Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My babysitter has herpes
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:00 pm
My DH thinks cold sores are the worst thing ever -- it's a virus that lasts forever, so he's freaked out about one day catching it (but seeing as I don't have it, I don't know how he would). I think he would have no trouble firing a babysitter for having it. He is seriously that freaked out about it.

Anyway, the problem with oral herpes is that someone may be shedding virus without knowing it, and also oral can turn into genital herpes if there is contact between the two areas while shedding virus -- that's important knowledge for later in life when someone is zexually active.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:06 pm
I would also be nervous about my children catching herpes. I wouldn't fire the babysitter, but I'd try and find a nice way to tell her not to kiss my children. I have a friend that gets cold sores quite frequently, and she's often in a lot of pain. I wouldn't want my children to deal with that if they can avoid it.

Catching cold sores is not something I'd be so cavalier about.

Raizle

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:09 pm
sequoia wrote:

As someone who gets a cold sore every few years, I can tell you -- it's nothing. It's the biggest nothing ever.

I tried saying this a few times already. For you it's nothing, for some others it's nothing but then for others yet it's NOT nothing.

I have someone close to me who suffers immensely when she gets a sore, now one of her kids has it and she's really upset.
What they get is a much more severe version of the virus and yes they caught it off someone who had the regular no big deal type.
It really does affect her life so please don't keep saying it's nothing just because it's nothing for you.
She doesn't just get it once every few years either. She gets it often when she is sick or run down and is not someone you want to be around when it happens because she is in so much pain.

so again, for many people it's no big deal but for many others it IS a big deal.
Especially for that woman in the news a couple of years ago that passed it on to her newborn infant who died of the virus.

so please stop saying it's no big deal just because it isn't for you.

Quote:
And whatever the content of your disagreement, in practice it would be insane to fire the babysitter. As another poster said, good luck finding someone who doesn't have the virus.

I agree and I said this myself, not to fire her.

Defygravity wrote:
I would also be nervous about my children catching herpes. I wouldn't fire the babysitter, but I'd try and find a nice way to tell her not to kiss my children. I have a friend that gets cold sores quite frequently, and she's often in a lot of pain. I wouldn't want my children to deal with that if they can avoid it.

sequoia take note.

Last edited by Raizle on Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:10 pm
DefyGravity wrote:

If I were an old and reliable babysitter of children I loved, and their mother told me never to kiss them, ever, because she knows I get a cold sore every two or three years, I would be incredibly offended.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:14 pm
So say it's because you're a germaphobe and don't like people kissing your children. Don't say anything about the cold sore.

People have a right to keep their children from catching something that can cause them pain.

Raizle

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:15 pm
sequoia wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

If I were an old and reliable babysitter of children I loved, and their mother told me never to kiss them, ever, because she knows I get a cold sore every two or three years, I would be incredibly offended.

well then too bad, don't babysit my (if it were I) kids if you can't hold yourself back.
Your feelings are secondary to my children's physical well being and right to not suffer

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:17 pm
Raizle wrote:
sequoia wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

well then too bad, don't babysit my (if it were I) kids if you can't hold yourself back.
Your feelings are secondary to my children's physical well being and right to not suffer

No one wants children to suffer.

But we should use our reason, not just emotions. "Herpes" is a loaded word. You don't keep your children at home all flu season, even though people die from the flu.

chanahlady

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:22 pm
Most people don't die of the flu -- and 100 percent of the people who get the flu don't carry the virus for life, like the herpes virus. Many children who get cold sores get them from relatives or adult friends who insist on kissing them on the lips, and poof, the kid has a virus that can, at times, be pretty painful, for life. I would be pissed if my kid caught cold sores from someone that way.

Raizle

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:23 pm
sequoia wrote:
Raizle wrote:
sequoia wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

No one wants children to suffer.

But we should use our reason, not just emotions. "Herpes" is a loaded word. You don't keep your children at home all flu season, even though people die from the flu.

did you read my previous post by the way? just before your reply to defy gravity?
you don't seem to be reading what I'm writing.
I agree about being reasonable and using seichel
I'm only disagreeing with the flippant attitude to the virus making out like it's nothing which it clearly isn't for some people

Raizle

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 8:31 pm
and in answer to your example of flu season. I would not keep my kids home but at the same time If the babysitter had the flu I wouldn't want her to come while she had it.

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 10:57 pm
Raizle wrote:
sequoia wrote:
Raizle wrote:
I don't agree with the "big whoops" attitude and I don't care for the statistics.

It makes no sense to me that one should say oh most people have it so it's ok if my kids get it too.

I'm not saying fire the babysitter but I'm also not saying ignore it. she should take whatever measures she can to protect her kids from getting it.

What measures? What would you do if your husband, for instance, had a cold sore? Well, you wouldn't kiss him or share cups or utensils with him. That's it.

There ARE no measures, that's what everyone is trying to explain.

right
but others are writing here as if it's nothing, and I disagree.

No, no one is saying that. She should stay home while she is currently sick (which she is doing) and there is no reasons she shouldn't return to work afterwards.

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 11:00 pm
The OP said the babysitter is staying home now. The lunacy is in thinking they shouldn't take her back after she is better. When she is better, she will be exactly the same as 98% of all other adults who have had a previous HSV 1 infection.

chanahlady

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 8:59 am
Virus can be shed, even when there are no symptoms.

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 9:02 am
Correct. By any of the 98% of adults around you.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 12:37 pm
Viruses mutate. Not all strains are equal.

Knowingly exposing your children to a particularly virulent from of a virus from a babysitter is not the same as accepting this risk from a spouse.

Why would you want your children to be subject to this if there are no precautions to be taken effectively.

I would rather be greatly inconvenienced.

If this virus is so universal, the only explanation I can figure out why we all don't periodically experience these blisters is fidgety different strains much like flu.

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 2:28 pm
Amother - please, get some medical information before you start talking out of your hat. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Raizle

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 5:56 pm
chavamom wrote:
Correct. By any of the 98% of adults around you.

statistics, shmatistics
I don't know too many people who get cold sores. Maybe they don't tell me about it but it's not often that I see it around their mouths, or that I hear people say anything about it. I hardly knew what it was until the person I mentioned earlier told me they have it in their family.

and in reply to what you wrote earlier, it's not true, posters WERE referring to it as if it's 'nothing'

chavamom wrote:
Amother - please, get some medical information before you start talking out of your hat. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't know about what amother was saying but what I do know is what I wrote a few times on this thread about someone close to me who caught it from someone with the regular type but came out with a version that was way nastier.

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 5:59 pm
Don't bother you with facts and reality, your mind is made up then?

Raizle

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 6:03 pm
chavamom wrote:
Don't bother you with facts and reality, your mind is made up then?

I bother with the facts and reality of my own life.
like I said, hardly anyone I know has it.

again, I'm not saying it's a reason to fire the babysitter.
I'm just saying the fact that it's so prevalent doesn't mean we not should take measures not to expose our kids to it.
I'm also saying it's not as "nothing" as sequoia and others have written.
how do I know that? because I've seen the pain the few that I know (in the one family) go through when they get it. And I've also seen the frequency, which is far from once every few years like sequoia says she gets it. more like a few times a year.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics