Home

Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to start-
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

observer

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:30 pm       Post subject: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to start-
Some that I can't stand:

-she fell pregnant (you don't fall pregnant. you become pregnant.)

-I could care less (if you could care less, that means that you do care. If you mean to say that you don't care, you say "I couldn't care less").

I know there are more, but they don't come to mind right now. I'll post them later.

sequoia

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:33 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
Hey, remember?

observer

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:43 pm       Post subject:
love it! it always bothered me!

Barbara

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:52 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
The use of words usually used to describe foods in connection with children.

She's yummy. He's delicious.

They turn may stomach, and frankly, make me want to hurl. I've given a lot of consideration to leaving this group because they're used so often.

Moreover, they convey absolutely no information whatsoever. Since I'm fairly sure that your child isn't a tasty treat. what is it that you want to say about him? That she's a squeezably chubby baby? A precocious toddler who makes many amusing comments and observations? He's cute? Then SAY IT.
We needs must love the highest when we see it,
Not Lancelot, nor another.

No cakes

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:54 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
"its good to be rich"

PinkFridge

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:56 pm       Post subject: Re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
observer wrote:
Some that I can't stand:

-she fell pregnant (you don't fall pregnant. you become pregnant.)

-I could care less (if you could care less, that means that you do care. If you mean to say that you don't care, you say "I couldn't care less").

I know there are more, but they don't come to mind right now. I'll post them later.

Fell pregnant is a British turn of phrase, AFAIK. I can't hold that against away. But caring less? Absolutely!
And when people ask me, The kids good?, I say, b"H they're fine but good is a moral judgment and I can only pray.

Here's one: besides for.
The righteous praise and honor people for every good quality that is found in them while the wicked seek out faults in others to pull them down, even if they repented those deeds. (Rabbeinu Yonah, from Partners in Kindness)

Ruchel

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:57 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
Adults calling dogs woof woofs or food num num. Ridiculous.

"You will have many many children and make successful shidduchim beh", reb. Esther Jungreis

myfriends715

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:06 pm       Post subject:
I hate the word panties it drives me insane. underwear

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/gFz6m4.png

Simple1

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:09 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
I don't care for parents saying about their little boys "He's a real boy!!!!". And if his personality was different - would he be a fake boy? or a girl? I've seen my girls often enough play in dirt, climb fences etc. - the very things that would bring that kind of comment if they were boys.

Ruchel

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:11 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
Randomly ending words in y, o or ers. Hubby, preggo, hubsters.
Even worse: doing it to names!

Simple1

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:13 pm       Post subject:
myfriends715 wrote:

That's funny. I say underwear because something about panties makes me nervous, I'm not sure what. I was always worried that I was teaching my kids the wrong word.

sequoia

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:15 pm       Post subject:
myfriends715 wrote:

Hear hear.

MommyZ

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:17 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
Calling restaurants or food meaty and milky instead of meat or dairy. I've been told that it's British but I'm sure that the Brooklynites who use are doing so as a mistranslation of Yiddish and not because they come from the UK, Australia or South Africa.

lamplighter

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:21 pm       Post subject:
I hate the expression "no offense". It means that you are about to offend someone.

NativeMom

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:22 pm       Post subject:
open/close the light

rain

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:24 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
cant stand when people say "good stuff"
e. ooo (eating something) good stuff
could be because my grandmother in law says it all the time in a really annoying voice
Very Happy

invisiblecircus

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:31 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
I think "I could care less" is American English because I have never heard it in British English.

Phrases that annoy me:

"could of" and "shoud of" instead of "could have" and "should have"

"pacific" instead of "specific"

"literally" when it isn't (I literally killed myself laughing!)

"I was sat on a chair" instead of "I was sitting..." or "I sat"

"very unique"

"less" instead of "fewer"

penguin

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:34 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
DH says the store is opened. Can't convince him the correct word is open.

MommyZ

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:36 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
My dh says may you instead of could you or would you.

sugarplum

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:58 pm       Post subject: re: Which words/phrases drive you crazy? Here are some to st
I hate lol.
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 7   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next