Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Persistent diaper rash

goodmorning

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 11:08 pm
My 11 month old daughter has had a diaper rash on and off since Sukkos. Her doctor prescribed antifungal and hydrocortisone creams (said that it looked like a cross between a yeast infection and a normal irritation). Within three days of finishing the treatment regiment, the rash reappeared. She's been through another course of both creams, but it still hasn't cleared up this time. Incidentally, we happened to have switched diaper brands in the middle since we finished one package and started a next, and it seemed to make no difference. I can't think of any major changes to her diet, and she's not on antibiotics.

The rash is very red with some small dots and some areas that look like open wounds. It looks painful and I think that it may be keeping her up at night (or a factor in that, anyway).

Any ideas? The doctor's office is closed tomorrow and I would really love to get this cleared up sooner.

de_goldy

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 11:17 pm
try the more natural diapers.

use cornstarch instead of creams for a couple of days.

let her go around with a diaper as much as possible.

bigprincess

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 11:21 pm
My baby had a diaper rash on and off and I realized it's from the wipes I used. I switched to a different brand and he's fine.

Maybe the cream your putting is triggering it.

Smiling Wife

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 11:43 pm
Betadine... In France ( where believe it or not the medical system is much more advanced) it is the new thing for diaper rash, I tried it and worked wonders for my 6 mo old.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 12:01 am
If she has a yeast infection, try wiping her bottom with grapefruit seed extract diluted in boiled (then cooled) water.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 12:35 am
maybe there is a bacterial element to the rash- which is common in infected rashes- and you need an antibiotic cream, such as Bactroban. you may need to continue with the anti-fungal cream (Nystatin or Vusion) at the same time, as the rash may be both bacterial and fungal. I'm not sure why you would need hydrocortisone cream, but it probably cant hurt.

paprika

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:20 am
Vusion is a magic cream.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 4:38 am
I'll bet money that there's something in her diet that is upsetting her gut, making her stools irritating, and then coming in contact with her skin.

Is she drinking orange juice or eating a lot of acidic fruit? Is she having really messy, loose stools? If so, take the fruit out of her diet, it may be too much for her system to handle it. Put some probiotics in her food. You can open up the capsules and sprinkle it into her apple sauce or some pudding.

Until you get her digestion sorted out, you're going to keep treating the symptoms, but not the cause. (BT, DT!)

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 4:44 am
I TOTALLY do not mean to scare you, and I am sure this is a minority, but I feel responsible to point this out just the same: I have a friend whose son, also around the same age, had a diaper rash that did not go away. It turned out to be a type of cancer and there were no other noticeable symptoms. Please take your child to the doctor jsut to be sure!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 5:36 am
Also not trying to scare you, but get the rash cultured for staph and MRSA, just to rule it out.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 10:19 am
Thanks for the replies!

I've tried two different brands of diapers and two of wipes, and nothing changed. This started on Sukkos, when we weren't using wipes at all (just cleaning with water), and no change between Chol HaMoed (wipes) and Shemini Atzeres through Shabbos (just water).
Her diet is not especially acidic, nor are her stools particularly loose.
I'm trying not to panic at all the "could be"s but the doctor's seen her twice and doesn't seem particularly concerned.
I give her some time without a diaper at every change - maybe I'll increase the duration. I don't want to use cornstarch because the doctor thinks that it may be a yeast infection and yeast feeds on cornstarch, no?

I'll see about trying the recommended creams, etc.
Thanks again!

NaturalMom

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 12:14 pm
Don't use cornstarch on yeast. I ordered tapioca starch online and it works the same, but nothing for the yeast to feed on.

This sounds like my DS's rash. I cut dairy out of my diet completely and the rash (and the eczema on his face) disappeared.

Let her crawl around diaperless. When you do put on a diaper, dry her COMPLETELY (we used a hair dryer every time we changed DS's diaper). Apply powder, than a cream, then the diaper.

Give her probiotics. Order a high quality one online for babies, in a powder form, and give it to her 2-3 times a day. You can't really overdose on that stuff. Keep giving it to her even after the rash disappears.

You can also use the probiotic powder directly on her diaper area. It works like any other powder, but has all that good bacteria to kill the yeast. It's very expensive, though...

Refuah shleimah!

markmywords

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 12:26 pm
definately no diaper, as much as possible. Her bottom needs to dry out, and the moisture might be keeping the wounds from healing. We used to let them sleep diaperless at night also (towel under the body and changing it at night periodically. If the rash isn't significantly better within a few days, it's probably something more than just a rash, IMHO. I'd also stay away from baby wipes. Use tissues and plain water or if the wounds are very raw, wash her bottom over the bathroom sink (put a towel on the rim of the sink so she can "sit" while you rinse with warm water. It will be soothing. Then dry gently by patting (no rubbing, or you might "tear" the wounds.
If you haven't seen a pediatric dermatologist, you might want to. They can diagnose more accurately. Vusion is GREAT, but it's prescription, so either way, you'd have to see a doctor.
Refuah Sheleimah!

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 1:54 pm
I had the same problem with dd. Her rash went away when I started putting on Lotrimin (make sure it's clotrimazole) at every second diaper change, and bacitracin at the other ones. Then, at EVERY diaper change, I would also put tons of A&D cream (the white zinc oxide cream, not the smelly yellow ointment) on top of the other cream. It worked wonders.

ElTam

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:15 pm
Are you nursing? My kids never got thrush (yeast infection) in their mouths. They got it in the diaper.

So, if you are nursing and not being treated for yeast infection, you could be passing it back to your baby.

I would see if your doctor will treat you for yeast also and go on acidopholous as well to help prevent recurrence.

Refuah sheleima!

momigor

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:30 pm
frequent soaking in a bath or rinsing in the sink!!!!!!! Also, when completely dry, apply a thin shmear of the anti-fungal / cortisone cream, desitin on the diaper, and more frequent diaper changes.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 6:56 pm
My friend switched to cloth diapers, after her child had a horrible rash for months that did not take to any medication.

su7kids

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 7:25 pm
If you're nursing, cut out bread/yeasty foods and see if it makes a difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics