Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where to live?

Frum

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 11:58 am
We are looking into possibilities to make aliyah. We are European, BT background, we live a chareidi life style but we both have an academic background and want our children to get a broader education than just kodesh and we would want to associate with openminded people.

What kind of place would fit our background? Since we dont have family in Israel, we would prefer living in a community that is like family, so not the anonymity of the big city (so either a village/moshav/kibbutz or a neighbourhood where people are close). Preferably something affordable.

Any ideas?

momaleh

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 12:14 pm
RBS sounds right. Lots of French, lots of BTs, lots of chareidi, but many with academic and professional backgrounds, lots of school choices from secular to BY, some chareidi-style that have secular studies. Very open-minded (at least certain parts) and close-knit community, e.g.., everyone helps you in time of need. Not so affordable, but better than the bigger cities.

Frum

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 3:50 am
Thank you momaleh! Any other suggestions?

rachelle613

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 4:09 am
Have you looked into communities in the north?

Last edited by rachelle613 on Mon, Oct 12 2015, 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 4:35 pm
I have another idea but it depends on how old your kids are. (if you have) if they are already elementary age, RBS is definitely the best option. If they are younger, you can look at more israeli communities with small supportive anglo enclaves. if you don't mind sharing their ages, I can tell you what we are looking at.

Frum

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 3:28 am
Thank you all so much for thinking along with me! Our children are 2,5 and 8 months, so still tiny :-) What kind of smaller communities do you think would be suitable?

For the ones suggesting RBS, what is the difference between RBS aleph and beth? And what about givat sharet, is that part of RBS?

Marion

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 4:29 am
Ma'ale Adumim...at least, Mitzpe Nevo...

supermama2

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 4:37 am
Marion wrote:

Yeah but I don't thik Ma'ale Adumim is Charedi or if there are they have to send kids out to school right? I think RBS A is nice if you like but I've heard more than one person tell me that sometimes the kids there do not learn real or much Hebrew...I can't say this for fact, only what I have heard. I didn't move to RBS B/C I felt like I was in the middle of no where. Hatzlacha! It would be a good idea to do a pilot trip w/ Tehillah IMHO.

sped

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 6:41 am
What about Moshav Mattyahu? I don't know much about it, but form what I have heard, it may be a good fit.

momaleh

Post Mon, Aug 22 2011, 1:23 pm
RBS A is charedi/mimxed, RBS B is chassidish.
GIvat SHaret is not chareidi.

Frum

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 9:42 am
Thanks again! I am looking into it some more.

Someone mentioned Tehilla, is that for US residents only?

Liba

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 10:04 am
How about Har Nof?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 2:38 am
Frum wrote:
Thanks again! I am looking into it some more.

Someone mentioned Tehilla, is that for US residents only?
I dont think that tehilla is for US citizens only, but the weird thing is that I kept on trying to find their web site and nothing comes up. Maybe they do not exist anymore.

momaleh

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 4:25 am
SarahO. wrote:
Marion wrote:

Yeah but I don't thik Ma'ale Adumim is Charedi or if there are they have to send kids out to school right? I think RBS A is nice if you like but I've heard more than one person tell me that sometimes the kids there do not learn real or much Hebrew...I can't say this for fact, only what I have heard. I didn't move to RBS B/C I felt like I was in the middle of no where. Hatzlacha! It would be a good idea to do a pilot trip w/ Tehillah IMHO.

Probably depends on the school you send to. My girls are in BY and are speaking beautifully, perhaps in the more american schools it's a problem, although to be honest, I don't know any kids who dont speak hebrew here - although some do take longer than others. Gan safa is very popular.

FraidelR

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 10:12 pm
Hi,

We're in exactly the same boat. European, BT background, Yeshivish, looking for an Anglo speaking, friendly, open minded community that's also affordable. Our kids are in elementary school, so we're concerned about school options as well. Please keep me posted on your findings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions