Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Reading On Shabbos

Debbie

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:30 am
Just as a matter of interest do any ladies here read secular magazines or books on Shabbos?

I used to stick to things like Family First but then I realised that some of the articles had nothing to do with Yiddishkeit and so I started to allow myself to read appropriate articles from my secular magazine which is incidentally a good quality magazine.
Is in really necessary to read only Yiddishe publications on Shabbos even if some of the articles are quite secular by nature?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:33 am
I read the Jerusalem Post and whatever novels I have lying around in the house, secular ones. I dont have many Jewish novels at home.

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:39 am
Always! We don't buy the Jewish magizines and don't have a lot of Jewish books (reference stuff, yes, but not light reading). Plus, I find that the quality of the "Jewish" novels is often quite bad.
However, I don't read knitting/sewing/crafting books or magazines, business books, cookbooks, etc. on Shabbat-basically if it's something that's forbidden on Shabbat, I won't read specifics about how to do it (if people are sewing in a novel, that's fine, but I'm not going to read the instructions).

Debbie

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:40 am
I do have a few Jewish novels and to be honest I have found that some of them are rather similar to secular novels except that the main characters have names like Rivki and Chaim and words like Shabbos and chulent may pop up now and again.
I must admit that I would be choosy about which secular publication I read.

Debbie

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:49 am
little_mage wrote:
Always! We don't buy the Jewish magizines and don't have a lot of Jewish books (reference stuff, yes, but not light reading). Plus, I find that the quality of the "Jewish" novels is often quite bad.
However, I don't read knitting/sewing/crafting books or magazines, business books, cookbooks, etc. on Shabbat-basically if it's something that's forbidden on Shabbat, I won't read specifics about how to do it (if people are sewing in a novel, that's fine, but I'm not going to read the instructions).

I wouldn't read those sort of things on Shabbos either-come to think about it I don't read sewing or knitting publications on a weekday.

Marion

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:53 am
I read everything and anything on Shabbat...sometimes especially cake books and cookbooks (NOT the same thing). The kids love looking at the pictures and it's something that I enjoy; I'm not mentally making shopping lists or planning menus, just reading for entertainment.

Debbie

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:57 am
Marion wrote:
I read everything and anything on Shabbat...sometimes especially cake books and cookbooks (NOT the same thing). The kids love looking at the pictures and it's something that I enjoy; I'm not mentally making shopping lists or planning menus, just reading for entertainment.

I do sometimes look at recipes in magazines but it's more for interest than anything else and besides my cakes never look like the ones in the photos-shame I can't have my cakes photo-shopped!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room