Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Peeling Hardboiled Eggs
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 7:28 pm
that's Crunchy Calcium, ugh

Ozmom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 7:39 pm
seriously though, someone once told me to take egg peels, grind them up to a powder and put them in a drink.
One of my kids likes eating them actually.

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:04 pm
Quote:
she has a weird theory about it which I won't even repeat because I think it's tweet tweet (for the birds) b'mechilas kevoda (begging her pardon)

Motek LOL LOL LOL

Quote:
One of my kids likes eating them actually

Oz your kid likes what shock

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:37 pm
is the child feeling all right?

sounds like a PPP (possible pica problem)

Quote:
People with pica frequently crave and consume nonfood items such as:

dirt
clay
paint chips
plaster
chalk
cornstarch
laundry starch
baking soda
coffee grounds
cigarette ashes
burnt match heads
cigarette butts
feces
ice
glue
hair
buttons
paper
sand
toothpaste
soap
egg shells (my addition Wink )

Although consumption of some items may be harmless, pica is considered to be a serious eating disorder that can sometimes result in serious health problems such as lead poisoning and iron-deficiency anemia.

Ozmom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:51 pm
yah I know what pica is.

B"H my kids don't have it.
maybe I aught to get her calcium checked out though.

actually I think she only likes it coz her "tweet tweet bmechilas kvoda" aunt challenged her to eat it one pesach and everyone made such a big deal that she cottoned on.

Sunshine

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 11:08 pm
I also heard that fresh eggs are harder to peel. Why is that so?

Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 1:44 am
Ozmom, I think I should feel YOUR forehead!!!
but you were right about something - I really had to lie down (not that I could...)

and I do like that tweettweet remark some make about certain relatives..... Very Happy

kutiepie

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 11:03 pm
if I see I have a problem peeling hardboliled eggs, I peel them under running water and the shells come off quite easily as am im peeling the egg. Try it it works.

JEWISHMAMA

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 3:19 am
try adding abit of vinager to the water and that helps with the peeling.

lucky

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 12:13 pm
I Remember I once read

when cooking eggs, always use cold water, put in eggs when water boils, time for 8 minutes. rinse under cold running water. I can't convince my mom though that egg yolks don't have to be greenish when done. a/t else to her is raw eggs.

debz123

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 5:19 pm
Everyone in my family uses my grandmothers method and it works well.

we put the eggs in a covered pot and leave the fire on till there's a rolling boil. then right when the water boils - turn off teh fire and let them sit for about 10 minutes. then spill out the hot water and rinse a couple of times with cold water (need to rinse a couple of times cuz the eggs are so hot that they warm up teh water very fast so you need to keep spilling out the water and shocking eggs with cold water. )

it cooks teh eggs perfectly and works for me everytime!

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 6:24 am
As I am going thru the Kosher Kitchen thread I see this thread and see, wow moteks started a thread with 30 (!) posts about peeling hard boiled eggs?!

Well to answer a few questions:
A) Fresh eggs are harder to peel because the fresher the egg the smaller the 'air pocket' at the base of the egg is. You'll notice sometiems that when you boil your eggs teh base of the peeled egg may be concave - well thats bc there's an air pocket between the albumen (white) and the shell. Older eggs will have a bigger air pocket and therefore are probably easier to peel because there's air between the white and the peel. AND if you wnat to check if your eggs are old or fresh just drop them in a glass of water and if they float they're pretty old!

B) GREEN YOLKS on the outside mean that your egg is overcooked according to gourmet standards.

AHHH Home Economics classes really taught me alot at school!

AND YOU CAN TELL I"M BORED TONIGHT!

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 12:34 pm
any green on the yolk is an over cooked egg.
I put eggs in cold water (eggs should be a week or 2 old) boil, time 7 minutes, run under cold water. peel soon

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 1:59 pm
do you have to boil a certain # of eggs at a time (for kashrus reasons)- I've definitely asked this question before, but can never remember the answer.

ETA: I found the answer myself in this thread:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....83db1

lucky

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 5:07 pm
613 what does ETA stand for??

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 5:32 pm
ETA = edited to add

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 2:39 pm
I've always wondered what to do with a (raw) egg that the yolk burst while or before I had a chance to check or finish checking it. I sometimes turn it over and around with a spoon, but don't know if I've really seen every part of it since the membrane covering the yolk is no longer visible in places. Sometimes I end up just throwing it out, but I don't know if I have to.

Wondering what anyone knows about this.

shanie5

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 5:53 pm
blood in an egg is only treif when it is both the yellow and white. also, eggs sold in america are not fertilized so blood spots are not from "life" we still throw out an egg with a blood spot cuz it is considered ma'us.
u probably do not have to throw the egg out, but ask a rav this one (especially if you do not live in america)

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 3:04 pm
anyone know how long hard-boiled eggs last (in the fridge)?

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 8:38 am
I wouldnt keep for more than a week- but u can tell by the smell if theyre good or not.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen