Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Finding out the blood group

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 1:22 am
I have a blood group card since I'm a small kid. My parents and I all have the same blood group, but my husband has another, so we do not know what our dd is except the rhesus. We haven't found out because BH she hasn't needed a blood test yet and we didn't want to do it just for finding out.

WDYT, would it be safer for her to have a card? It entails two tests at two different moments, it's no pleasant thing.

Rodent

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 1:33 am
They normally won't give blood type specific transfusions unless they have done a current cross-match anyway, they'd give O- until then so I don't think it would make it safer unless procedures are different there. I wouldn't be doing it unless the test was being done for something else anyway.

2 of mine were tested at birth due to jaundice and something that can be the cause with blood type but we were never told what the blood types are.

My husband and I have the same blood group (A+) but we could have an O gene (likely for me, not known for him) so there is no guarantee that our kids will be A+ too.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 1:36 am
I heard from a doc that if you get a transfusion from the wrong blood, even though compatible (like universal donor), you can develop antibodies which as a woman is a problem with following pregnancies. Which is why I'm wondering about doing it for Mati in case c'v she needs she gets the right blood... I'm very conflicted on this.

Rodent

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 2:02 am
Testing now won't help in an emergency. And the antibodies that I think you're referring to require more specifics than blood type. My cousin required blood transfusions due to surgical bleeding many years ago. It was blood matched but she has certain antibodies from them that meant her baby in utero could become anaemic and need blood transfusions through the umbilical cord while still inside her and had to be born early. I really don't think that testing now will help. She will be tested when she's pregnant anyway, I really think that you'd be better off waiting but if you want to put her through it then discuss it with your dr.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 2:12 am
Testing here tells you everything. In my childhood it was only group and rhesus, not anymore.
You're right I will ask the doc what is the normal thing here to do...

lilacdreams

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 3:01 am
I don't think blood tests are so hard - find a nurse who is good at doing children - I have one kid who has had quite a few blood tests and she never flinches because the nurse barely even hurts her. Its over in a matter of seconds and youc an hold Mati on your lap, while maybe you or your dh distracts her with a picture book or whatever. Or maybe I don't understand why you don't want to do it. My dd has been doing tests since she was younger than yours because she is so small - but she is fine with it. Bribery also goes a long way! Tell her afterwards you will buy her a present or icecream, whatever.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 7:08 pm
In my place you do not choose who does the blood test, it's the first free nurse or doc at the lab you choose.

I don't mind medical procedures when needed, at all. I just want to know if this is a good idea before I get her in pain.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics