Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Great Whole Wheat Challah Recipe
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Pashence

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 1:18 pm
just wanted to double check that in order to have enough to take challah, (in israel), it needs to just be quadrupled, right?

Isher

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 5:40 pm
Thank you so much AZmom09 for sharing this recipe with us. I made it with 100% whole wheat flour and tweaked it according to other suggestions. As Pashence recommended I doubled the recipe but only added 3 eggs. I also did one cup water and 1 cup seltzer. As for the sweetener, I did 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup splenda.

End results, it was delicious. It might have been a drop too sweet so I will try to cut the honey to 1/4 cup and see how that goes.

THanks again for sharing the recipe and for all those who've added their tweaks thanks as well.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 2:23 pm
Thank you so much - I made these for Shabbos and they were delicious. I needed to add more ww flour than in the recipe, and maybe I could cut down on the honey because they were deliciously (not over) sweet.

I used the instant dried yeast sold in Israel in large packets (Paka I think) and no gluten.

Shuly

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 3:35 pm
Shalhevet, did you make enough for hafrasha? Can you post the measurements?

shalhevet

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 4:22 pm
No, I only made the original recipe, because not everyone here wants ww. I think x4 would probably be enough for hafrasha - I used more flour than the original recipe and I think it's around half a kilo. Even x3 would be hafrasha without a bracha.

Shuly

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 5:40 pm
Thanks! I can't wait to try it!

Happy18

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 9:11 pm
I'm going to try this recipe this week.

yksraya

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 9:48 pm
I also use this recipe. thanx for sharing it.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 1:23 pm
I just made this recipe (I doubled, using 3 eggs and half honey/half stevia). I used white whole wheat flour and I did use the vital wheat gluten. If I'd had seltzer in the house, I would have used that for half of the water; maybe next time.

The dough was quite easy to work with -- I was afraid it would be tough. It wasn't as elastic as the white flour doughs I'm used to, but it shaped nicely.

They look beautiful. I'll report back on the taste after Shabbos.

I notice that the original recipe calls for it to rise for 1 hour, then shape, then rise half an hour more. I've always let my challahs (regular white flour) rise for a full hour after shaping, and that is what I did here. Is there a reason to let rise for less time after shaping? I have no experience at all using whole wheat flour.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 11:20 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I just made this recipe (I doubled, using 3 eggs and half honey/half stevia). I used white whole wheat flour and I did use the vital wheat gluten. If I'd had seltzer in the house, I would have used that for half of the water; maybe next time.

The dough was quite easy to work with -- I was afraid it would be tough. It wasn't as elastic as the white flour doughs I'm used to, but it shaped nicely.

They look beautiful. I'll report back on the taste after Shabbos.

I notice that the original recipe calls for it to rise for 1 hour, then shape, then rise half an hour more. I've always let my challahs (regular white flour) rise for a full hour after shaping, and that is what I did here. Is there a reason to let rise for less time after shaping? I have no experience at all using whole wheat flour.

Reporting back after Shabbos. This challah was great! I've never before tasted a whole wheat challah I cared for, but we really liked this one. It was light, not too dense, no strong whole wheat flavor. It really tasted like white flour challah. I felt it might have been a bit too sweet, and might cut down the honey a little next time. The only thing that bothered me was the brown color! Obviously that's how it will look, but as one only used to white color, the look put me off a little, but once I tasted it it was great! Thanks so much.

willow

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 12:06 pm
shalhevet where did u buy vital wheat gluten?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 12:12 pm
willow wrote:

I'm not shalhevet, and I don't know where you're located, but I bought it in the US in my local OOT kosher grocery store. It is Arrowhead Mills brand which is a nationally available brand.

This is the product: Arrowhead Mills Vital Wheat Gluten

willow

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 1:16 pm
Thank you! I live in Israel and I never saw it here. I am going to ask my mom to find it for me and send it.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 1:48 pm
willow wrote:
Thank you! I live in Israel and I never saw it here. I am going to ask my mom to find it for me and send it.

Why don't you try asking here in the Israel section to see if any of the posters there are familiar with it and can tell you what it's called and where to get it there?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 3:10 pm
willow wrote:

I skipped it - no problem at all - what is it supposed to do, because the challas were delicious, sweet and fluffy without it.

AZmom09

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 1:29 pm
OP here, im in israel too and it really doesnt need the gluten...

bananasplit

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 11:26 pm
This sounds really good. Did anyone who doubled the recipe double the honey too? Was it very sweet?

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 5:58 am
Isher wrote:
Thank you so much AZmom09 for sharing this recipe with us. I made it with 100% whole wheat flour and tweaked it according to other suggestions. As Pashence recommended I doubled the recipe but only added 3 eggs. I also did one cup water and 1 cup seltzer. As for the sweetener, I did 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup splenda.

End results, it was delicious. It might have been a drop too sweet so I will try to cut the honey to 1/4 cup and see how that goes.

THanks again for sharing the recipe and for all those who've added their tweaks thanks as well.

Why the half water and half seltzer?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 8:40 am
bananasplit wrote:
This sounds really good. Did anyone who doubled the recipe double the honey too? Was it very sweet?

I made it with double the honey for double the recipe at first, but it was too sweet IMHO (but delicious). I now make it with 1/2 cup honey for twice the recipe.

bananasplit

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 8:10 pm
shalhevet wrote:
bananasplit wrote:

I made it with double the honey for double the recipe at first, but it was too sweet IMHO (but delicious). I now make it with 1/2 cup honey for twice the recipe.

Thanks im going to try it!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads