Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Spinoff of bug thread
1  2  Next

Do you check leafy greens and broccoli/cauliflower for bugs?
I wash well with soap and water.  
 11%  [ 12 ]
I only buy pre-checked (Bodek/Gush Katif).  
 55%  [ 59 ]
I wash according to my Rav/Kashrut organization's instructions.  
 32%  [ 35 ]
Check for what?  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 107

imab

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:24 pm
This is inspired by the bug thread. I'm just curious what the reality is.

Last edited by imab on Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:25 pm
3, which often includes or is 1. lol

imabima

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:27 pm
3, which can sometimes be 1 or 2.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:31 pm
I wash with water but not soap. Never checked. My mother doesnt and my grandmother doesnt. I dont either.

Tzippora

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:34 pm
Wash with water, if I see a bug, I *gasp* rinse it off. Done and done. The rest of this is mishegas.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:35 pm
Actually I should have picked three. I do what my Rav says, usually though for greens and broccoli, cauliflower I do bodek/gk. Actually for broccoli cauliflower that is all I would do. Greens I check if I can't get bodek/GK

Britmummy

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:36 pm
I guess #1 is closest - I wash in salt water. I generally use a big handful of kosher salt for one bowl of water, leave to soak for 15 minutes, check for bugs then rinse and cook.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:38 pm
I wash all my fruits and vegetables with soap and water. I'm a little mysophobic though...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:39 pm
Is there more to "checking" other than to wash your lettuce and then looking at each piece of lettuce seperately and making sure there are no bugs on it???

unexpected

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:45 pm
We once washed maror according to the rav's instructions to use soap and water. I rinsed and rinsed, and the maror still tasted soapy. Maybe that was the point?
For lettuce, we wash and check. I find bugs in more loosely packed lettuce. If it is packed tightly, I will check until I come closer to the core. If there are no bugs until then then I will just chop the rest.
I was taught to use bodek for broccoli.
Cabbage, I just check the outer layers.
My understanding from school 15 yrs ago before checking your own lettuce was against halacha:
You need to check vegetables that are known to have bugs, and each vegetable has a different way of checking. You dont have to go crazy.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:46 pm
I have to check each and every piece of lettuce because it's infested with bugs, ick, ick, ick!! I first let it soak with soap because I heard the bugs slide off easier. I don't buy cauliflower because I did once and it was also infested with bugs. I only use the stalks of broccoli and give the rest to my cleaning lady.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:50 pm
Voted for 3, but that includes 2 if I want to use it.

imab

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:50 pm
In the first choice I meant wash with soap and water and do NOT look at individual leaves.

In order to check lettuce I was taught to wash with soap and water- or a vegetable cleaner, or salt and look at individual leaves.

I intentionally wrote leafy greens, and broccoli/cauliflower. Vegetables that are known to have infestation problems.

This wasn't meant to be a question about cucumbers!

ora_43

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:53 pm
Leafy greens - soak in salt water (to kill any live bugs so they'll come off with washing), then wash and check thoroughly. IME most do have bugs if not pre-checked or specially grown, so we usually get katif stuff when it's available (and then just rinse and check).

Broccoli and cauliflower - barely eat, would only do bodek. Too hard to check, again just IME.

BH that most of the readily available vegetables here (cucumber, tomato, pepper, carrot) are easy to deal with bug-wise.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 3:03 pm
3, I was wash with water but things like broccoli you take 3 pieces off n boil if not bugs the rest is good.

amother

3, I was wash with water but things like broccoli you take 3 pieces off n boil if not bugs the rest is good.

amother

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 4:25 pm
Dh says vinegar is much better for taste. He says also with practice you dont lose much time on it. Look at how quickly a restaurant shomer goes!

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 4:29 pm
It's so worthwhile IMO to check, and be able to have fresh produce!

Of course, there is a difference between what you can get in the US and what you can get in EY. Here in the US, IME, most of the produce is clean.

I follow OU directions for checking broccoli (knock gently against sides of pot of boiling water for 10-14 seconds and hold water up to light to check for bugs).

Cauliflower and lettuce, I just try to look at carefully and rinse or wash thoroughly.

Strawberries, soak in soapy water then rinse thoroughly while checking.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 4:49 pm
I chose 1. but it deends what... lettuce I just rinse and glance over, cabbage I soak 3 mins in salt water n rinse and other stuff like leaves (spinach etc) and broccoli I buy frozen/pre checked.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics