Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
No Bike Helmets on Kids... grrr!
Previous  1  2  3

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 6:43 pm
I have a few things to say, Amother:

1-I have no clue why you are being obnoxious to me.

2- I repeat that I did not make up my info. You did not read the cosco manual, so you don't know what it says in there. You don't even know if the evenflo one was the same one I used. However, if you want to believe that I made it up, it doesn't bother me, as long as you stop being obnoxious about it

3- If I would make up statistics for some reason, I would want it to be true. There are some cases, though rare, where a seatbelt does make matters worse. So even if I would have made it up, I wouldn't have said that the seatbelt helps 100% of the time. I would have probably estimated it to be more like 1% instead of .01%, but I trust that the manual is more accurate than my uneducated guestimation.

4- You think that when seatbelts cause whiplash but prevent major injury or death, it should be counted as an injury caused by a seatbelt. I would count it as a case where the seatbelt helped.

For example, in my accident, ds had no seatbelt/carseat injuries, just some cuts from the broken glass. I had a bruise on my waist from hanging upside down from the seatbelt. It was 100% a case of where the seatbelts and carseat saved our lives. (The bruise didn't even hurt, it just looked ugly.)

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 6:52 pm
amother, besides being rude and obnoxious, you don't sound very intelligent. Really, is it so difficult for you to fathom that in a tiny minority of cases, a seatbelt can hurt more than it can help? Acknowledging that statistic doesn't make someone less passionate about safety belt use. It just make them informed.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 8:22 pm
MaBelleVie, you are the very first person to call me not very intelligent. The fact this attack against me is your argument that I am wrong shows which one of us lacks intelligence. Does telling me I am not very intelligent count as you being obnoxious?

My CV consists of three graduate degrees (including one with a heavy load of statistical analysis) beyond my BS. I have made Dean's List. I also received scholarships for my education. My IQ is 167, all my grad scores have been perfect. I have been repeatedly published in a technical field. I also have been cited as " one of Americas Foremost" .... Authorities. As to the charge of being obnoxious, you are the second to state this. I have no rebuttal to this.

There is no evidence for your statement. Saying something can hurt is different than saying something may hurt. Can you understand the difference and why it is harmful in discussing a safety issue? The only evidence I found on web supports the facts that while seatbelts cause injury, they prevent more serious injuries. Any other statement is not true and harmful. State your authority other than hearsay. I am willing to listen and learn.

Since the poster who made the statement admits it was a guestimate, my point is made despite the fact she insists it is in the manual. Shouldn't information be true and accurate?

I would be willing to read both manuals to prove neither says what the poster says. The poster could identify both models of carseats.

If I am obnoxious, it is my frustration.

We have detracted from the purposes of this thread which is to promote safety for our children.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 8:32 pm
Where did I admit it was a guestimate? I said if I were to estimate, I would have guessed 1%, but since I had a source which said .01%, I quoted from the source. It seems there are some people with a lot of degrees and not so much in the brain department.

If you are obnoxious, you should learn to control your frustration.

What we have detracted from this thread is that some people, who are hiding behind amother, are not as bright or as nice as they would like to think.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 8:52 pm
I honestly don't care who you are or where you come from. You did not sound intelligent in your posts, so being a rocket scientist would do nothing for me. WBM did not say her number was a guesstimate. She said it was written in the manual.

I did a minute or two of googling and found this:

http://www.allstate.com/safety......aspx

http://www.wral.com/5onyourside/story/131917/

http://www.kansasboosterseat.o.....S.pdf

shanie5

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 9:13 pm
amother, my sister has a friend who survived a car accident because he was not wearing a seatbelt. he got pushed across the seat and out the opposite side door. Had he had a seatbelt on he would have been crushed to death.

So seatbelts can be the cause of death and not wearing one can save a life.

HOWEVER, that is the anomaly that worlds best mom is saying as the .01% where seatbelts do the opposite of saving lives. She is not saying we shouldnt wear seatbelts. She says how seatbelts saved her and her childs life. But there are freak accidents where the seatbelt was more harmful than helpful.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 9:36 pm
My dh knows of people who dont wear a belt because "they would rather be dead than disabled".
He has also heard of people not wearing because "when it is more likely to be deathly there is a stronger protection from Hashem".

Another thing I remembered: some enforce knee protections but not helmet because they say a small fall (where you catch yourself) is much more likely!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:06 pm
You mean they hold by "shomer pesaim Hashem"?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:09 pm
Ruchel wrote:
My dh knows of people who dont wear a belt because "they would rather be dead than disabled".
He has also heard of people not wearing because "when it is more likely to be deathly there is a stronger protection from Hashem".

Another thing I remembered: some enforce knee protections but not helmet because they say a small fall (where you catch yourself) is much more likely!

You can let these people know that their logic is flawed. In case they care.

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 1:27 am
My 2 older boys are required to wear a helmet when they ride their BIcycles. I do not, however, require it on the TRIcycle. For that reason DS#1 almost exclusively uses the tricycle...

(IMO it DOES also matter where they're riding. In the enclosed yard/parking area when there are no cars I wouldn't have an issue with them not wearing a helmet from a safety perspective, however I don't allow them to go without in the parking lot from a chinuch/good habit perspective. Many of the other parents have no problem with no helmets in the parking lot and I don't fault them for it; the lot is gated and the only cars are our own...)

MrsDash

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 1:45 am
According to the Federal Highway Administration, motor vehicle accident related deaths have decreased. In 2007, there were 41,259 fatalities. In 2008, there were 37,261 fatalities. And 2009 had 33,963 fatalities. That's a 9.7% decrease in motor vehicle accident related deaths.

There have been tragedies caused by passengers not wearing seat belts. On impact, their bodies bounced around the car, causing them to smash into the passengers who were properly restrained. Sadly, the unbelted passengers in the vehicle were the primary cause of death for the other belted passengers.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics