Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pinworms 101

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 1:42 am
I just found out that my ds has pinworms. He was crying in the middle of the night that he was itchy in his backside and it hurt, so I checked and saw worms crawling around. eeeeew.

Now what??

Do I keep him home from school?
I have gan in my house - do I have to cancel that?
I have no idea how to deal with pinworms. I understand that I have to wash all the sheets and pjs, towels, etc. but what else? The toilet? The couches and chairs?
Do I need to inform both his teacher and my students' parents that there are pinworms?
Does everyone get treated?

Any info (asap) would be MUCH appreciated!! I did a search and opened a couple of the pinworm threads but I didn't really get answers to what I needed. THANK YOU!

fiddle

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 2:09 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I just found out that my ds has pinworms. He was crying in the middle of the night that he was itchy in his backside and it hurt, so I checked and saw worms crawling around. eeeeew.

Now what??

Do I keep him home from school?
I have gan in my house - do I have to cancel that?
I have no idea how to deal with pinworms. I understand that I have to wash all the sheets and pjs, towels, etc. but what else? The toilet? The couches and chairs?
Do I need to inform both his teacher and my students' parents that there are pinworms?
Does everyone get treated?

Any info (asap) would be MUCH appreciated!! I did a search and opened a couple of the pinworm threads but I didn't really get answers to what I needed. THANK YOU!

number one, cut his nails.
number two, go to the doc and get a prescription for the family, youll take one dose today and the other in ten days.
number three, stop freaking out, its not lice.
as far as school, I never kept them home. thats usually where they got it from to begin with. how old is he? is he in diapers? if yes then tell the teachers, if not - its not necessary imho. the rest of the kids probably also have it.

rovacat

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 2:53 am
I agree. you really don't have to freak out. it's very common with kids, and very contagious. keep his nails cut short, and give him the medicine. I heard that worms thrive on sugar, so maybe cut that out of his diet for a little bit. I don't think it's the kind of thing you ahve to call everyone to tell them about it.
just calm down, and accept it as a part of life with kids. it's scary looking to see worms on your ds, but they are harmless and probably more normal here than we'd like to think.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 3:10 am
If you can't get to the dr. or don't want to give the medicine try smearing a thick layer of alovera jell or Vaseline on the area a few nights before he goes to sleep. it works great for us.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 3:18 am
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Ok, so I am trying not to freak out - I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed b/c I have no clue about pinworms. What do I have to do though to prevent it? I mean, we'll all take the meds, but do I really have to wash EVERYTHING in hot water (as per cdc.gov)? I cut and scrubbed all my kids nails today. What about linens for myself and dh? Or anything that little tushies may have touched? Ds is not in a diaper anymore, other 2 dcs are, so I guess the main one to worry about is ds and what he may have touched, right? Do I have to worry about things that he touched with his hands, since eggs usually can be on the fingers? Like no sharing food? Also, should I mention to the gan parents (my gan) that someone in the gan had pinworms, so they should cut their kids nails?

I'm sorry for asking a million questions, I just honestly want to know everything on dealing with it. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics