Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Growth Hormones for 12 yr old DS: Yes or No???
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:27 am
I am only 5'2" and DH is 5'7". We are short, but not remarkably so. Therefore, I did not worry about my kids being the shortest in their class. Then at a well visit half a year ago, I saw that our 12 year old DS is in the 5% for height.

The pediatrician did a "height calculator" based on my and DH's height and DS's current height- and his predicted height is only 5'3"! That is SHORT for a guy!

So we did the hand x-ray and bloodwork, and the next step is to go to a pediatric endocrinologist for growth hormones. DS is not yet in puberty.

But, then I just read Ami Living's article last week about kids who died years after being given hormones. Okay, that was in the 70's, but the article scared me so much! I only know one woman who gives her kid growth hormones IRL, and I can't ask her for advice for whatever reason.

Anyone have any advice? I did some googling, but obviously, as with every medical google query, I find information on both ends of the spectrum!

Please tell me what you know!! TIA.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:37 am
How does your son feel about it? If it isn't causing a major problem, I don't see why it should be a discussion. DH is 5'3" and he is doing just fine. If your son is beginning to have social difficulties, it might be something to consider, but its not like he'll be a midget or something like that. He can lead a happy and fulfilling life even if he is shorter than average, especially if you don't see it as a problem.

shnipsel

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:38 am
I dont know much but I do remember that when my brother was considering it for my nephew my mom told him htat hashem created everyone the way their meant to be. growth hormones can cause a person to grow so tall that its so unnatural for that person. my parents would never consider it.
just mho! Hatzlacha on wtvr u decide!!

shoeboxgirly

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:42 am
My dh's chevrusa is very short, has a very tall wife and children who are too young to gauge whether they're too short or not. He will always look young for his age, which appears to be a blessing.

I hadn't really considered myself the 'natural parenting' sort, but to me it just seems wrong at that age, especially pre-puberty, to mess around with hormones. He has his teenage years coming up and hormones are about to crazy without any extra ones. Your son is 12, so probably old enough to be asked how he feels (without making him get some kind of complex). He might think it is a good idea.

Just if someone had said to me when I was 12, do you want to be taller (I did stop growing at 11) I would have still said no, but I'm not male.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:42 am
Growth hormones have been in use for many years. With the right endocrinologist, and several opinions, I have a hard time believing deaths occured because of the growth hormones.
I have not yet read the article, but it sounds quite fishy to me.
There are times when the risks outweigh the benefits, and vice versa.
Careful thought needs to be given in each individual situation.
From personal experience, no harm was done as far as I know.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:47 am
Ami is sensationalist. Growth hormones today are considered to be safe and effective. I would do it for my child if it was indicated.

But you are jumping the gun. First take him to a pediatric endocrinolgist and see if growth hormones are indicated.

My DD is one of the shortest in her grade of about 200 . She is at 3% on the chart and is often mistaken for her 10-year-old sister's twin (she's 13). We took her to a group in Columbia (because they are women and came highly recommended - I would recommend you take your son to a male group) and had her tested - X-ray, bloodwork, etc...and her hormone levels are perfect. So growth hormones would not likely help her much, and were not recommended. Also, her height prediction is about 5 feet to 5"1, which is good enough for a girl.

I personally know people who were on growth hormones and they were glad they did it. They did not grow unnaturally tall - they are actually quite average. In fact, one young lady I know is of average height, but the rest of her siblings (who did not do it) are short. My dentist told me his son did the growth hormones because he was projected to be 5"2, and he's 5"7 (which is not huge for a guy).

It's not for everyone, and it's not even recommended for everyone. If I were you, I'd take your son to a pediatric endo and then see what he says. Then make an informed decision.

If you won't do the hormones under any condition, though, then don't bother wasting your time any further.

Hatzlacha whatever you decide.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:50 am
Hi, I couldn't not reply to this thread. My parents did extensive research before deciding to go ahead with giving my brother growth hormones.

While it is acknowledged in the medical world that there are side effects, they are not common when taken under the guidance of a competent endocrinologist. Every person has a height that they are physically capable of reaching and the hormones can not make a person grow taller than that although it can cause overgrowth in certain bones such as the jaw.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:52 am
I'm the above amother, just wanted to add that the hormones are most effective when beginning treatment prepuberty. Also, if you are in the tristate area, I can give you the name of the ped endocrinologist that my brother goes to.

anon for this

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:02 pm
It is indeed true that people who were injected with growth hormone in the 1970's died, but they didn't die because of exposure to growth hormone. They died because the growth hormone used then was extracted from human cadavers, some of which were infected with CJD (related to mad cow disease). All human growth hormone used since the 1980's has been generated by engineered bacteria in labs, and cannot infect anyone with CJD.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:06 pm
Thank you, everyone! I'm OP.

I really appreciate this input- keep it coming.

My DS wants it, he doesn't know about any potential risks though, just that doctors have something that could help you be taller.

I volunteer in the kids school a lot. This DS is in 7th grade, and I can see that he is among the shortest of the 6th graders, and he is among the oldest in 7th grade!!

I know that it's most affective per-puberty, which is why I need to make a decision asap, as he's 12.5 and my DH says he was already in puberty at this age.

I'm not in the tri-state area, but thanks for that offer! I'm in Baltimore. I trust my pediatrician, but I'm used to trusting him for strep throats and antibiotics... this seems to be a much bigger deal!

Keep the info coming, thanks, ladies!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:11 pm
A different amother, but I also couldn't pass by this thread without replying.

First of all, that poster that said that hormones can make you grow unnaturally tall is wrong! You cannot grow to a height that you are otherwise not genetically capable of attaining. Growth hormones will simply help you reach a height that your body can reach but for some reason you body isn't getting the job done on its own.

Second, of all, it is no longer just the vogue to give growth hormone merely because one's short. An endocrinologist will run many tests to see if the body is not working as it should and if there is a medical reason why your child is not growing. The most common cause is a growth hormone deficiency, and injecting hormones is basically giving the body what it should be making on its own. Other causes can be failure for the body to respond to the hormones, all of which are treatable. Don't look at is as doing something unnatural to the body, but more as helping the body function as it should.

There are also situations where there is no detectable cause of short stature, but based on the height of other family members, a child does not appear to be reaching his/her optimal height (this is calculated using a few different factors) and a doctor may recommend treatment in this situation as well. This is the most "experimental" category since you don't really know what, if anything you are treating, but many doctors will recommend it if they feel the benefits will outweigh the risks.

Also, I hate to jump on other posters, but the time to give growth hormones if before puberty, not after. Once puberty is over, your body will not grow taller, hormones or no. As a matter of fact, some endocrinologists will argue to try to delay puberty so that you give the body as much time as possible to grow.

Don't jump too far ahead. Definitely go to the endocrinologist and get the tests done. You are not ever obligated to do anything, but it's definitely worthwhile to make an informed decision. Wouldn't you like to know if something is not functioning as it should? And do not read sensationalist articles or web articles, or merely listen to random posters on a website. Only read information from legitimate sources, and speak to a few doctors before you form an opinion.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:12 pm
I am 4 foot 9 and I am happy with my size, the way Hashem made me!
I am glad my parents decided not to give me growth hormones. but then again I am very into things being natural. So I wouldn't do it for my short daughter either.

My sister in law is also under 5 feet, and we both found a shidduch easily and it wasn't a problem.

Kids size clothing are alot cheaper! You'll save money by keeping him the height he was born to be.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:12 pm
I can relate to your child being the shortest - as posted my DD looks like she could be my 10-year-old's twin - and my 10 year old is also on the petite side - though not as much. I get comments all the time that she is so bright for her age - because they don't guess her age!

Ask your pediatrician for a recommendation to a pediatric endo. I'm sure there are good choices in your area. Then make an informed decision. As much as your pediatrician is great - he/she is not an endo so it's not his/her area of specialty.

Hatzlacha.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
A different amother, but I also couldn't pass by this thread without replying.

First of all, that poster that said that hormones can make you grow unnaturally tall is wrong! You cannot grow to a height that you are otherwise not genetically capable of attaining. Growth hormones will simply help you reach a height that your body can reach but for some reason you body isn't getting the job done on its own.

Second, of all, it is no longer just the vogue to give growth hormone merely because one's short. An endocrinologist will run many tests to see if the body is not working as it should and if there is a medical reason why your child is not growing. The most common cause is a growth hormone deficiency, and injecting hormones is basically giving the body what it should be making on its own. Other causes can be failure for the body to respond to the hormones, all of which are treatable. Don't look at is as doing something unnatural to the body, but more as helping the body function as it should.

There are also situations where there is no detectable cause of short stature, but based on the height of other family members, a child does not appear to be reaching his/her optimal height (this is calculated using a few different factors) and a doctor may recommend treatment in this situation as well. This is the most "experimental" category since you don't really know what, if anything you are treating, but many doctors will recommend it if they feel the benefits will outweigh the risks.

Also, I hate to jump on other posters, but the time to give growth hormones if before puberty, not after. Once puberty is over, your body will not grow taller, hormones or no. As a matter of fact, some endocrinologists will argue to try to delay puberty so that you give the body as much time as possible to grow.

Don't jump too far ahead. Definitely go to the endocrinologist and get the tests done. You are not ever obligated to do anything, but it's definitely worthwhile to make an informed decision. Wouldn't you like to know if something is not functioning as it should? And do not read sensationalist articles or web articles, or merely listen to random posters on a website. Only read information from legitimate sources, and speak to a few doctors before you form an opinion.

Thank you everyone, especially this informed amother.

Regarding puberty- are growth hormone not affective once a kid is in the MIDST of puberty? Can't puberty for a boy last from 13-17.... so are the hormones ONLY affective before puberty begins, or are they only not affective after puberty ends??

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:22 pm
For the person that had a good pediatriac endo in mind, please post the name and number. Also, is 9 years old too young to inquire about it.

newmother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:29 pm
I actually was very frustrated when I finished reading that Ami article because it didn't really discuss that now growth hormones are safe and ok to use when needed. I know of two people who used growth hormones. One was missing the hormone in her body so she would never have gotten taller otehrwise and the otehr comes from a short family and was also much shorter than she should have been. Both are normal height right now and are happy that they took the hormones.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
For the person that had a good pediatriac endo in mind, please post the name and number. Also, is 9 years old too young to inquire about it.

No! My dd is 7, and our pediatrician just referred her to an endo.

anon for this

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
Regarding puberty- are growth hormone not affective once a kid is in the MIDST of puberty? Can't puberty for a boy last from 13-17.... so are the hormones ONLY affective before puberty begins, or are they only not affective after puberty ends??

Growth hormone will be effective through most of puberty, but it's better to start before puberty because then it will have more time to work. An endocrinologist can determine a child's pubertal stage based on bone age/ physical exam.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:58 pm
May I ask how tall he is? My ds is 12 1/2 and 4'7". My dh is 5'7" like yours, but I'm almost 5'. His cousin that's just a year older than him is so much bigger than him. I also have two nephews who are taking growth hormones. They're taking it since they were very little. One is 6 and the other is 9. They're not brothers.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 1:01 pm
[quote]Thank you everyone, especially this informed amother.

Regarding puberty- are growth hormone not affective once a kid is in the MIDST of puberty? Can't puberty for a boy last from 13-17.... so are the hormones ONLY affective before puberty begins, or are they only not affective after puberty ends?

I have the same question. Also if someone could recommend
An endrocrinoligst in NYC much appreciated.[quote]
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics