Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What would you like to read about in Frum magazines?
1  2  3  Next

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 9:18 pm
Hi,

I was talking to a writer for one of the popular frum magazines, and I gave her a couple of ideas for future articles. She really liked my ideas, and keeps emailing me if I thought of more ideas! And I'm running dry now, so I thought I'd ask you:

What kinds of things would you like to read about in upcoming articles in frum magazines?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 11:18 am
I don't know, but I DON'T want to read about the Mommy Wars.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 1:21 pm
I like when they run articles about regular people who do interesting things. Not artists who paint, though, they've already written up plenty of those. But I remember reading about a frum lady beekeeper, for example. Or people who move out to the wilderness and live off the land. Or someone who started a really original new business. Things like that.

The other thing I like to read about is new/up-and-coming technology, discoveries, medical treatments, etc.

faigyl

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 1:23 pm
I like to read about people who found out their children/spouse had a disease or genetic disorder and how they overcame that challenge.

Being in that situation myself, I find that very interesting.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 1:37 pm
You know what else is bad? When a "commercial" is made into an article.

No one wants to read stuff like that.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 2:02 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
You know what else is bad? When a "commercial" is made into an article.

No one wants to read stuff like that.

Yes!
I've seen these referred to as "advertorials" in other magazines...

Depressed

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 2:52 pm
I liked the article about what to teach girls in this weeks Binah

Tova

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 4:05 pm
Depressed wrote:

I have to read the article more closely, but I HATED the cover:

"Are We Teaching Our Girls Too Much?"

The only thing I could think of is that that totally slipped through the editorial process because it sounds horrible. And not even what the article is about.

Tova

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 8:46 pm
Addendum - I must say that the Homework article by Rabbi Ginsburg in the Binah was beyond excellent. Wow. It should be circulated to all mechanchim and mechanchos.

Alef Bais

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 9:30 pm
I would love to read some "Behind The Scenes" of what goes on at frum publications. How do they find their writers and editors? What makes them publish or pass on various submissions. I would love to see examples of what makes something print-worthy and what doesn't. Is it true that some magazines are very biased about who they publish?

I also like to read about real life people. Not all 'rebbetzin' types all the time. Rather, every day people like you and me and the struggles we go through and solutions that can help. I LOVED when the Yated ran their Mountain Climbers column, it was so great. Real life stories can be very inspirational.

I also find write-ups about various medical-related stories interesting, like what Ami has each week in Ami Living.

Grandmama

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 12:32 am
I would like to read true stories about relationships. How do most young adults relate to their parents nowadays? How has texting and other modern technological devices affected communication or lack thereof? I also like to read about reality, true stories of regular normal people.

ESB

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 1:47 am
Grandmama wrote:
I would like to read true stories about relationships. How do most young adults relate to their parents nowadays? How has texting and other modern technological devices affected communication or lack thereof? I also like to read about reality, true stories of regular normal people.

Ditto

And to add one more thing Id like to read infertillity stories, and how to cope with an only child.

LisaS

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 7:28 am
How can I get ahold of the homework article in Binah? Does Binah sell lone issues in sfarim stores or anything? Or would anyone out there be willing to lend me the magazine when you finish?

As for what I like reading - ditto to the above - stories of everyday people who overcame challenges.

I also enjoy reading about places in Eretz yisrael that have been profiled, and then make you want to go and visit them. Even if I have already visited there I could learn more about the history,geography,nature, kedusha in that place.

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 8:51 am
Lisa - yes, sefarim stores that carry magazines would carry Binah. If you live near me I'm happy to lend it.

He basically made the point that for homework to be effective it should fall into two categories:

1) Long term project, research report, etc. (like on a gadol, etc.)
2) A PREPARATION for what they will learn next in school. He expounds more on this in the article.

The only question I had truthfully was where does chazara for the boys fit into this. That's obviously essential. I'm thinking he doesn't consider that "homework."

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 9:05 am
Grandmama wrote:
How has texting and other modern technological devices affected communication or lack thereof

There was an article in Ami a month or so ago on this.
And I remember Binah discussing this in a supplement last year (on shalom? marriage?).
Still not exhausted though.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 9:40 am
Tova wrote:
Depressed wrote:

I have to read the article more closely, but I HATED the cover:

"Are We Teaching Our Girls Too Much?"

The only thing I could think of is that that totally slipped through the editorial process because it sounds horrible. And not even what the article is about.

I think, as a marketing thing, that such a headline is BRILLIANT. I found it offensive, sure, but I knew that it was just to rile me up and make me NEED to read the article to see if that's REALLY what they meant.

But I have no budget for the weekly magazines, so I'll have to wait to borrow it.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 10:14 am
Torah and science, philosophy, history

zigi

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 11:59 am
I really liked the history articles, like one was about jewish pirates in the Caribbean and another was about the civil war.

Seraph

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 12:24 pm
seeker wrote:
I like when they run articles about regular people who do interesting things. Not artists who paint, though, they've already written up plenty of those. But I remember reading about a frum lady beekeeper, for example. Or people who move out to the wilderness and live off the land. Or someone who started a really original new business. Things like that.
I would love to be interviewed for something like this.
I also think it would be really awesome to do a write up about someone like Happy Mom.

smile85

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 12:46 pm
What about broken engagements?

Shidduch Crisis?

or are those trite already?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics