Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you bake your chicken in?
1  2  Next

cheerios

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:19 am
what type of baking dish do you use when you bake your chicken? disposable? non - stick? other?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:20 am
Disposable when I can. Otherwise Pyrex or corningware.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:22 am
Foil pans - or if I need to be fancy I'll sometimes use pyrex (b/c I can serve in that).

Last edited by DefyGravity on Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:25 am
Disposable

red sea

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:26 am
a stainless steel lasagna pan with a rack but the foil kept burning onto the chicken so I just got a stainless steel roaster thing that came with a cover, its a bit big so we'll see maybe I just might use wax paper under the foil on the smaller pan at some point

chen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:35 am
a farberware stainless steel roaster. I use the rack that came with it as a cake-and-bread cooling rack.

lubcoralsprings

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:35 am
9/13 pan that is disposable.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:37 am
Lately glass, because my Teflon is getting ruined. If I’m smart, I’ll line it with parchment paper or foil first.

queen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:45 pm
bless the creators of disposable foil pans.

My sister told my mother when I got married not to waste time buying me pans, as disposable are a lot easier to deal with.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JMto2

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:52 pm
Disposable it is the easiest.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:57 pm
Disposable add up - how many do you use on a regular Shabos?

one for chicken, one for kugel. another one if you bake. it cost something!

I never thought about it until I got a dishwasher. I used to spend a week's salary on paper stuff a few times a year.

now, not.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:02 pm
I'm sure I've paid for another set of baking pans several times over by using disposable - but I'm lazy and like having less to clean up.

JMto2

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:03 pm
Yes it does add up but time costs money and to sit and scrub all these things takes a while.

cindy324

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:11 pm
Quote:
Disposable add up - how many do you use on a regular Shabos?

True, but they aren't so costly that I would sacrifice my sanity for it. In your local 99cent store, you can get the 9x13 's 4 for $1. The larger roasters are about 89cents, and the heavier ones are a bit over $1. No , I don't mean the brand name ones that they sell at Pathmark or Shoprite, but the ones they sell at the Kollel store or Friedman's in BP. I don't have a dishwasher, so I have enough dishes to wash after shabbos, I don't need a huge roaster with burnt on grease to scrub , too!

Mishie

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:22 pm
On a regular week (no guests) I use disposable. (I usually need to use only one on those weeks, 'cuz I don't make kugels when it's just us, and I just put potatoes and sweet potatoes under the chicken as a side).

If I happen to run-out of disp. pans, I'll use my pyrex pan.

If we're having lots of guests, I'll get out my HUGE oval roasting pan which has a matching cover. (it's the navy blue with tiny white specs, 'you know the kind??)

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:39 pm
I use disposable when I can't deal with washing up, but lately I've been baking everything in diff. sized pretty pottery bakeware. I bought a few things at TJMaxx and I enjoy them a lot...

theyre also elegant serving pieces, so it saves the platter arranging-I just bring it to the table straight from the oven. same idea as corningware, I guess...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 2:18 pm
You have to actually remember to shop for the disposables. Store them. After you use them, they have to be recycled.

It's not that much easier than glass, unless you count the washing.

chen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 2:26 pm
to say nothing on the effect on the environment. Our landfills are filling up and soon our trash will have nowhere to go. Anyone remember the garbage barge that no one would accept? IIRC it was from NY, but all the disposal sites in NY were full. The barge went from state to state looking for a disposal site and no one would take it.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 2:33 pm
SaraG wrote:
You have to actually remember to shop for the disposables. Store them. After you use them, they have to be recycled.

It's not that much easier than glass, unless you count the washing.

It's no more difficult to buy foil pans than it is to buy dishwashing liquid or any other household item that you need. I have plenty of storage space (I have enough room for canned goods and all the Duncan Hines mixes, so I definitely have enough room for a dozen foil pans).

As for recycling, I don't recycle them. We don't have to recycle foil pans here.

Esther01

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 2:36 pm
the disposable is soooo much simpler, I buy in bulk by costco, store it in draws right under my over, bake my chicken, dump the pan....... simple as a pimple (or is a pimple that simple Wink )
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen