Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Credit Union? In Brooklyn?

Teacup9

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 1:39 am
I know there are credit unions in Brooklyn, but I was wondering if anyone living in Brooklyn on this site uses one for personal banking? It doesn't matter to me where it's headquarters are so much as it has a nice website, partner ATMs with no fees, and most of all that there is some way to easily make deposits and withdraw cash without fees or direct deposit. Anyone? Why does it feel like one must be a member of a church or the navy to be eligible for a good credit union?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 8:49 pm
Because credit unions are set up that way. If no one is your family was active military, you aren't eligib le.

Teacup9

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 11:37 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Because credit unions are set up that way. If no one is your family was active military, you aren't eligib le.

I think I am still asking a fair question though. Affinity in New Jersey has a number of ways to become eligible for membership including paying $5 (a one time fee). I think Nassau FICU requires only a savings account or working/volunteering/living/member of organization in Nassau. However their methods of deposit wouldn't work for us so perhaps another FICU exits that would. If there are so many church ones why aren't there Jewish ones? If it is an interest issue can't the same exceptions that have been to banks be applied to credit unions? I think the david horodoker one is Jewish, but they aren't online and appear to just serve the Westbury LI branch.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 7:24 am
I don't know. I'm not in the banking business.

I AM a member of Navy Federal's Cred union and love it, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics