Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
ISO parsha desserts/foods to make with kids
1  2  3  Next

morahmommy1

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 7:44 pm
This past Friday my son asked if we could make a taiva cake for shabbos. We went ahead with it and had to improvise as we went along using whatever ingredients we had at home. The kids were so involved, making different colored icing and deciding what to use for each floor of the cake. The kids loved it and as a former preschool teacher and now stay at home mom, I would like to make something special (and not too complicated) to eat for the parsha each week with my kids. Of course it would be great if it wasn't only cake, candy or cookies but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of star cookies for Lech Lecha but my kids would like something more interesting. Now that I finally have the time to indulge them I would like to do so if possible. Any ideas for the coming weeks would be greatly appreciated.

willow

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 6:12 am
I absolutely love Love this idea. I hope the thread takes off with a lot of creative (and not so hard ideas):Smile)
I am going to watch.
Um I am a bit embarrassed but tell me this weeks Parsha and I will think of something too.

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 8:23 am
This week's parsha is Lech Lecha Wink
I love this idea too! My baby is still to young for this, but I would love to do it in the future....

gumby

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:14 am
How about making an edible Yaakov's ladder from celery if you want to be healthy or from sour belts or licorice. You can mount it on a Styrofoam bloack and it can be a centerpiece for your shabbos table.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:25 am
when I was a kid, my sisters and I literally started writing our own Parsha cookbook... the project never got too far, but now I'm thinking it might do well as a weekly blog, instead of worrying about publishing costs...

We tried to stay away from contrived "make rice crispies treats shaped like a tzedaka box!"-type recipes, and went into midrashim to try to find interesting ideas. Some more obvious, some less so.

Vayera - bread with butter or tongue with mustard sauce (what Avraham served malachim)
Toldos - lentil soup

etc.

Gotta dig it up, I'll let you know if I find it! We really worked hard on it for a 7th, 5th, 4th and 1st graders...

8mom

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:15 am
Google parsha cakes. She has some really fun stuff that she has done with her kids.

Liba

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:20 am
We made marble cake for parshas Noach, but you have to have the right accent for it to work. Wink

Vayera you can make challahs in ladder shapes and rolls in the shape of stars.

willow

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:32 am
I like the celery stick ladder idea maybe I will do it with challah

Basimcha

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:41 am
What a wonderful idea. Will follow this thread...I will put on my thinking cap and try to come up with ideas!

elmos

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 1:16 pm
for lechlecha you can decorate a cake like a tent make different opennings you can do stars. my 4yo dd says a dr bag cause avraham had a bris

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 1:27 pm
For a school project, I once made blue jello and congealed it (with jelly fish inside) in a foil pan. Right before the science fair (yup - that's what it was for!) I sprinkled yellow sugar on half of the jello to look like sand. I stuck in those toothpick umbrellas and bought little gumballs that looked like beach balls. For the theme of "as many children as the stars and sand", you can add little star candies at the very top.

shoemaker

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 6:19 pm
star shape cookies.

happy mom1

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 6:47 pm
elmos wrote:
for lechlecha you can decorate a cake like a tent make different opennings you can do stars. my 4yo dd says a dr bag cause avraham had a bris

Isn't that parshas vayeira?

Kumphort

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 8:28 pm
Last week, I made a rainbow cake,
this week, I plan on doing something with cinnamon, prob. cookies, maybe if I can find, star shaped cookies covered in cinn.&sugar, so they look like the sand and the stars.

peppermint

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 9:06 pm
Mishpacha junior has a parsha recipe every week! You can look there for some cute ideas Smile

Mommy F.

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:56 pm
Try:
http://www.challahcrumbs.com/

besides for arts and crafts on the parsha they often have desserts for the parsha too.

morahmommy1

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 9:22 pm
Thanks for the great feedback! My kids wanted to do a "stars and sand" theme so we baked a cake and frosted the top two thirds with chocolate frosting to which the kids placed large colorful sour stars (chewy candies). The bottom third we used white frosting and sprinkled brown sugar on top..which believe it or not makes very realistic looking sand..so all in all, simple, not a tremendous fuss and the kids were active participants. Time saving tip: last week I made a double batch of chocolate frosting and a single of white. We used the chocolate to cover the entire taiva and colored a small portion of the white blue for the water on bottom. I stored these in containers in the refrigerator and about an hour before using, took them out to get them back to room temperature and they spread easily and looked like fresh frosting (and as the kids can attest to, still tasted yummy!)
on to next week..thought of a tent cake too ..not exactly sure how I would do that yet but would love to do something other than a cake.
keep the ideas coming!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 9:29 pm
I luv these ideas!!!!
keep them coming!
I like the stars n sand cookie ideas!

Amital

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 10:12 pm
We are trying to do this, too. Most weeks we do something special and hands-on for the parsha.

My kids and I did this 7 layer cookie for Parshat Noach (and Parshat Vayeshev for Joseph's coat last year). Very yummy!

We also do a red lentil soup for Toldot (I will be posting and putting up the recipe around then).

I just wrote a post with a few good resources, including the parsha cakes site someone mentioned. I will keep an eye on this here and add more as I see them!

Amital

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 4:39 pm
Vayera: We're doing rock candy (pillar of salt and science!) and a kid's lunch/tea this week. I already postedabout it because the rock candy can take about a week to finish.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics