Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Please help me figure this out
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 8:31 am
I just had my 3rd child 3 weeks ago and after 5 years of a horrible marriage my husband is leaving me. I'm completely freaking out since I'm a stay at home mom and have no skills. Please help me figure out 2 things:

1. What's the best career to go to school for that takes the least amount of time but will make enough to support a single mother with 3 kids comfortably. (If there is such a thing) Is there anything that I can start working in after an associates and then get my BA while working.

2. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it doesn't seem possible for me to get a job that pays enough to cover expenses until I finish school. What in the heck am I supposed to do so that I don't live in a box with 3 kids and no food. (I live in Brooklyn)

I feel like I'm having a panic attack, please help me figure this out!

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 8:41 am
First, mazal tov on your baby!!

I have a friend who was in a similar situation. She got on section eight, got food stamps, medicaid, wic and welfare and went back to school. Five years later she had her nursing degree and a job.

It took time, but by taking advantage of all of the public assistance out there she was able to live pretty well well really bettering her situation. Now she is paying taxes happily B"H.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 8:52 am
Can I apply to all those things before I'm legally divorced because a divorce takes a while to go through. Also, don't you need to show some sort of proof of income? (which I don't have)

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 8:57 am
I think you just have to be legally separated. I don't know how one proves no income, but there are organisations in Brooklyn that help with applications. I assume they would know what you need. Maybe some one here can get you in touch with one of them.

Hatzlacha!

SingALong

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:18 am
I would also vote for a nursing degree. U can work with an associates, as an RN, and then move on to bachelors, and even masters in a specialty. A nurse practitioner is also a great thing to do since u can work more independently, set up your own hours, etc.

Maybe become a para professional for BOE, not much schooling, just paperwork, and then work on an education degree part time? I think a lot of the education courses u can find online programs.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:23 am
There's a place in Boro Park that can help, called Naches Health. 1310 48th st. They do it all- insurance, food stamps etc.

zkalan

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:23 am
I think Yeled vYalda in Boro Park has a department that helps with the paperwork. Good Luck!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:34 am
I know nursing would be the best option but 1. I get very very queasy from these things. 2. I can't work 12 hour night shifts and function as a good mother

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 2:04 pm
why make NOTHING (and depend on handouts) for up to 5 years and THEN make a normal amount?

Why not do something where you can make $20,000 this year and $30,000 next year and $40,000 the year after, so you don't need full assistance and with alimony and child support you can support yourself without government help? Just a thought!

Maybe school isn't what you need, just an entry level position in a field in which you can move up quickly.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 2:12 pm
Entry level jobs don't all have steady increases or good benefits. Or decent vacation time.

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 2:13 pm
TwinsMommy, many people have looks for such positions and not found them. If you know of such jobs, I am sure many of the ladies here would love to hear about them!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 2:54 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
why make NOTHING (and depend on handouts) for up to 5 years and THEN make a normal amount?

Why not do something where you can make $20,000 this year and $30,000 next year and $40,000 the year after, so you don't need full assistance and with alimony and child support you can support yourself without government help? Just a thought!

Maybe school isn't what you need, just an entry level position in a field in which you can move up quickly.

Like what? And what happens if they decide to fire me in 10 years and them I have to start all over again?

ally

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:08 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:

Because an education is a long term investment that has a safer return than 'moving up in a job'. And studying for a degree while being a single mother of 3 kids is more than 2 full time jobs. Honestly, this is what government support is for.

Barbara

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
TwinsMommy wrote:

Like what? And what happens if they decide to fire me in 10 years and them I have to start all over again?

Well, then you're looking for a position with 10 years of experience in your field.

Honest, she was trying to help. In order to go back to school, not only are you going to have to find enough money to support your family -- through spousal and child support, through government programs, and through part time work -- you''re also going to have to find enough money to pay tuition and books, and for child care expenses. Within five years, you will have tuition, and you will need to find a way to pay that.

You need to immediately secure temporary child support, then apply for assistance. Figure out what resources you have, what you need, and then you need a plan for how to get it. Understand that you may need to move to a smaller home, in a less desirable area.

In your position, I would consider attending a local community college on a part-time basis while working at any job that you can find. Talk to a career counselor at the school about future careers.

4ofus

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:15 pm
ally wrote:
TwinsMommy wrote:

Because an education is a long term investment that has a safer return than 'moving up in a job'. And studying for a degree while being a single mother of 3 kids is more than 2 full time jobs. Honestly, this is what government support is for.

Right. Plus, how is she supposed to live on $20,000- $30,000?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:15 pm
my first thought was nursing, but as you said that grosses you out... what about dental hygenist? I believe it's a 6 month course, maybe even associates but definitely not more and I believe the pay starts at around $50,000/yr plus benefits.

again, not sure what your skill set is but life coaching doesn't require formal training, and the courses that are offered don't take all that long (though this may not be the best time in your life to pursue that)

there are also small things you can do while in school/until you find something more permanent that require no/minimal training ie babysitting, sheitels, hair/makeup for weddings

b'hatzlacha!! you sound like you are going through a very tough time and are trying to do the best you can so hugs and kudos to you!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
my first thought was nursing, but as you said that grosses you out... what about dental hygenist? I believe it's a 6 month course, maybe even associates but definitely not more and I believe the pay starts at around $50,000/yr plus benefits.

again, not sure what your skill set is but life coaching doesn't require formal training, and the courses that are offered don't take all that long (though this may not be the best time in your life to pursue that)

there are also small things you can do while in school/until you find something more permanent that require no/minimal training ie babysitting, sheitels, hair/makeup for weddings

b'hatzlacha!! you sound like you are going through a very tough time and are trying to do the best you can so hugs and kudos to you!

OP here

I looked into dental hygienist and an associates program takes 2 years. Where did you see 6 months?

ally

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:35 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:
TwinsMommy wrote:

Well, then you're looking for a position with 10 years of experience in your field.

Honest, she was trying to help. In order to go back to school, not only are you going to have to find enough money to support your family -- through spousal and child support, through government programs, and through part time work -- you''re also going to have to find enough money to pay tuition and books, and for child care expenses. Within five years, you will have tuition, and you will need to find a way to pay that.

You need to immediately secure temporary child support, then apply for assistance. Figure out what resources you have, what you need, and then you need a plan for how to get it. Understand that you may need to move to a smaller home, in a less desirable area.

In your position, I would consider attending a local community college on a part-time basis while working at any job that you can find. Talk to a career counselor at the school about future careers.

I don't think amother is looking to go to an Ivy League college or study a Bachelor of Fine Arts. If she can rig it, some type of qualification is a much surer bet than an entry level job with promise (? assuming you can find that?) of moving up.
I agree that OP needs to figure out what resources she has before applying starting school. But these should include whatever government aid and tuition assistance she is eligible for.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:39 pm
above amother here.

I googled quickly and saw some 1 year certificate programs. I had heard 6 months in the past but don't have much time to look right now. I did find this list of online programs, hopefully it will be of some help

http://www.adha.org/downloads/.....n.pdf

jackiejoel3

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:58 pm
what about a paralegal program? Especially in NY if you are willing to put in the hours at a big firm you can make a nice living.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics