Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Shabbos afternoon

Jewishmofm

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 5:46 pm
What games/toys are kid tested and halachically approved for kids between 5 and 9 years old?
we do not have the luxury of eruv or friends near by and have two sons who must be constantly busy. this is not a kvetch - we love shabbos and look forward to it! it is a sincere query.
what do you do on shabbos afternoon with your kids?

cm

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 6:36 pm
I can't guarantee halachic approval, but here goes:

Board games - for the little ones: Maisy, Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Guess Who, Whoonu, Trouble, dominoes, Hedbanz (a 20-questions type game)

For the not-so-little: chess, checkers, Sorry, Othello, backgammon, Which Way USA (from Highlights),
mancala, Blockus, Apples to Apples, Mastermind, Scrabble (regular or Jr) plus all of the above

Card Games - all types for all ages, starting with Go Fish, Uno and Crazy Eights.

Charades, Simon Says, hide-and-seek, Twenty Questions, I Spy, warmer/colder (finding hidden objects)

Blocks, Little People

Read-aloud plays and chapter books

Puppet shows

"A" my name is Alice...

Geography games

We don't do everything in one Shabbat - maybe just one or two items from the list.

Hope this helps!

SingALong

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 8:49 pm
there are tons of building toys like clics, railroad tracks, lincoln logs, tinkertoys, hexabits, straws, knex, etc. that boys would love. also the toys that u create a track for a ball to go through, and the track can be different each time.

I have girls, they love dress up and acting things out I just dump old clothing, accessories, costumes, even a couple of old shaitels in a box and they are so happy with it!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 9:35 pm
Also a ton of independent games -- Rush Hour, Tangoes, Kanoodle, Hoppers, Brick by Brick, Clever Castle, Perplexus...

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 12:48 am
thanks for all the responses! I'm going to have to print these lists off to have on hand for shabbos itself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children