am giving him a bottle?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:23 am
If you could get him to just do it with water, it would be a habit to break, but not so bad. A bottle with anything else can lead to tooth decay.

willow

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 1:31 pm
Well now he is screaming because he doesn't want anything but when I nurse him I can not move after because he awakes and cries again.

ABC

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 1:45 pm
willow wrote:
Thank you HY.
The past few days have been a learning experience.
I did a lot of research and it is a bit clearer.
I have to say thanx to the formula thread.
Now I don't want to give him it at all. Even for
once a day.
How do I get rid of him relaying even on a water bottle?
He refuses a pacifier and if I nurse him to sleep he wakes no matter how long I wait to move him to bed.
Also he chokes on small bites so I am going to wait on the small chicken. I may buy a blender to blend the chicken.
The thing is now I am afraid I am not giving him any protein besides for nursing of course. He loves the crackers that melt and carrots.

what's the formula thread you mention? I'm interested in reading it

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:04 pm
willow wrote:
Well now he is screaming because he doesn't want anything but when I nurse him I can not move after because he awakes and cries again.

If I were you, I would try to sleep train at this point. Meaning, nurse him, but not to sleep. Then put him in the crib awake and teach him to fall asleep without a bottle. Otherwise, you will have the extra step of weaning from a bottle later. Also, if there is anything besides water in the bottle, you are putting him at risk for tooth decay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics