Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How to be up to date without spending money ?

turca

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 5:48 pm
what do u do when u have no money for new clothing? 2 winters ago I was pregnant, last year I was still out of shape and this year im skinny and the fashion changed so much that whatever I wear from before makes me look much older because It is not in style anymoreor maybe because its too much of a classic style so uts associated with older people.
Basically I have suits for shabbat and for weekdays I .have shirts and if its cold I just put a sweater over it.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 5:56 pm
I don't know where you live, but if you're in or near Baltimore - There's going to be a consignment sale to benefit Hatzalah selling Ladies' clothing for about $4 or $6 per item. It will be in about a month. While some stuff will be out of date, lots of it will be fairly new. I will be donating things that are 1 or 2 years old that are still very much up to date but didn't fit me well for whatever reason.

shoemaker

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 6:00 pm
its called accessories put on a nice belt or a nice scarf & it looks totally diffrent.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 6:07 pm
For years I wasted time and money with a stylist/personal shopper. Those days are long gone. One thing that she always emphasized though: Styles come and go. Ignore them! But pieces that are good for you. Take good care of them. And they'll last. You'll have a timeless look, which is put together and you'll be good to go!

As for now, see how much money is in the budget for shopping-- and use it to invest in items that fit the bill of what I described. Over time, you'll put together a good wardrobe that will be "above" the latest trends.

And yes-- for a frum woman going from pregnancy to pregnancy, staying well dressed is super tough. I struggle with this as well. And I try to follow my own advice. LOL

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 8:03 pm
Sometimes all you need is a little skill with a needle to update clothes: taper a skirt or a shirt; reshape a collar or lapel ; add or subtract collar, cuffs, pockets, trim; change buttons. Then add some updated accessories like scarves or jewelry. When you wear a socko stylish pin on a plain classic sweater, the eye focuses on the pin and not the sweater.

turca

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 9:35 pm
Im really not so handy so making my own sewing is not an option. I like the above the trends idea. definitely I do have some good picks that look good on me. What if I invest in a good pair of shoes and a good hand bag? Would that make my plain things more up to date?
I really id like to give a challange to this fashion blog ladies around to see if anybody could create an above all trends look without investing much money.

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 9:56 pm
turca wrote:
Im really not so handy so making my own sewing is not an option. I like the above the trends idea. definitely I do have some good picks that look good on me. What if I invest in a good pair of shoes and a good hand bag? Would that make my plain things more up to date?
I really id like to give a challange to this fashion blog ladies around to see if anybody could create an above all trends look without investing much money.

I LOVE vintage/trift finds ! You just study seasons trends or read our blogs and figure out wich one fits your personality . Yes a good bag and shoes can bring any outfit up. Mix and match , keep the skirts you have IF the fit is good ,get new tops experiment with blazers and denim , wear accesories .

Go to Value Village , H&M Zara and mango when they have a sale Forever 21 is a goldmine for trend (quality is so ,so) . have a master list (I posted one) of classic Itemas , you add some trendy Items here and there and you always look fab .
Fashion is about creativity so I actually enjoy the hunt at TS way more than any mall ....plus nobody can dress just like me or wear the same dress ever LOL

Good luck and PM or e-mail any questions Very Happy

list link:
http://frumfashionmaven.blogsp.....95261

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 11:42 pm
Accessorize!!! Especially if you cant spring for new clothes. Belts, scarves, bags... endless opportunities. See if you can find an XSRE store near you, they have trendy accessories for dirt cheap (think, an $8 red wristlet that dresses up just about anything I wear). Or , if you do buy, go for solid colors in classy colors (black, brown, blue) that can easily and cheaply be accessorized later on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics