Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Opened dry yeast not refrigerated...still ok?

SingALong

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 7:51 pm
I bought a big pack of dry yeast before rosh hashanah, and I put it into a plastic bag in the pantry. I took it out today and saw it says "refrigerate after opening"

can I still use it? should I put it in the fridge or is it too late and I should just throw it out?

Amital

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 9:03 pm
If you think about it, yeast is a living thing that releases gas to raise bread when combined with heat and liquid. The problem with storing yeast in a cupboard is that it deteriorates because of the heat and moisture..

I don't think yeast gets rotten without showing it visibly, but it might not be as active as it would be. I would be sure to proof it before using it, and be prepared to use more than called for if it seems sluggish. And store it in the fridge from now on!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 9:15 pm
store in freezer, you mean.

Amital

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 9:19 pm
Actually, I have always stored my yeast in the refrigerator. So no, not freezer.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:17 am
you've been lucky, or perhaps you use it very fast. I freeze ours.

Liba

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:24 am
We freeze ours too, but either way, you can easily proof it (put some in warm water with a bit of sugar and wait five minutes) and see if it is still working. Smile

Bella:D

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:25 am
Yeast is kind of the most important ingredient in bread in the sense that if it doesn't work your bread goes in the garbage so I wouldn't take the chance. I'd buy new yeast.

Liba

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:37 am
Bella, why waste it when you can easily proof it and see if it is good? It isn't like she has to guess and hope the bread comes out okay. If the yeast doesn't bubble and grow it isn't good. If it does, it is.

chaya35

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:53 am
Now I have the Fleishmann's company & it says no refrigeration required. The other companies I've had said for best result refrigerate. I always keep mine in the fridge for a couple of months. Over Pesach I keep it out of the fridge and it was never a problem.

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 8:05 am
I have never stored DRY yeast in the fridge. Or in the freezer. I keep mine (and I buy about a year's worth at a time) in a sealed, airtight/liquid tight container in the pantry with all my other baking supplies.

questioner

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 10:00 am
I've kept dry yeast in the cabinet for months on end (I buy 1lb packages) without any problems.

However, I found a bug in my yeast a few weeks ago, so now yeast is going into the freezer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen