Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO - dietetic salad dressings

Jewish Mother2

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 2:43 am
does anyone have any good fat-free or virtually fat-free salad dressings that taste good?!

esther2

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 3:33 am
this is simple, light and yummy- cut up lettuce tomato, cucumber, pepper... and pour over it a little lemon juice, salt and pepper (can even add a little olive oil)

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 4:19 am
What do you mean by dietetic? I assume no fat, but do you also mean no sugar?

http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

I'm pretty sure you can just sub the oil with water in this recipe. But yea, it has sugar.

Jewish Mother2

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 4:50 am
thanks but needs to be no oil and no sugar - but not tasteless!

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:02 am
Jewish Mother2 wrote:
Are there any sweeteners you will use?

Jewish Mother2

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:11 am
Seraph wrote:
Jewish Mother2 wrote:

Sweeteners are not a problem.

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:20 am
Jewish Mother2 wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Jewish Mother2 wrote:

Sweeteners are not a problem.
Uh, sugar is a sweetener. Honey is a sweetener. Splenda is a sweetener.

Whatever sweetener you will use, you can put in that french dressing.

You can mix soy sauce, vinegar, scallions, and ginger to make a dressing.

You can make a ketchup like sauce with tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, garlic powder and salt.

Jewish Mother2

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:26 am
Seraph wrote:

maybe it's the different way of understanding the words - for me sugar is sugar and sweetener is artificial sweetener - sorry if I misled you

thanks for the suggestions

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:34 am
Jewish Mother2 wrote:
Seraph wrote:

maybe it's the different way of understanding the words - for me sugar is sugar and sweetener is artificial sweetener - sorry if I misled you

Sweetener means something that makes it sweet. I dont use white sugar but will use apple juice concentrate or honey or maple syrup or molasses, but won't use splenda or anything artificial. Will you use any of the above, or just chemical sweeteners?

Jewish Mother2

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:40 am
Seraph wrote:
Jewish Mother2 wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Sweetener means something that makes it sweet. I dont use white sugar but will use apple juice concentrate or honey or maple syrup or molasses, but won't use splenda or anything artificial. Will you use any of the above, or just chemical sweeteners?

I'm on a strict diet and all of these are unfortunately not allowed so the only thing I can think of to sweeten anything is artificial sweetener. I'm also not particularly happy to use it (I normally use silan) but for want of something to sweeten dressings that's what I think is available. Of course I'm happy to use a dressing that isn't necessarily sweet but then it has to be without oil.

It's so much easier to be fat and happy!

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:50 am
Jewish Mother2 wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Jewish Mother2 wrote:
Seraph wrote:

I'm on a strict diet and all of these are unfortunately not allowed so the only thing I can think of to sweeten anything is artificial sweetener. I'm also not particularly happy to use it (I normally use silan) but for want of something to sweeten dressings that's what I think is available. Of course I'm happy to use a dressing that isn't necessarily sweet but then it has to be without oil.

It's so much easier to be fat and happy!
Not trying to give diet advice, but some fats actually boost your metabolism and make you feel fuller, making you less likely to stuff yourself and eat too many calories, and therefore help you lose weight. Artificial sweeteners actually slow down your metabolism, making you gain weight or at least not lose as many.

Because everyone's definition of dietetic is different, can you share what you will and won't eat, so that we can work with what you can?

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:53 am
You can make a mayonnaise with tofu, something like this-
http://www.food.com/recipe/tof.....e-754

Use an artificial sweetener instead of the sugar or leave out entirely, and sub the water with oil. Then you can use this mayonnaise as a base for lots of different salad dressings that would usually have fat in it. You can make a mayo and mustard dressing, you can mix with the homemade ketchup I described above to get russian dressing, to name two.

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:55 am
Fat free vegan has lots of recipe ideas, here's their condiment tab which might give you good dressing ideas.

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/c.....ents/

Jewish Mother2

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:56 am
The program I'm following allows me to use only spray oil (it doesn't work in salad dressings - I've tried it) and no sugar, only artificial sweetener.

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 6:08 am
Jewish Mother2 wrote:
The program I'm following allows me to use only spray oil (it doesn't work in salad dressings - I've tried it) and no sugar, only artificial sweetener.
Are you allowed avocado? Eggs? Any fruit? Nuts? All vegetables?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics