Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Spices a la the kashruth shiur

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 08 2006, 6:49 pm
So, the rabbi was saying that kids should be trained and people should be careful not to put their ketchup and mustard bottles right up to their milchig and fleishig foods.

I asked, what about spices over a soup pot and such? I had a friend at Machon chana who said, in her own kitchen, she was going to have separate spices.

He said to things:

First, like condiments, not to make them either milchig or fleishig.
2ndly, that you shouldn't have separate spices for milchigs and fleishigs b/c if they sit around too long, they can get buggy.

I said I might not recognize what's happening, and he proceed to get graphic with us as to what you might find in a spice.

Also, that spices shouldn't be allowed to get too hot or too cold. That you shoudl buy whatever you could use, the smalles size, and then use it up in a month.

Suffice to say, you'd see it. Disgusting!!!!!

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Nov 09 2006, 12:47 am
I was taught not to shake a spice used for both over a steaming hot milchig/fleishig food...to pour into the hand and dump that over the pot bc the steam can make the spice milchig/fleishig.

Secondly, certain spices (esp red ones like paprika, cayenne pepper) can be put in the refridgerator to prevent bug growth, but it's always a good idea to look before you shake!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Nov 09 2006, 1:16 am
we have separate bottles of ketchup and mayonnaisse for milchig and fleishig, and mark them accordingly..

separate sugar holders for milchig and fleishig. separate salt shakers, which it speaks about in KSA.

So why not separate spices? I do have separate spices for milchig, fleishig and ones that I keep parve for baking. I indicate that on the label with a permanent marker, which I keep handy just for this. I find that when I'm cooking fleishigs especially, my hands are usually greasy. I cleaned the chicken, placed it in the pan, and now reach for the spices... Of course you could wash and dry your hands in between, but sometimes you don't.

and I often shake my spices directly over a steaming pot, and that is also why I have the separate spices.

I keep my 'fleishig' spices in the cabinet above my fleishig counter and stove, so I will never accidentally reach for it when I'm cooking milchigs on the other side of the kitchen. Same for my milchig set. It's kept directly above the milchig counter and cooktop. The 'baking' spices are with the baking ingredients, on a different shelf.

as far as bugs go, it's a good point, that they should be checked, but that can be done regardless. I go through some of them quite quickly, but even if not, spices are not that expensive to replace when necessary. .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen