Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My babysitter has herpes
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 7:14 pm
what should I do? how do I find out if my children caught it from her? should I take her back?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 7:17 pm
I sincerely hope your children did not have the opportunity to catch genital herpes from their babysitter.

As for oral herpes, 90% of the population has it.

Barbara

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
what should I do? how do I find out if my children caught it from her? should I take her back?

Do you mean that she has a cold sore?

Or that she has HSV-2, which is spread by s-xual conduct. If your kids catch that from her, call the police. Pronto.

I'm not sure why she shared this information with you, or why you should care about it.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 7:37 pm
she has oral herpes, but it sounds a lot worse than a cold sore. she has fever and is in terrible pain. she cant eat anything.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
she has oral herpes, but it sounds a lot worse than a cold sore. she has fever and is in terrible pain. she cant eat anything.

So she's sick. No reason not to take her back once she's better.

Of course a person is more likely to get a cold sore when they're sick overall.

Raizle

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 8:07 pm
Ladies, don't laugh off oral herpes. I know someone who caught it from her husband but she got a particularly nasty version of it. When it flares up she is in horrible pain. One of her kids caught the same version.

That said, when she doesn't have a cold sore there is no problem and when she does then so long as she doesn't kiss your kids or share food with them there shouldn't be a problem either.

The question is, is she trustworthy enough to be carefull and watch out for those things?
Also, if you have any infants it can be dangerous for them.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 8:39 pm
No one is laughing it off. The point is, oral herpes is more likely to flare up when your immune system is compromised, such as when you're sick. And, oral herpes doesn't constitute a public health menace. It's a pretty run-of-the-mill condition. Don't kiss anyone when you have a cold sore. That's about it.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 10:35 pm
I would get a new babysitter. Why take chances? Sorry for your babysitter.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 1:05 am
Good luck finding someone who DOESN'T have herpes! If the babysitter is otherwise excellent, and knows not to kiss the kids when she has an open sore, then there's nothing to worry about. If she's sick, give her the days off. If it was my kid, I'd have her back, no problem.

Make sure you tell her to take lots of L-Lysine supplements, like one every two hours for the first few days. It will make her feel so much better. You can crush a tablet, mix it into a paste with a little water, and put it on the sore to make it heal faster. It tastes horrible, but if it's on the outside edge of her mouth she'll be fine.

I find that I get really bad cold sores whenever it's flu season, and it's about that time of year. I always keep a bottle of Lysine around, and it works wonders.

auntie_em

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 6:36 am
Your babysitter has a cold sore! I guess it makes for a more titillating thread if you say herpes. Rolling Eyes

If I was the babysitter, and I found out you were going around telling people I had herpes, I would quit!

overthehill

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 7:11 am
For people that have herpes the first time, it can manifest itself in a very ugly way. The first time, they may have fever, fatigue and be very sick. Subsequent outbreaks are usually just limited to a cold sore.

And OP, I have no idea what you are hysterical about, as I developed herpes a s a child, in my mouth, and was very sick with fever and the works, for 10 days.

These days, as an adult, every time I get too stressed, it comes out on my lips as an ugly blister.

Herpes is a virus. And like every other virus, you do what you can do to limit exposure.
The woman does not have the Bubonic Plague, for G-d sakes.
Calm down!!

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 7:26 am
one of my close friends has oral herpes. she got it from her mother and she passed it to one of her kids. when shes run down, she get a painful blister. big whoop. id leave her with my kids. shes an adult and knows to be careful.

o, it was passed to her and to her kid through pregnancy, not through contact.

DovDov

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 10:01 am
I think the statistic is 80% not 90%, but either way it's the majority of the population.

If you trust her to use proper hygiene, she should not be transmitting anything to your kids. Though it could come up a bunch of ways -- she could blow up a balloon and your kid could try copy her right after; she could tear something open with her teeth -- it's not like only gross sloppy babysitters could potentially transmit the virus...

ElTam

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 11:49 am
If you like her and trust her, I would keep her.

Plenty of people with cold sores (herpes virus) shed virus even when they aren't symptomatic (no visible sore), so there is no guarantee that you wouldn't get a new babysitter who wouldn't have a cold sore, wouldn't know to be careful, and could infect your kids.

In the meantime, you lost someone who, unless you didn't mention something, is a good caretaker for your kids, reliable, etc.

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 11:53 am
amother wrote:

Right. This is fairly typical of a primary herpes infection (I still remember when I had it when I was about 5, it was *that* painful). However, after she is well, she is just the same as the 90%+ of us who have had an HSV infection.

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 11:55 am
DovDov wrote:
I think the statistic is 80% not 90%, but either way it's the majority of the population

98% of adults. Here.

To the OP - Good luck finding a sitter who doesn't carry it.

Raizle

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 3:19 pm
I don't agree with the "big whoops" attitude and I don't care for the statistics.

It makes no sense to me that one should say oh most people have it so it's ok if my kids get it too.

I'm not saying fire the babysitter but I'm also not saying ignore it. she should take whatever measures she can to protect her kids from getting it.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 3:26 pm
Raizle wrote:
I don't agree with the "big whoops" attitude and I don't care for the statistics.

It makes no sense to me that one should say oh most people have it so it's ok if my kids get it too.

I'm not saying fire the babysitter but I'm also not saying ignore it. she should take whatever measures she can to protect her kids from getting it.

What measures? What would you do if your husband, for instance, had a cold sore? Well, you wouldn't kiss him or share cups or utensils with him. That's it.

There ARE no measures, that's what everyone is trying to explain.

Raizle

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 3:37 pm
sequoia wrote:
Raizle wrote:

What measures? What would you do if your husband, for instance, had a cold sore? Well, you wouldn't kiss him or share cups or utensils with him. That's it.

right
but others are writing here as if it's nothing, and I disagree.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 4:21 pm
Raizle wrote:
sequoia wrote:
Raizle wrote:

right
but others are writing here as if it's nothing, and I disagree.

As someone who gets a cold sore every few years, I can tell you -- it's nothing. It's the biggest nothing ever.

And whatever the content of your disagreement, in practice it would be insane to fire the babysitter. As another poster said, good luck finding someone who doesn't have the virus.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics