Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Great Whole Wheat Challah Recipe
1  2  3  Next

AZmom09

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 8:19 am
Just made this last week. Recipe for me made 4 medium sized challahs, but you can double it.
Got from Allrecipes.com adjusted a bit

4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (optional)- I didnt use it and it came out great without it.
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup warm water
2 eggs

Mix yeast with the warm water and wait till it starts to bubble. In separate bowl mix flour and salt. Then add th yeast mixture and then the rest of the ingredients. Mix till smooth (I think I added more flour since it was too sticky for me. Be sure you don't add too much though, better it be a bit sticky then too dry)
Put into lightly oiled bowl and turn so that whole ball of dough has oil on it. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
Then punch down and braid. Let rise for 30 minutes. Egg wash and bake.
Preheated oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Enjoy! It tasted like regular challah to be honest. Only complaint I got from the husband was that it didnt taste like whole wheat challah!

Strawberry2

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:59 pm
Thanks for sharing.

tzatza

Post Sat, Sep 17 2011, 9:30 pm
Thanks. Made it yesterday.
My quest for great ww challah is officially over.
Excellent texture, lightly sweet taste, pleasant "honeycake" color - the total package.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 10:47 pm
Good to know. I'll try it.

estyk

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 1:19 pm
Thank you! I made this for Shabbos this week and they came out excellent. I made it without the gluten, but I would love to try it with, since I think that would make it even better.

Does anyone know if vital wheat gluten is sold in E'Y, and if so, what is it called?

hycup

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 12:53 pm
Thanks for posting. I made this for Shabbos, using regular oil. I didn't use the gluten. It was really good.

However, I only got one regular challa and one small one out of the 4 cups of flour. I used 100% whole wheat.

tzatza

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 1:04 pm
hycup wrote:
Thanks for posting. I made this for Shabbos, using regular oil. I didn't use the gluten. It was really good.

However, I only got one regular challa and one small one out of the 4 cups of flour. I used 100% whole wheat.

I got 3 small pull-away challohs. I will be making them for RSH to take to my in-laws as a ww option Smile
I hope to get 2 round ones (it will mostly be for me and DH).

AZmom09

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 2:18 pm
Glad you all liked it!
I just tried another ww challah and really loved it! Its a vegan recipe- which means no eggs.
Instead uses ground flaxseed mixed with water as the "egg." You wouldn't guess there was no egg in it, its that good!
I will try to post it soon as a new topic. Give it a try- its awesome!

Della

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 4:14 pm
It sounds so good! Is it possible to increase to a 5 lb. bag if flour? Like multiply by 5 or something? Thanks.

AZmom09

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 5:05 pm
I'm sure it will be great- just need to properly increase the rest...

Della

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 5:43 pm
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly!! Very Happy

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 5:00 am
My son asked me to make him ww rolls to take to cheder every day. Guess we'll give it a try/

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 5:53 am
My son asked me to make him ww rolls to take to cheder every day. Guess we'll give it a try/

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 9:50 am
Is this recipe sweet?

Pashence

Post Fri, Jan 27 2012, 7:13 am
AZmom09 wrote:
Just made this last week. Recipe for me made 4 medium sized challahs, but you can double it.
Got from Allrecipes.com adjusted a bit

4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (optional)- I didnt use it and it came out great without it.
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup warm water
2 eggs

Mix yeast with the warm water and wait till it starts to bubble. In separate bowl mix flour and salt. Then add th yeast mixture and then the rest of the ingredients. Mix till smooth (I think I added more flour since it was too sticky for me. Be sure you don't add too much though, better it be a bit sticky then too dry)
Put into lightly oiled bowl and turn so that whole ball of dough has oil on it. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
Then punch down and braid. Let rise for 30 minutes. Egg wash and bake.
Preheated oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Enjoy! It tasted like regular challah to be honest. Only complaint I got from the husband was that it didnt taste like whole wheat challah!

JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE!! I've been making it for 3 weeks now and think I have perfected it to my liking-- I double the recipe and only use 3 eggs (not 4), bec it was very sticky for me, and instead of honey I use a cup of splenda (for the doubled recipe) to decrease the calories... THANK YOU!!! tons of compliments!!!!!!

tzatza

Post Fri, Jan 27 2012, 8:52 am
I second the compliments. It became my staple recipe for challah rolls. Even DH loves them, which says a lot Smile

wereafamily

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:42 pm
can I use instant dry yeast instead of active dry yeast?

wereafamily

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 4:18 pm
Monsey Mom wrote:
It sounds so good! Is it possible to increase to a 5 lb. bag if flour? Like multiply by 5 or something? Thanks.

Did you try it? did it work?

Pashence

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 2:09 am
1. I'm sure you can multiply it- why not? I double it, so I imagine just quadrupling it to be 5 lbs would be fine, and 2. I use instant yeast and its great Smile

AZmom09

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 5:03 pm
Yay! I'm so glad you all like it!
I plan to make it for this shabbos too. Cant wait.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads