Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Legal Holidays--- Frustrated!!!
1  2  Next

are you off on Labor Day
Yes- heimishe office and we work legal holidays  
 28%  [ 12 ]
no-  
 66%  [ 28 ]
Not sure yet-- depends if boss has getaway plans  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

amother

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 9:48 pm
Im really frustrated with my boss and the situation at the office. Its a Heimishe office and my boss is not a very organized person and comes into the office on most days at two- three-four oclock and definately doesnt work on a schedule therefore I need to stay late a lot of times.

Since he's unorganized I end up a lot of times coming late taking longer lunch breaks etc and nobody would know. so you can almost say that it can work both ways.
Except when it comes to legal holidays. somehow he alwasy wants to work on legal holidays and somehow always knows his schedule- he wants me to come in and work.
I dont think its fair but since I get a paid salary there isnt much I can do about it. a few months ago I mentioned that I wanna know the office policy about legal holidays cuz I wanted to avoid THIS- he said this office has no policies.

Bosses ARE ALWAYS RIGHT! not that its worth it to risk my job- or relationship with my boss becuz of it. I just feel reaaaaally taken advantage of. When I mentioned taking off on labor day- boss says- it depends if my wife wants to go away otherwise I wanna be in the office and work.
How bout if I have plans?????

anyone had a similar experience?. is there something you can do about it????

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 9:51 pm
my dh works for a frum place. he is off xmas and new years. that's it.

marina

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 9:54 pm
If you get all the frum holidays off, it seems fair.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 10:01 pm
marina wrote:
If you get all the frum holidays off, it seems fair.

Right. I work in a secular workplace, and I get legal holidays off without pay. But I am forever taking off for Jewish holidays, and it doesn't put me in the running for employee of the month. You can't really expect to be given months worth of days off in the year to cover all secular and Jewish holidays. A business has to be run.

If you want to take a day off, do it like you would any other. Give two weeks notice or whatever the policy is there, and enjoy your day.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 10:17 pm
According to other offices- you get legal and yom tovs off and paid for-
am I only one that thinks its not normal?

ElTam

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 10:31 pm
Your poll answers are backward. You ask if you are off on Labor Day, but then the answer is Yes, heimishe office and we work legal holidays. They can't both be true.

Tova

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:

Actually that's not how it works in most heimishe offices I am aware of.

I work in the secular workplace and have 9 legal holidays off with pay but have to use my vacation days for taking off yomim tovim.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 10:39 pm
ElTam wrote:
Your poll answers are backward. You ask if you are off on Labor Day, but then the answer is Yes, heimishe office and we work legal holidays. They can't both be true.

Ooops! lol

skymile

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 12:41 am
I answered yes. I work in a heimishe office and we get off jewish holidays as well as the secular ones. the only reason is because we work with UPS and there is no point in having the office open if UPS is closed. although before/after a long Yom Tov (Pesach/Succos) we sometimes go in on Sundays to catch up.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 1:07 am
If you get off for yom tovim, you can't expect to get off for legal hols, too. There are more Yom tovim than legal hols--thirteen not counting chol hamoed, and we get ten legal hols in my workplace, which is more than many places get. like any other frum person working in a nonjewish workplace, when I take off for YT it comes out of my vacation time.

I understand your frustration with your boss's lack of preplanning. You be the planner, then. If you want to take off on a certain legal holiday, notify him well in advance. in most workplaces standard operating procedure is you have to get advance approval from your boss for any days off except sick leave. You do get vacation pay, I assume, and are allowed to take it when you wish? Or does everyone get vacation sukkos and pesach because the office is closed, and that's it for the year?

But if your boss says we work legal holidays, then we work legal holidays. I

Barbara

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 1:16 am
zaq wrote:
If you get off for yom tovim, you can't expect to get off for legal hols, too. There are more Yom tovim than legal hols--thirteen not counting chol hamoed, and we get ten legal hols in my workplace, which is more than many places get. like any other frum person working in a nonjewish workplace, when I take off for YT it comes out of my vacation time.

I understand your frustration with your boss's lack of preplanning. You be the planner, then. If you want to take off on a certain legal holiday, notify him well in advance. in most workplaces standard operating procedure is you have to get advance approval from your boss for any days off except sick leave. You do get vacation pay, I assume, and are allowed to take it when you wish? Or does everyone get vacation sukkos and pesach because the office is closed, and that's it for the year?

But if your boss says we work legal holidays, then we work legal holidays. I

Right.

Within the next month or so, your office will be closed early, then closed two days for Rosh Hashanah, early for Yom Kippur (which is on Shabbat IIRC), then early close, and closed 2 days each for Succot and Shemini Atzeret/Simchat Torah. That's a lot of days witout work. It makes sense that your employer would want to work on Labor Day, given all of those upcoming holidays.

Take it as a vacation day if you want the day off.

lovemywig

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 1:53 am
I work all legal holidays and my husband doesnt. Thats just the way it is.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 2:43 am
Is paid vacation a requirement?
I can take off - but im never sure if I'll get paid for it. its always a chance.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:44 am
Not necessarily. Depends on the terms of your employment, whether you're considered an employee or a consultant, salaried or hourly and so on. You should hammer it out with your boss ahead of timen whether or not you'll get paid for any particular day off. Not to know in advance is just crazy. Does he pay you for yomtovim?

Check with your state Labor Dept. Division of Labor Standards to find out what an employer is legally required to provide.

ChayaZ09

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:51 am
Reading these posts makes me more and more grateful for the position I have and the fact that I can work Religious Comp Time. I can work extra hours Monday thru Thursday and bank them for Yom Tovim, so that I don't have to use my vacation time. We get the federal holidays, too.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:36 am
I always hated working legal holidays. It's a mindset.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:49 am
Tova wrote:
amother wrote:

Actually that's not how it works in most heimishe offices I am aware of.

I work in the secular workplace and have 9 legal holidays off with pay but have to use my vacation days for taking off yomim tovim.

Ditto. But my office actually allows me to work on secular holidays if I choose to do so, and take a modified holiday schedule. So I'm working Monday, and I'm using the extra day for R"H - in this way, I save some of my vacation days.

I don't know anyone in office work that gets both Jewish and Secular holidays off, paid. It's usually one or the other.

The only job I can think of that gets both off is teachers in Jewish Schools that close on both Jewish and secular holidays.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:55 am
Chayalle wrote:

The only job I can think of that gets both off is teachers in Jewish Schools that close on both Jewish and secular holidays.

And Israel Bonds. Maybe the Israeli Consulate.

suzyq

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:59 am
My DH works for a frum company and gets both legal and Jewish holidays off - BUT the only reason he gets legal holidays off is because his job is to call companies, the vast majority of which are closed on legal holidays, so there's really no point in him even trying to work on legal holidays.

I work for a non-Jewish company and get legal holidays off and use my vacation time for Jewish holidays. When the Jewish holidays are over, I have very little vacation time left. It's frustrating, but worth it because the benefits and pay are much better than they would be in a Jewish company.

busydev

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 11:16 am
I work in a frum office and do not get any legal holidays off.

I do get off all yom tov and chol hamoaid however (which is amazing!) Erev yom tov is like a friday (end between 1:30 and 2:00) except if I have everything good to go before then I am usually able to take off no problem (I do the bookkeeping, so if everything is set up then I can take off and am not docked a vacation day)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics