Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Wiping hands and nose on clothes....aaarrggh

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 5:31 am
My 3.5 yr. old is constantly wiping his nose on his sleeve, his pants, back of his hand, whatever is in reach. When he remembers, he'll go and get a tissue, but even if I show him how to keep one in his pocket, he doesn't always remember or care to remember. Same with dirty hands while eating - constant wipingo n his pants. I know this is normal, but I just have no clue how to help the situation. Reminders and nagging are not working, so what's next? Oh, and this is my child that since he was spoonfed would freak out if there was a tiny bit of food at the corner of his mouth. As a small toddler, he walked around with a wipe and wiping invisible dust off his hands and pants. What happened?

5*Mom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 6:56 am
This is totally, totally normal for a few more years yet. You're right, nagging will not work. When you see he needs a tissue or napkin reach for one and say, "would you like a tissue/napkin for that?" This too shall pass.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 8:37 am
Thanks, 5*Mom. I know that it is normal, but isn't there any way to help him? The skin under his nose is getting so raw and chapped because he keeps wiping it with his sleeve instead of using a tissue and blowing it...

5*Mom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 8:55 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Thanks, 5*Mom. I know that it is normal, but isn't there any way to help him? The skin under his nose is getting so raw and chapped because he keeps wiping it with his sleeve instead of using a tissue and blowing it...

The skin under his nose is raw probably b/c his nose is runny, and would probably still be raw even if he used a tissue. Mine is and I haven't used my sleeve in a while Wink

If he complains that it hurts him you could point out that a tissue is softer than a sleeve, but the honest truth is that at his age, he's hardly even aware of what he's doing; it's more like a reflex when he feels that drip to just swipe at it with whatever is handy. The cognitive process of consciously identifying the sensation of a runny nose, retrieving the appropriate solution (tissue), stopping whatever consuming endeavor he is involved in to go get the tissue, all while inhibiting the urge to just wipe it away is quite complex if you think about it. I haven't seen many 3.5 yr olds who can consistently do this. Hang in there; he'll get it eventually. Until then you could try putting on some lotion at night before bed.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 9:00 am
Better than eating it. Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers