Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
So worried about my baby! Keeps falling?!

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 11:37 pm
My 10-month-old has always been very well balanced and coordinated for her age. I know people will be telling me this is normal for a baby this age to fall a lot, but I know my baby and she just usually doesn't. Last time I saw this was when she was learning how to stand about four months ago. She's been walking well for a few weeks already, started taking steps a few weeks before that, and hardly ever gets hurt - she plops plenty but catches herself well.

Today she must have fallen HARD at least six times. Like, THUD. SCREAM. and I look and see her flat on her face or on her back. I don't know if she fell from sitting or standing or what, because most of the times I didn't see exactly what happened - either I wasn't looking straight at her or it happened too fast and unexpectedly. Once on her back on the bathroom tile floor. Once on her face on wood floor. Once on her face into the wall ( shock !!! I have never seen her fall into a wall!) Again on her back on the kitchen tile floor. And there were for sure more times, I just don't remember where. The whole day has been one long hazard. She was not just uncoordinated due to tiredness as she had a very unusual 3-hour nap BEFORE taking most of the spills. (she usually naps for 1-1.5 hours). And she had a decent night's sleep too. Now she's conked out early, I imagine exhausted from all the trauma, I hope nothing worse. But sleeping very restlessly, talking in her sleep which she doesn't usually do, moving around...

I'm so worried! First of all, worried that she's done herself serious damage with all these conks to her head. Secondly but even more worrying, what could cause a normally coordinated person to suddenly start flopping all over? I know I'm a little hysterical at the moment after all the screaming today, but I want to run her to a neurologist and it's all I can do to wait until morning and call the pediatrician.

Sad

naomi2

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 11:51 pm
you are the mother and you know best. so unless you are a true worry wart, call the dr when you can if it persists for more than a day or two.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 11:52 pm
an inner ear infection can cause the lack of balance. and the prolonged nap too.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 12:03 am
I am a true worry wart but I know myself and this time I really am worried. So I will definitely be calling the pediatrician in the morning. I didn't start to get really worried until too late to bother today.

I was also thinking maybe an ear thing could cause this, now that you've said it too I will definitely check out that angle!

This is so sad. She's sleeping so restlessly for over an hour already. Sad

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 12:08 am
Oh and she hasn't had any other symptoms. No fever. And, when not falling and injuring herself, happy as a lark. We had a lot of fun playing today between falls. Eating about as well as usual. So it just seems SO weird to me.

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 12:10 am
my daughter kept getting sick this winter. one time the only symptom was that she tripped 3 times, I took her to the dr and sure enough it was a nice big ear infection.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 12:31 am
didn't read your entire post, just the title... I've had this when my son was 14 months old, he was a pretty new walker but was walking independently for a while. one day I realized that he was either falling or bumping into the wall... checked him out for menagitis at pediatrician & B"H he was healthy but we couldn't figure why he was not himself... when I came home I found an empty bottle of adult tylenol on the floor.... that was it... of course he was hospitalized for a couple of days & is B"H fully recovered. Hope this isn't your case, just telling you my story.

mommalah

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 1:36 am
eye issues?

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 2:20 am
Yes. Inner ear infection possible. And you don't need to have a fever or other symptoms. Please check that before subjecting the kid to tests that are more invasive. My sister in law did that and tortured her kid needlessly for MRI, cat scan etc.

Liba

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:15 am
Inner ear issues or too small shoes. Smile My daughter would start falling terribly when ever she needed new shoes as a toddler.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 11:08 am
She doesn't wear shoes yet, I'm the 2nd amother over on the first shoes thread right now Wink

We're heading to the dr right now. And would you believe it, she's finally sleeping. Now I have to bother her and get into the car seat.

Praying for an ear infection because frankly I may be a bit of a hypochondriac but I keep thinking of all those stories of kiddies who started walking funny suddenly and end up dying of brain tumors R"L Sad

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 7:02 pm
So, no ear infection so far but overnight she developed a full-blown runny nose cold so that's our prime suspect at this point. We're to watch out for ear infections if it doesn't improve in a couple of days. However, we're also being sent for an ultrasound because in addition to this we also had ongoing concerns about her head circumference. Going to start a new thread and see if anyone's had that before... I'm pretty nervous but B"H we got an appointment pretty soon so I don't have to just sit around worried for long...

happyone

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 7:20 pm
Honestly, with your other post about the head circumference combined with your concerns and the falls, I would get a CT scan to rule out hydrocephalus or anything else. Not to scare you, but a visit to the neuro would either be calming or answer your questions.

Good luck.

yummy2

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 7:36 pm
momahleah you beat me to it, I was going to ask if any eye issues too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics