Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
ISO parsha desserts/foods to make with kids
Previous  1  2  3  Next

morahmommy1

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 9:23 am
how do you make rock candy?

Amital

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 10:59 am
You make rock candy by making a saturated sugar/water solution and then let the water evaporate, leaving the crystals behind on the string or skewer. We started ours on Sunday hoping that it will be ready by next Shabbat.

I googled recipes, and found one here. Stay tuned for pictures - we'll see how it goes!

morahmommy1

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 4:07 pm
sounds cool but a bit complicated..I'd like to try it but I think I'll need a back up in case it doesn't work. Thanks!

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 2:39 pm
The Voice of Lakewood has a really great column where she does a cale or dessert for each parsha or yom tov. Really cool. you can get them on line, but then you have to go through the whole weekly magazine to get to that column. (It's somewhere towards the back).

hadasa

Post Fri, Nov 11 2011, 3:45 am
This thread has inspired me! I don't have tongue, but I'm making meat in mustard sauce today. Any ideas for next week? I'd prefer food, not desserts.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 11 2011, 1:06 pm
Any easy dessert ideas for this week? DH came up with sprinkle cookies because of the sulfur sprinkled on Sdom... eh.

Must be dessert, my meal is already all set and this is how we've been deciding what to have lately!

Shopmiami49

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 2:32 pm
seeker wrote:
Any easy dessert ideas for this week? DH came up with sprinkle cookies because of the sulfur sprinkled on Sdom... eh.

Must be dessert, my meal is already all set and this is how we've been deciding what to have lately!

I know it;s too late now, but maybe save in your recipe box for next year:

You can make gingerbread ladies and sprinkle regular sugar on them to represent Eishes Lot who turned into salt.

morahmommy1

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 8:45 pm
We made a tent (Bundt) cake with malachim and tree..came out really cute. For next week I'm planning on challah but with a twist- perhaps tri colored. I was thinking either whole wheat, white and some type of pumpernickel but have no idea of any recipes for the latter. Orr we could be unhealthy and use food coloring and dye balls of dough different colors or just use colorful sugar sprinkled on top. Feedback would be great if you have any ideas. Thanks!

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 9:23 pm
So, a little belatedly, I came up with the idea of apple turnovers for "turning over' Sdom. Another good idea was angel food cake. Will have to keep this in mind for next year. Shabbos came in so early I barely had enough time for anything Tongue Out

Next week...?

Amital

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 10:58 pm
For this upcoming week (Chayei Sarah), I'm thinking we're doing a wedding cake for Yitzhak and Rivka. My older kids want to do something with the cave, too, but I'm not sure what. Is anyone else here yet?

R123

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 11:03 am
Hi! All these ideas are great! I've been doing Parsha themed desserts with my kids for the past 4-5 years. It started out with me having the idea and executing it, while they helped a little...it has now morphed into my oldest (9 years old k'ah) taking full ownership...she comes up with the idea and then leads the way to decorating. She loves it. It is a great creative outlet for her. We are a homeschooling family and making parsha cakes has really allowed me to 'check up' on how much of the Parsha the kids remember as well as for me to reiterate key points in a very laid back environment. It has been a big hit in our house. They are alway so excited and proud to serve the dessert to company!

We generally make chocolate cake and chocolate icing. If we are depiciting a story...we'll keep the cake whole (9x13) and add the details. If we are depicting a thing, we cut the cake to that shape.

For example, for Lech Lecha, we've done Avraham and Sarah traveling on a camel. I used clip art to print a picture of a camel, cut it out, laid it on top of the cake, and trimmed the cake around it, then iced in the details. We covered the camels in crushed grahm cracker ...it came out great. We've done Avraham's tent for Vayera. We've done me'arat hamachpeila (double cave) for Chayei Sarah.

Usually, before we begine for the year, I make a huge batch of buttercream frosting, then tint it different colors, I put each color in a piping bag with a different tip. these go in and out of the freezer each week. it saves a lot of time each week to already have these ready. The colors help add the details.

Another good idea is cupcakes...ice different parts of the Parsha on each one. For Yaakov and Eisav, we made cupcakes, iced half with Torahs and half with a bow and arrow.

Other ideas...for Parshas Vayetzei,...I usually do the ladder ..with rugelach. I make my rugelach jelly roll style, so I have two long pcs for the side and then cut the rungs. For the coat of many colors...colored twizzlers are great...cut the cake into the shape of a coat...ice it and then have the kids add the 'stripes of color'. Red hots work well for lentils too if you want to do a pot of lentil soup. We've done a "well" shapped cake a few times...two rounds cakes, stacked. Ice the outside and add brick details with a toothpick...ice the top blue...pretzel rods hold up a grahm cracker roof...

The sky is truly the limit ...keeping lots of different candies etc helps with the details too Smile

I can add more as specific parshiot come....I wish I knew how to add pics...I take one every week!

Enjoy the time together in the kitchen with your kids...its a lot of fun...and my kids already have great memories from it!!

Amital

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 1:08 pm
R123, sounds really interesting!

Do you eat the whole cake? I tend to have leftovers, and they end up just going to waste. We're 6, but even with guests, we don't eat that much!

R123

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 1:16 pm
Amital wrote:

Do you eat the whole cake? I tend to have leftovers, and they end up just going to waste. We're 6, but even with guests, we don't eat that much!

We do tend to have leftovers, especially if we don't have guests. What I do is: freeze the leftovers each week and then around Chanuka time, I'll defrost all the leftover cake, put it into the mixer with some chocolate buttercream frosting, mix it up until its a smoothish consistency, form balls out of the mixture, freeze them, then dip them into melted chocolate......very rich and decadent but amazing! then, I serve those or give them to people as gifts....great way to use up left over cake...no waste!!

Amital

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:45 pm
R123 wrote:
Amital wrote:

We do tend to have leftovers, especially if we don't have guests. What I do is: freeze the leftovers each week and then around Chanuka time, I'll defrost all the leftover cake, put it into the mixer with some chocolate buttercream frosting, mix it up until its a smoothish consistency, form balls out of the mixture, freeze them, then dip them into melted chocolate......very rich and decadent but amazing! then, I serve those or give them to people as gifts....great way to use up left over cake...no waste!!

That's a great idea. It's a play on a cake pop. We do that sometimes on purpose--bake a whole cake and break it up, mix with frosting, dip and decorate, and make cake balls from it.

Since I use different flavors of cake most times (we like variety!), I'd have to have a couple of flavor bags, but that's a great way to use it up!

R123

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:54 pm
Amital wrote:
R123 wrote:
Amital wrote:

That's a great idea. It's a play on a cake pop. We do that sometimes on purpose--bake a whole cake and break it up, mix with frosting, dip and decorate, and make cake balls from it.

Since I use different flavors of cake most times (we like variety!), I'd have to have a couple of flavor bags, but that's a great way to use it up!

Yes, its a play on the cake pops - I saw a blog about them once and got this idea. It really works great. And, I bet you could mix chocolate and vanilla cake together.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 5:01 pm
My daughter's morah is doing this on Fridays with the whole class. So far this is what they've done (I know it won't help for this year but for those people who want ideas for next year...)
Noach: Taiva cake- Mabul cake (I grew up in new England so the accent works for me), licorice string to divide the floors, popcorn/ garbage on the bottom floor, animal crackers in the middle, winkies with smiley stickers on the top.
Lech Lecha: each child had 2 graham crackers 1 covered with star sprinkles (I think they're sold as flowers but they work as stars, 1 covered in brown sugar/ sand.
Vayera: a mizbayach built out of wafer/ bricks, a fruit roll up flame, and an ayil made from marshmallows and toothpicks (Large mm body mini mm head legs from tp)

I think she uses corn syrup as glue for all of them.

If people are interested I will BL"N post more of them as they come home.

morahmommy1

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 7:07 pm
Great ideas R123-thanks!
We made challah with colorful candy covered chocolate chips for this shabbos. Next week I plan on red lentil soup and the kids suggested eisav and yaakov cookies, maybe we'll do the cupcake idea that was posted here.. Any really good lentil soup recipes?

Amital

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 5:30 pm
And Lech Lecha is rolling around again. I have each parsha on my blog now, but am always looking for more ideas. I think we're doing non-food this week. Anyone else?

exhausted

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 8:08 am
Amital, What is your blog? I would love to look at it and get some ideas!!

Amital

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 8:18 am
I'm at Organized Jewish Home - the www below my posts leads there. It's a labor of love. Smile

I think for Lech lecha we're going to do something with stars, but we haven't worked it all out yet.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics