Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Protein Pancakes!

AZmom09

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 8:16 am
I just found this recipe and it is delicious!! I ended up spreading the batter thinly in the pan and it made yumm crepes. I then put a little bit of natural peanut butter on and rolled it like a crepe. No joke- this is the best!!! I plan on making a lot and putting in my fridge for the week. try it!!

Protein Pancakes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cottage cheese (or greek yogurt) - low %
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup egg whites
1 tsp of maple extract (or vanilla extract)
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 packets of stevia/truvia
Non stick spray

Directions:
1. Place all ingredients in blender
2. Spray your pan with non stick spray and turn your stove top to medium-high or medium-low
3. Cook your pancakes as you normally would (flipping over once the top bubbles up
4. Dress your pancakes with whatever you want!

Serving size: ONE serving - makes about 4-5 small pancakes

You can get creative with this recipe, add 1/2 cup of blueberries to the mix OR add some peach slices, apple slices and cinnamon perhaps? The sky really is the limit!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 8:40 am
Oh ... it doesn't use any protein powder ?

AZmom09

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 8:44 am
No. You can definitely add if you'd like. But it uses all egg whites which is protein!

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 10:46 am
My impression is that the egg yolk is the most nutrition filled part of the egg.
I would never make anything with only egg whites.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 5:29 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
My impression is that the egg yolk is the most nutrition filled part of the egg.
The whole egg is probably most nutrition filled.
The yolk is mostly the fat and calories.
The white is mostly protein.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 11:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

According to the USRDA tables an egg white contains 3.64 grams of protein and an egg yolk contains 2.63 grams.

Egg yolks also contain over 80% of the overall vitamins and minerals that can be found within the egg as a whole.

I'll take the fat and calories in my eggs, thank you.

AZmom09

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 4:27 pm
Not going to debate about this, but the white is full of protein and you are supposed to have a protein part of each meal/snack. The yolk has fat and cholesterol. there are other places to get other good fats, doesn't need to be an egg yolk. Its for sure fine to use full eggs in recipes, but if you are trying to make it low fat and don't want to have whole eggs often, this is the way to do it.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 10:48 pm
ChossidMom wrote:

I'm with you. I like my yolks. Eat them nearly every day and still have low cholesterol.

But she's just posting a recipe. If you don't like it, don't make it. I don't get what the point of this declaration is when someone is just sharing a recipe?

greeneyes

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 11:07 pm
I added this to my recipe box and look forward to trying it. Thanks for sharing.

(For those that like to use whole eggs, I bet you could make this using whole eggs in place of the egg whites.)

Bliss

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 11:15 pm
I should write down this recipe, I wonder how it tastes.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 11:37 pm
How many eggs (or egg whites) are in half a cup? 1 whole egg/2 egg whites?

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 11:42 pm
From my understanding, latest research indicates that when eaten together egg yolks and egg whites work together for the healthiest balance.
http://www.cholesterol-and-hea......html

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 2:30 am
amother wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

I'm with you. I like my yolks. Eat them nearly every day and still have low cholesterol.

But she's just posting a recipe. If you don't like it, don't make it. I don't get what the point of this declaration is when someone is just sharing a recipe?

Sorry. I always go nuts when I see recipes with egg whites. I think it's a travesty not to eat yolks. I apologize! I'll start my own eggs thread...

crackers

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 2:52 am
do you think kids would like it ?
should I add some sort of sweetener like honey or date syrup for the kidies or is it o.k. without?

merelyme

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:01 am
stevia is a sweetener, used in this recipe.

AZmom09

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:39 am
You can use honey instead of stevia/truvia if you dont want to use that for your kids.
Or even maple syrup!

As the the amount of eggs. I think its about 4 whites from 4 whole eggs= 1/2 cup egg whites
and bye the way you can substitute the egg whites and use two whole eggs instead.

It is very filling and you dont feel guilty after eating it!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 5:13 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

According to the USRDA tables an egg white contains 3.64 grams of protein and an egg yolk contains 2.63 grams.

Egg yolks also contain over 80% of the overall vitamins and minerals that can be found within the egg as a whole.

I'll take the fat and calories in my eggs, thank you.
I like using the whole egg too. Hashem packaged it together for a reason Smile

My dd's nutritionist told me that the white contains most of the protein, so I shouldn't worry that dd was only eating the whites (back then.)

greeneyes

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 10:17 am
Thanks a lot for this recipe! I just made these for myself for breakfast and really enjoyed them. Very filling, satisfying breakfast. I ate them with sugar free syrup, I know not the healthiest embarrassed , but it was good!

AZmom09

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 12:39 pm
I know this is a super old post but I am trying to perfect protein pancakes for my blog and came back to this recipe. They are really good. My kids just gobbled them up- and they are very picky. great recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking