Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you watch scary movies?
1  2  Next

bigbird

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 3:34 am
I am such a wimp. I can only watch kids stuff. I am so scared of violence/killing/supernatural or just plain scary.

I can't even watch Harry Potter! (and I want to!!)

supermom

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 4:01 am
I don't watch scary, and action either I only watch comedy, musicals, kids movies, and when my kids watch their movies (uncle moishe, dudu, torah tots things like that). Hey why trash my mind for no reason. Okay comedy and kids movies could but I rarely watch since I don't get movies that often and when someone has something it is always almost ones that I don't like or approve of.

Oh and movies with bad language I can't stand it.
When I hear people talking and they start to curse I automatically lose all respect for them.

bigbird

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 4:05 am
supermom wrote:

Oh and movies with bad language I can't stand it.
When I hear people talking and they start to curse I automatically lose all respect for them.

I'm just the same. Unfortunately my DH uses bad language and it's only gotten worse since he started working with non jews. (He does try hard not to use the language around me though). However, it has desensitised me a bit and whereas in the past I couldn't watch such movies, now I tolerate them. It's not good I know. I wish I would still be as sensitive.

supermom

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 4:19 am
I use to work with non jews and they use to curse a lot but never picked it up thank goodness. Maybe it is engraved in my blood who knows. Very Happy

I had once a friend that she was a real good girl we graduated and she went to school someplace around the world. Anyway I called her up once to talk to her and couldn't believe what was coming out of her mouth. Every other word was another curse word. shock I have not spoke to her since. It has been maybe about four years.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 9:14 am
Since getting married, I've nearly stopped cursing. DH doesn't curse at all - and I guess it's rubbed off on me.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 9:31 am
I was just talking about this over shabbos. I saw a preview for a movie that is coming out SAW III, and I just don't get how anyone can watch that! What pleasure do people get in seeing others get tortured and scared onscreen?

I guess it's like the times of the Romans and Greeks when they used to watch that stuff LIVE at the Colliseum. Or when whole towns used to gather to watch executions.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 9:40 am
I can deal with scary movies like The Ring and It. I would never watch any of the Saw movies, too gruesome.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 10:28 am
Naaaaaah

chen

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 12:49 pm
bigbird wrote:
I am such a wimp. I can only watch kids stuff. I am so scared of violence/killing/supernatural or just plain scary.

and this is a problem because...?

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 1:59 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I can deal with scary movies like The Ring and It. I would never watch any of the Saw movies, too gruesome.

The Ring freaked me out. I still have a hard time sleeping if I let my imagination bring back certain images...

it's weird, but I've gotten a lot more wimpy about this since becoming a mother! I guess I realize that there's so much more at stake now, and seeing horror is too raw for me. Twisted Evil

queenyemk

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 2:14 pm
I still have nightmares about the horror movies I watched before teshuvah.
I can't even handle seeing the pictures avertised on websties, and wathcing movie trailers, I quickly stop them when the are the next in line.
sometimes hubby watches and action movie and I ask him to turn it down when it's getting loud and fighting is going on.
it is desensitization to violence - unfortunately it does happan and we don't want it thrown in our faces. We are not wimpy, I don't want to watch people being hurt - that's not entertainment. People just see it as a thrill and torture themselves by veiwing it. the're testing there limits if they have them. Confused
I tried watching buffy - I loved it as a teen, now it is just ugh!
I good comedy is good - but yeah the language gets to me, I have to catch myself from falling into old bad habits.

but Harry Potter - bring it on anytime .... I WANT BOOK 7 NOW!!!! Bounce

Last edited by queenyemk on Mon, Oct 30 2006, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

MommyEsty

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 2:16 pm
I HATE sceary and horror.. I just dont watch them .my husband knows not to even try!
action and drama arnt to obad but I totaly go for comedy, thats what what moovies are for! making you laugh!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 4:19 pm
I'm also afraid of scary movies, same with horror and action.
Drama, I enjoy s/times, depending on what the film is about. If I see a dramatic movie, most of the time, I cry for every little sad thing.

I love comedy, family, kids.

a few times I've watched dramatic ones but they had a little murder in them, I couldn't sleep, I kept imagining and dreaming that I'm being robbed and killed. brrrrrrrrrrrr.

bigbird

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 12:08 am
chen wrote:
bigbird wrote:

and this is a problem because...?

Who said anything about a problem?? (although did you read the line about Harry Potter? That's a problem! Wink)

Quote:
I've gotten a lot more wimpy about this since becoming a mother! I guess I realize that there's so much more at stake now, and seeing horror is too raw for me.

I agree. I've definitely become more sensitive since my baby was born b'h.
Also, if I'm going to relax with a movie, why would I watch violence or horror? Don't tell me people really relax while watching those things! (although come to think of it - my hubby probably fits that bill!)

carrot

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 7:45 am
I got this from a book:

Women have big verbal / interpersonal parts in their brains. So it is relaxing to watch movies that call those skills into use. (Like romantic comedy.)

Men have big spacial, hunting / tracking parts of their brains. So watching movies with car chases, detective, even violence is relaxing for them because it is using the parts of their brain that is strong.

queenyemk

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 9:56 am
[quote="bigbird]
Who said anything about a problem?? (although did you read the line about Harry Potter? That's a problem! Wink) [/quote]

where you refering to me...
how did you interpret it??
Harry is not voilent...it's pretty innocent. It does refer to horrible things, but I relate to it in the since of good overpowering evil. It's in the fantasy realm. It is something I wouldn't let dd watch till she is a teen though.

Reread - ohh... you mean as in an addiction... yeah I kinda am embarrassed
dh started reading one and stopped cause he said that he would get addicted and he doesn't want 2 of us to have one. He watched the movies though... we have all of them as well as Lord of the Rings...

Speaking of wich LOR is violent... I couldn't watch it until I watched how the making and then when I convinced myself entirally that it is not real could I sit through it... only in the daytime though!!

Piper

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 4:55 pm
I love your trekkie avatar. I miss TNG.
As for movies, I hate graphic "chop em up" movies. I see absolutely no value in watching them. I don't understand how people enjoy that garbage.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 4:58 pm
Spike TV has TNG on every day!
(Not as much DS9 as I would like).

Sofia2

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 4:58 pm
I dont mind action/killing/violence (although I dont enjoy it too much) But I absolutely cannot watch horror. The type that makes you scared to go to the bathroom at night.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 8:20 pm
The only movies I dont like are the real action, where the "heroes" are kicking, boxing, etc. Oh, and stupid comedy? three stooges, etc. I really despise
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics